Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1443204757' post='2873132']
look here I could pay £80 for a deko! [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harley-Benton-Jazz-Bass-In-Natural-Ash-Left-Handed-/262064299493?hash=item3d043fdde5"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3d043fdde5[/url]
[/quote]

I thought he'd been reported? Saying it has a tiny mark (like a D!) is not the same as saying it was "sold as decoration only". He should effin well say what it is and not pretend the deco stamp is a mark.

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1443186734' post='2872939']
Are any deko owners having buyer remorse? My acoustic fretless 4 is nice and the only work that needs doing is the high action / nut slot deepening..... Fighting with myself whether I can justify keeping it (too many basses, and others are objectively better instruments)!!! Anyone else have this "problem"?
[/quote]

I bought one of the Mosrite Baritones.

I really like it...but it has two niggles that need me to do actual proper tech work to it and I'm really frustrated with it. I'm tempted to rage-quit it, sell it, and buy a more expensive baritone.

No buyers remorse for me. Wanted to see if I'd get on better with the fretless bass uke than my fretted one. Never owed an acoustic bass so got one. £20 for a PB-20 to try a set of F# strings,another PB-50 in case I make a mess of a project bass and the JB-75 was my entry into dekos.

All told maybe £150,spread over a year. All served a purpose.

I'm very glad I bought the ones I did... They were all great basses, particularly the jb75s.

It's good to play lots of different basses, it all helps you to work out what you like and don't like. For the price of a deko its well worth it for the experience.

... I've mostly learned how good HB gear is. Amazingly so IMO.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1443287487' post='2873615']
It's good to play lots of different basses, it all helps you to work out what you like and don't like. For the price of a deko its well worth it for the experience.

[/quote]

+1 especially when you don't have any decent music shops around to try out different basses.

And the quality is indeed exceptional for this price point. 😀 What's not to love?!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1443287487' post='2873615']
I'm very glad I bought the ones I did... They were all great basses, particularly the jb75s.

[/quote]
very fair! I know I'm still guilty at turning my nose up at gear as soon as I know it's not US/German/Japanese, but the HB was a real eye-opener in that sense

Edited by roman_sub

My PB-50 turned up today and just had a quick check over and play at work and it has finally happened, this bass can actually be classed as unplayable, as you cant fit a jack into the socket due it being too small in circumference. other than that it is completely fine and once i took the cheap scratch plate off quite lovely to look at! iv got loads of spare jack sockets at home as it will be a 2 minute fix and hopefully i very playable bass! i especially like the very chunky neck

Also

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jb_75_na_vintage_serie_deko.htm?o=5&ref=mal_a_5&search=1443442177

Edited by Andytre

I pushed the button on a PB50 last week, and it turned up today: I've had worse basses for ten times the price, I really have. Not too heavy, either - will have to see what it sounds like amplified, but I can't find a thing wrong with it...

My PB50 and JB75 both turned up today. I haven't tried getting a jack into the socket on the PB50 yet, but the only thing i can find wrong with that is the ends of the cloth around the wiring coming up out of the pickup is all splayed and ugly, and the very tip of the headstock has a light patch.

The JB75 doesn't even have the D stamps, but the E string rattles on an openstring. The neck relief seems fine, so i wonder if the nut is the problem... I've never learnt to fiddle with nuts, maybe this is a good time to figure out how to install a new nut.

My PB-50 turned up last week as well. No problems with jack sockets,stiff tuners or pots. The tape round the pickup is showing some copper and the cloth covering
on the wire is frayed but hardly the end of the world.

The volume of the E is a lot louder than the other strings and it appears to be set as low as it can go. I bought it to use the body after I made a hash of routing the other PB-50
but have since discovered a Peavey SF will cover that mess :) As the scratchplate is a 3 ply I might chamfer the edge to improve the look and play around with the pickup.

Certainly no complaints and the £20 Adam Hall power strip I also ordered served 2 purposes.
1. neatly filled the 1U gap in the rack.
2.Used all the EEC leads I had spare and only 1 cable hanging out the rack.

With voucher and delivery 56 euro. What's that £40 ?

Bargain

So far, I'm enjoying the PB50 much more than the JB75. I discovered the cause for the deco price on the PB50, it has a dent on the bottom edge of the headstock. No big deal! Sounds nice, plays alright, I'm happy!

The JB75 meanwhile has a full set of sharp fret ends, and a high fret somewhere up the dusty end, I think I need to get it booked in for a fret dress. Also, the binding looks a bit tacky and cheap to me...

Edited by allighatt0r

I've had my JB75 for a couple of weeks now. I've not played it that much, and I picked it up a few days ago and noticed that the binding that was loose at the neck pocket end had tightened up! I could swear that the fret ends aren't as sharp either, and the action is now higher. Funny stuff, wood.

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1443702877' post='2877007']
also looking out for PB50s (i know i shouldn't), got an idea for swapping the pickup out for a filtertron or something a bit different
[/quote]

Funny that makes 2 of us!

Hiya,
Brand new to basschat but I recognise a few of you from talkbass.
just thinking about the links your folks have posted, surely a weblink searching fro 'deko' with in stock items only and Harley Benton as manufacturer would work on pc?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.html?sw=deko&vf=true&filter=true&manufacturer%5B%5D=Harley%20Benton

[quote name='Supercollide' timestamp='1443735991' post='2877382']
just thinking about the links your folks have posted, surely a weblink searching fro 'deko' with in stock items only and Harley Benton as manufacturer would work on pc?
[/quote]
The reason that people post links to the mobile site is that the mobile site seams to have a better selection of the instruments than the www. site.