Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

Explain how you imagine a private individual advertising an item of personal property could possibly be illegal? What criminal offence do you think he's commiting? He can ask whatever he wants for it, and like it or not, his description does not actually misrepresent it in any way. And even if it did - that would not be "illegal".

You sound like you've been reading too much John Hall-style propaganda!

J.

Dont over react whatever you do! :lol:

I absolutely agree that what this guy is doing is poor form and I'd never do it but I don't believe it to be against either
the law or ebays terms and conditions.

Hopefully his items will remain unsold until he decides to price them more reasonably.

Edited by Subbeh

There is nothing illegal about it, maybe morally wrong, but not illegal. He has bought goods for x and is selling them on for y, pretty much what capitalism is built on.

For example I have bought this apple for 10p from the farmer, I have given it a good polish, put a sticker on it and popped it in a bag...it is now a bit like an apple you can buy from tesco...that will be £1 ta muchly....nothing illegal, but it would make me a bit of a bastard

[quote name='nightsun' timestamp='1446113098' post='2896932']
For example I have bought this apple for 10p from the farmer, I have given it a good polish, put a sticker on it and popped it in a bag...it is now a bit like an apple you can buy from tesco...that will be £1 ta muchly....nothing illegal, but it would make me a bit of a bastard
[/quote]

Simply to play devil's advocate - why? The essence of commerce is to buy cheap, sell for a profit - and that applies to anything that any of us have ever bought brand new - and probably to an awful lot of things we thought were secondhand bargains.

And I speak as someone who once bought a guitar at a car boot for £7.50 and sold it for £250... :ph34r:

J.

If its sold as an apple then its fair. If its horse sold for consumption as beef its not. I dont understnd how this case doffers from the horsemeat issue. The branding and the quality Mark have been removed...

I understand your points 100%, im probably being irrational thinking its illegal without knowing what part of what legislation this woild fall under, just thought this would be covered. The seller has done more than simply sand it down, changed a pup, but the item discription is intentionally misleading.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1446133538' post='2897213']
If its sold as an apple then its fair. If its horse sold for consumption as beef its not. I dont understnd how this case doffers from the horsemeat issue. The branding and the quality Mark have been removed...

I understand your points 100%, im probably being irrational thinking its illegal without knowing what part of what legislation this woild fall under, just thought this would be covered. The seller has done more than simply sand it down, changed a pup, but the item discription is intentionally misleading.
[/quote]

There's loads of laws covering sale of foodstuff in the UK because it's a matter of public health. To be honest I couldn't quote any of them, but it's an entirely different situation to some bloke offering a modified secondhand bass for sale on Ebay.

I don't think his ad's misleading at all - this is all he says:

[i][b]Road worn 50s Style Precision Bass. Right-handed.[/b][/i]
[i]This is a road worn 50's Precision bass that has been upgraded as follows[/i]
[i]The pickup is a brand new Semour Duncan SCPB-3 quarter pound single coil and the strings are D'Addario.[/i]
[i]If you want something different that sounds great then this is the bass for you![/i]
[i]There is a hairline crack on the back of the bass which has been professionally glued. I have tried to show this in one of the photos[/i]

If he'd included something along the lines of "this bass has been attacked by some idiot with a hacksaw, a belt sander and no idea, and now looks like a complete piece of crap", it would have been significantly more representative! However there's no actual lies, deception or misrepresentation in what he does say.

He's free to ask as much money as he wants for his butchered £23 bass - fortunately it doesn't mean he'll get it!

Anyway - back to the Dekos. Where's my £35 T-Bird? :D

Jon.

We've been here before with this seller.

He is entitled to sell it at whatever he wants providing he describes it accurately under eBay rules. To sell something as "New Other" and then reply to a query about what the little 'D ' stamp on the heel is and say it is a 'dint' is a lie...but does not contravene eBay rules.

The Seller's comment to the person who asked about the dint and then suggested it was a Deco, was something like "get a life". Just like with a certain other Guitar Builder held in awe by Basschat, these people are exceptions rather than the rule and they are clearly not becoming millionaires, so maybe it's better for us onlookers just to keep our feet dry on the moral high ground.......?

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1446052037' post='2896547']
Well, as ive asked for, could you be helpful in high lighting how my opinion is wrong on a legal basis. Do you kmow how this has been tested? If you know about the legality of this scenario then please share.
[/quote]

I think the term [i]Caveat Emptor[/i] would be apt.

(and it seems way more legal when we use latin doesn't it?)

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1446116031' post='2896963']
And I speak as someone who once bought a guitar at a car boot for £7.50 and sold it for £250... :ph34r:
[/quote]

and that's the one you'll tell us about! ;) :D

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1446162219' post='2897487']
and that's the one you'll tell us about! ;) :D
[/quote]

I'll freely admit I've made a lot more money flogging old guitars and basses than I ever have playing the damn things!

In my defence, I've always put a lot of work in to make them look & play as good as possible, and all my Ebay sales were 99p/no reserve. Which means I've lost money a few times too.

I'm sure I'm still going to hell, though. :ph34r:

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1446166067' post='2897508']
I'll freely admit I've made a lot more money flogging old guitars and basses than I ever have playing the damn things!

In my defence, I've always put a lot of work in to make them look & play as good as possible, and all my Ebay sales were 99p/no reserve. Which means I've lost money a few times too.

I'm sure I'm still going to hell, though. :ph34r:

J.
[/quote]

You mean it is actually possible to MAKE money selling instruments?

I'm definitely going about this the wrong way... I've never sold a single piece of kit for more than I bought it for :blink:

[quote name='enssorcel' timestamp='1446204191' post='2897654']
Hey risky Basschatters :lol:

Just ordered a Harley Benton B-550FL deko for around £48 including shipping! Only regret is that the flats or tapes I'll be buying for it will be almost the same price :P
[/quote]

Status do a Flat Wound nylon string set for £21.50 plus postage.....

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1446550941' post='2900179']
4 string and 7 STRING HB deckos. P bass gone already

[url="https://m.thomann.de/gb/decorative_guitars_and_basses.html"]https://m.thomann.de...and_basses.html[/url]

EDIT: listed as B stock
[/quote]

Wow! I must get around to finishing the rewrite of my program to use the mobile site to.

7-string is among the most expensive dekos ever. It is a deko. £127. If I didn't have one already, I would buy that, however. A bit more than half of what I paid for my non-deko version.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1446551178' post='2900185']
Wow! I must get around to finishing the rewrite of my program to use the mobile site to.
[/quote]

Mobile seems to be where new Dekos are listed first. They also hang around longer when sold, until new stuff appears it seems.