Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

Oh Noooooooooo...!!! I ordered the short scale HB P copy yesterday mid afternoon with plans to put piccolo strings on it but this morning got:

"Dear Stephen,

Thank you for our recent order. We regret to inform you however that the item you ordered has been completely sold out and we will not be stocking it anymore. This is why we could not process your order – please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

[b]Plamen Marchev[/b]
International Sales"

I may well be clutching at straws here...but can anyone who's had an order cancelled confirm if they've had the same wording (i.e. "not be stocking it any more") but then found that the model has then been listed in the Deko section again some time later? Or does it really mean what it says and they are stopping the Short Scale HB model altogether and the remaining stock doesn't include any categorised as Deko?

I don't really need a piccolo strung bass so this would've been a dirt cheap option that I could justify to my fiancee while we're saving for our wedding whereas I can't justify the non-deko version unless it's going to be the only option.

Yeah [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/186-stevebasshead/"]stevebasshead[/url][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4] I've had that message about basses I've tried to pick up deko and missed out before, they keep coming around.
I also missed out on the deko shorty this time...[/size][/font][/color]

The nut came off the output jack on my HB Prog 4 on Saturday. I screwed it back on, it fell off again the next day. The nut is very thin and very few exposed threads on the socket for it to grip. I removed the back cover and the jack plate. There is just enough slack in the wiring to pull the socket out. There is a second nut behind the plate - I screwed this back a few turns and re-assembled holding the socket to tighten the nut. Added a few drops of nail varnish to the thread.
A point to watch out for. My fourth jack socket problem in 12 months...

i had the same problem on my 5 string (Non-deko), i put it down to it being cheap Jack socket and just replaced it with one lying around, i also found it didn't hold the jack in very well and it felt like it would fall out even when just sitting about the house with it

Just a quick update on my Deko JB-75NA;

I had this bass now for month and a half and I only tuned the strings 3 times in the first week (new strings). After that there was no need to tune it! These tuners work nicely! At least for now they do. And yes I am playing this bass daily.

Edited by Che

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1444401917' post='2882977']
I find it difficult to believe that they won't have shorty Ps in stock in the future. I would guess that there will be dekos too.
[/quote]
[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1444421995' post='2883237']
I've had that message about, LH Jazz and RH P, basses that have continually turned up again and again and again since...
[/quote]
[quote name='Supercollide' timestamp='1444427280' post='2883276']
Yeah [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/186-stevebasshead/"]stevebasshead[/url][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] I've had that message about basses I've tried to pick up deko and missed out before, they keep coming around.
I also missed out on the deko shorty this time...[/font][/color]
[/quote]Cheers chaps! I'll keep checking the deko page :-)

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1444748180' post='2885572']
i'd be tempted but any Deko over £40 is too rich for my blood!
[/quote]

Ha ha, that's what it's got like with the dekos.
Fifty quid for a brand new bass is just too much :D

I think that the basses are good value, even at high price. Dekos have definitely changed my impression of instrument prices. Thinking about this from society's POV, this may not be a good thing. There are a number of companies that have tried to start up selling basses, which couldn't make a go of it because the basses can't be sold for a good profit. Revelation seem to be making a go of it, but others have come and gone.

Consciously I know this, but subconsciously my impression of what I should spend has definitely changed. I want a Santos Serious classical. Is £123 or whatever it is that the full price one costs really a lot?

AT

I agree 100%. Even if ,as I suspect, the deko price is close to unit cost that wouldn't stop me buying another at full price.
Knowing the mark up on my PB-50 I'm still happy but I'll definitely think twice when looking at other mass produced brands.

Course it's not as clear cut,the big players have more workers wages to pay and share holders to consider.That's one thing Thomann don't
need to worry abour :)

Edited by kodiakblair