Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1439593557' post='2844331']
I spent almost as long adjusting the intonation (awkward little grub screw) on each saddle as converting the Bass.

[/quote]

My patience gave on my Prog 4 Deko, I fitted a gotoh clone from northwestguitars. Not quite the same finish quality as the gotoh, but a better colour match. Now I need flatwounds, which will cost more than the bass :-( But it is a very playable bass, the neck and body dimensions suits me, so will be worth it.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1439640170' post='2844594']
My patience gave on my Prog 4 Deko, I fitted a gotoh clone from northwestguitars. Not quite the same finish quality as the gotoh, but a better colour match. Now I need flatwounds, which will cost more than the bass :-( But it is a very playable bass, the neck and body dimensions suits me, so will be worth it.
[/quote]

My Fender Flatwound strings from Thomann cost me £16 I think. I'm satisfied with the. But I'm not a string expert, so others may disagree.

[attachment=198599:P1040181.JPG]

I wood-glued thin pieces of the laminate (which I had to manually thin even more) into the slots where the frets were. The detail in the photo does not reflect the smooth finish: it looks a bit scruffy but it is not!

[attachment=198600:P1040182.JPG]

Welding tip files, (really useful for widening A-D-G slots) less than £2 on eBay delivered, mini end cut pliers with the end flattened for pulling frets c £2 on eBay and sheet of Wenge laminate, c £2 on eBay also!

I made a neck profile block after I removed the frets by using double sided tape on the fret board and sticking on some abrasive paper , 80 grit. With a 7" long piece of scrap wood I cross hatched in pencil across it all and ran it up and down the neck until the centre area was devoid of pencil.

After I trimmed the excess laminate off the slots, I used the neck profile block to smooth the neck all over and where there was break-out in the wood,mixed glue with saw dust I saved from the neck profiling to fill in gaps.

On reflection I should have maybe either tried to match the rosewood board with my laminate or gone for a starker contrast and got distinct lines, but hey ho!

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1439668377' post='2844890']
Excellent work York5stringer. Would it be possible for you to post eBay links for where you bought the mini end cut pliers and the veneer?

@KB - sorry to hear that your ukulele bass hasn't arrived yet.
[/quote]

Here you go:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290934693119?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=590137248493&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181810515167?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

I should have said I grooved a soldering iron tip so I could heat the frets before pulling them, apparently it melts the glue although saw no sign of any on mine. Also insulted tape in between frets to cut down on break out but reckon it made no difference.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1439697096' post='2845050']
Thanks Y5S. I've bought the mini cutters from that seller. How did you [b]flatten the ends to[/b] make them a better tool for removing frets? I'm going to have a go on the neck that Andy gave me.
[/quote]

On a linisher belt, you could use a grind stone or do it manually as they are not the hardest metal ever....

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1439567341' post='2844054']
What Pickups will drop in straight out?
[/quote]

Bartolini make some suitable pups.

http://www.bartolini.net/product/4-string-bass-soapbars/

The BC4C-B and BC4C-T seem about the right thing. I doubt I'll rush though, the stock ones seem ok and it would be sensible to see what different strings sound like first.

The higher priority could be replacement pots. The pre-amp seems very versatile, but the pots are a bit stiff.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1439728790' post='2845243']
On a linisher belt, you could use a grind stone or do it manually as they are not the hardest metal ever....
[/quote]

I'll see if I can get the machine shop at work to help me. Thanks.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1439730040' post='2845255']

[url="http://www.bartolini.net/product/4-string-bass-soapbars/"]http://www.bartolini...-bass-soapbars/[/url]

The BC4C-B and BC4C-T seem about the right thing. I doubt I'll rush though, the stock ones seem ok and it would be sensible to see what different strings sound like first.

The higher priority could be replacement pots. The pre-amp seems very versatile, but the pots are a bit stiff.
[/quote]

Wouldn't each single Bart pup cost more than the entire bass? :)

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1439747252' post='2845447']
I'll see if I can get the machine shop at work to help me. Thanks.

Wouldn't each single Bart pup cost more than the entire bass? :)
[/quote]

The aim is to reduce the curve on the "end" of the end cutters so that the edges will sit flush with the fingerboard and fit easily under a fret.. You may need to regrind the cutter edge although I didn't bother.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1439730040' post='2845255']

http://www.bartolini.net/product/4-string-bass-soapbars/

[/quote]

Looks like Norstrand DC4 might work as well!

Been thinking the same about my HB-550fl deko, as soon as I remember to pick up a new tape measure I'll measure it's pup dimensions.
I have actually toyed with the idea of replacing the neck pup with a spare Squier P5 pickup I have, and adding a cunning bit of all black pickguard to hide the evidence - always wanted a fretless Precision, it's probably my favourite bass tone. Hmmm...

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1439820322' post='2846012']
Looks like Norstrand DC4 might work as well!
[/quote]
Very possibly. The size looks about right. I'd check out the string options though. £220 for pups is, in my book, a lot of dosh when the originals sound pretty good anyway. My guess is the punters down the pup won't notice the difference.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1439821626' post='2846026']
..recently added a set of D'addario tapewounds and it's sounding and feeling ace.
None more black!
[/quote]

Nice! BTW, how do you keep the cushions on the sofa, when you stand it up like that? Mine keep falling off.

So I got a P a Progressive and a Electro Classical.

The P was alright, nothing special, nothing wrong with it as far as I could tell. Uninspiring, quite heavy so moved it on.

The classical came with a broken string, Otherwise great plugged in sound, finishing was a bit rubbish but for the money pretty good!

The Progressive bass, no problems, Found that pre-amp and pickups are fantastic. The neck is P chunky which is fine for me. Good slap tone. I want a 5 or a 6 string one of these for Gospel! Very high output, but clean. Keeping the progressive but giving it a full on refinish and setup. Lightweight as well. Didn't realise there was push/pull active passive switch until I started taking apart, ace!

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1439823618' post='2846036']
The Progressive bass, no problems, Found that pre-amp and pickups are fantastic. The neck is P chunky which is fine for me. Good slap tone. I want a 5 or a 6 string one of these for Gospel! Very high output, but clean. Keeping the progressive but giving it a full on refinish and setup. Lightweight as well.
[/quote]

I had a progressive too and thought it was an excellent bass.... I thought the PJ4 I had was even better aside from the horrendous pickguard.

The dekos I have had have made me realise just how good the HB stuff really is.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1439824705' post='2846044']

I had a progressive too and thought it was an excellent bass.... I thought the PJ4 I had was even better aside from the horrendous pickguard.

The dekos I have had have made me realise just how good the HB stuff really is.
[/quote]

Well I was going to try a 550fl anyway as I was really impressed with the HB shorty P I bought (at the full massive price of 50 quid 👍) so when my deko came up for 38 quid I just went for it, thinking that even if I do get an unplayable one then even if I could only use the neck it'd be worth it.
Playable indeed it is! There is a slight imperfection in the finish around the lower horn but that wouldn't bother me if I'd paid the full 110 for it.
It was set up lovely out of the box, the nut cut perfectly for a fretless. Electronics work in both active and passive modes. Weighs 8.4lbs.

Very very happy! (for once I haven't ripped myself off and lost money on a bass!) 😜

Great to see that everyone is enjoying their progressive basses.

@Shockwave - it's great to hear that your classical sounds great. I must admit however that I'm hoping that you won't praise it too much, as I really want to hold out for a Santos series assuming that Thomann will order more from their suppliers :) But, how does your classical play, and how does the fretboard feel?

Pics tomorrow but my new HB deko jazz is another step up from my previous dekos and they were good...

This is not just a good deko... It is also not just a good cheap bass... With Wilkinson pickups and daddario strings as standard this is actually a good bass... In fact it's better than that. It is an excellent bass.