Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

fretless progressive turned up this morning 10 minutes before i had to head out to work so only had a few minutes to have a play, it all seems to be in working order, the neck is nice and straight, the fret board is really nice and all the electronics and hardware seem sound, the setup seems fine to me and it only needed a quick tune to get it playing nicely, the only problem i can find in my rushed check over is that the rear panel that covers the electronics isn't cut perfectly and looks a bit rough around the edges other than that and the D stamps its quite a lovely guitar!

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1440494103' post='2851167']
Some pics including one of the backplate, sorry about the quality I don't own a camera other than the one on my phone!
[/quote]

That rough bit round the edges is possibly just the plastic film they put on it? Peel that off and it'll look shiny and new :)

I had a four string fretted progressive and apart from the stock strings I was very impressed. Yours looks equally as good :)

Classical electro-acoustic turned up yesterday. Haven't gone over it with a microscope yet but it looks like the binding on the body edge is slightly marked. It's a passive preunamp which was a little confusing as I looked in vain for the battery box. The curse of nylon strings (which I've never encountered before, having never changed the strings on my brother's classical) as they're still stabilising. Still, I own Ashbories so I know all about that.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1440500595' post='2851251']
I've decided to join this party and ordered a Kahuna uke - let's see what happens . What could possibly go wrong? :huh:
[/quote]

I did the same... Mine is out for delivery at the minute so might be waiting for me when I get home! Be interesting to compare it to my Kala, which is nothing to write home about to be honest!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1440500111' post='2851240']
My back plate was the same, and it was the graphite shielding paint they use showing between the back plate itself from inside the cavity.
[/quote]

I'll take a look when I get in, I'm probably gonna dismantle it and have a good look while I wait for my tape wounds to come trough from strings direct!

you gota be careful when join this thread it can be VERY addictive

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1440506861' post='2851334']
I'll take a look when I get in, I'm probably gonna dismantle it and have a good look while I wait for my tape wounds to come trough from strings direct!

you gota be careful when join this thread it can be VERY addictive
[/quote]

I was tempted to swap the bass and treble controls as they seem the wrong way around with Bass closer to the neck than Treble. That said I have not checked if the wiring loom allows...!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1440525374' post='2851598']
Several times now I've seen people reselling Deko instruments and necks (not on basschat), describing the stamp marks as small dents but failing to mention that they were sold as unplayable seconds for less than the price the resellers are asking. Is anyone else a bit uncomfortable with that?
[/quote]

Yes, I am a bit uncomfortable with that. If I sold one, I would give an honest description of its status.

Several times now I've seen people reselling Deko instruments and necks (not on basschat), describing the stamp marks as small dents but failing to mention that they were sold as unplayable seconds for less than the price the resellers are asking. Is anyone else a bit uncomfortable with that?
[/quote]

I'm bit on the fence about it. More a feeling it isn't right. But if the item has had any problems sorted and it's perfectly fine then it's less of an issue if they have put the time and knowledge in to fix it. Ive seen much worse things been done in sales. But ethically it should be mentioned.
If I was selling a Deko I would state it was a Deko but has had what ever it needed fixed. A lot of dekos have little wrong with them in some cases they just needed a good setup, fret work etc.

[/quote]

I've seen someone from Basschat selling a Deko for £80. Admittedly he has said it is a Deko but still I thought that was ridiculous.. It didn't seem to have upgrades to it.

Edit. Having thought about this more, the bass will have had a full setup so maybe not so ridiculous at all.

Edited by Myke

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1440526755' post='2851628']
I'm bit on the fence about it. More a feeling it isn't right. But if the item has had any problems sorted and it's perfectly fine then it's less of an issue if they have put the time and knowledge in to fix it. Ive seen much worse things been done in sales. But ethically it should be mentioned.
If I was selling a Deko I would state it was a Deko but has had what ever it needed fixed. A lot of dekos have little wrong with them in some cases they just needed a good setup, fret work etc.
[/quote]

I've no issue where there is full disclosure about the instrument having been sold as a second and where the work done is clearly described. For example, Mr Foxen from here has been doing that on his own page, completely honestly described and his markup isn't massive either. I'm OK with that, and I'm sure they're decent value for someone who doesn't do their own setup work. It's where they're flipped without mentioning their Deko status that I feel it gets misleading.

I have been selling some of the dekos off without mentioning they were dekos, because by the time they leave me, they cant be considered for decoration only. I understand that there will be people who are Ok with this and people who are not.

When I bring them in, I check for any issues, electronics, truss rod, dents etc. I fix anything that is wrong, and give the bass a good setup and sell it on for an extra £20 that I paid for it. At that point as far as I am concerned, the bass has a dent which I dislose. The fact that is in the shape of the D does not matter. In my entire history of selling basses, hardly anyone has ever asked for the history of a bass and I very rarely give the history of the bass. However I do disclose the history if someone asks.

In fact some of the guitars and basses I have received didn't even have the D such as the neck of the jazz I received and my electro classical.

Ultimately they get a bass that plays better then the non deko basses and for around £20 cheaper.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1440536783' post='2851789']
Hmm, even if that's not straight-out lying its not exactly a high standard of honesty. You're intentionally withholding information in order to receive a higher price than you would otherwise.
[/quote]

Ultimately the question is, when is an instrument sold for decoration, not an instrument for decoration? There will be people either side of an argument.

I see your argument.

Say I received a bass, that was sold as a Deko, the body has a D on it, but the Neck has no D and nothing wrong with it after going over it with a fine tooth comb, do I sell the neck for decoration only? Is it necessary that I have to disclose that the body that is not included was considered for decoration only? Do all adverts with bass parts in it say why they aren't part of a whole bass anymore?

Say I go to a shop or manufacturer and buy a bass, it's not marked as B stock, however there is an electronics problem and a slight dent in the back of the neck which the shop or manufacturer knock off money. When I fix it and sell it on, should I tell this to the new buyer?

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1440537437' post='2851797']
Ultimately the question is, when is an instrument sold for decoration, not an instrument for decoration? There will be people either side of an argument.

I see your argument.

Say I received a bass, that was sold as a Deko, the body has a D on it, but the Neck has no D and nothing wrong with it after going over it with a fine tooth comb, do I sell the neck for decoration only?
[/quote]

You should give full disclosure IMO, anything else is misleading. I have a feeling you may know this already, as I notice you had not advertised these on basschat where the Dekos are widely known about and discussed.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1440537623' post='2851799']

You should give full disclosure IMO, anything else is misleading. I have a feeling you may know this already, as I notice you had not advertised these on basschat where the Dekos are widely known about and discussed.
[/quote]

I think there is a middle ground here.

From now on, if I am selling a full instrument, I will disclose that it was sold to me as a Deko.

If it is a part which has a D for defective on it. I will disclose that it was sold to me as a Deko.

If it is a part that I am selling which does not have a D on it. Works 100% working fine, then I don't see why I should have to disclose it as it is not part of a Deko instrument anymore and is not deko. If someone specifically asks for the history then I will tell them.

My adverts will read accordingly in the next hour and I may even post them on Basschat if I get enough interest. I apologise to anyone who was offended by my moral choices.

I knew you were right to an extent when I thought about it a bit.

Edited by Shockwave

New dekos up, including this solid spruce acoustic bass 'on request'.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_clb_10sce_ns_deko.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...sce_ns_deko.htm[/url]

Left handed jazz bass as mentioned above is still available: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jb_75lh_na_vintage_ser_deko.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ge_ser_deko.htm[/url]

Funny, my program thinks that the LH jazz is new as of a couple of minutes ago.

There's also a left handed strat.

Lots of classical guitars still around, e.g. this one: http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_cg200ce_wh_deko.htm

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1440539894' post='2851835']
New dekos up, including this solid spruce acoustic bass 'on request'.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_clb_10sce_ns_deko.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...sce_ns_deko.htm[/url]

Left handed jazz bass as mentioned above is still available: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jb_75lh_na_vintage_ser_deko.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ge_ser_deko.htm[/url]

Funny, my program thinks that the LH jazz is new as of a couple of minutes ago.

There's also a left handed strat.
[/quote]

It's amazing how few guitars are put on there, I know they go quickly, but they are gone without a trace of them ever being there. Not even a Sold out sign. Bass only quality control shocker?

Edited by Shockwave