Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1439385552' post='2842356']
Woo! i popped a maple neck on my deko jazz as the rosewood one had dead spots and i love it, cheapest bass i own and normally the one i pick up for mucking about at home! I also manged to convince myself i didn't need a progressive deko for a project as iv got far too many basses and guitars now, so glad they've finally gone!
[/quote]

I've just received mine. Man, did you miss out! :D

Bit annoyed. Ordered a classical and two of the rosewood jazzs. Linked someone else to the jazzs. He ordered 3 of them after me. He got his order and I got an email saying thst the jazzs were out of stock. They don't seem to do go through the orders in the order that they are sent in.

:-/

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1439462042' post='2843007']
@Shockwave - it looks as if dekos are more of a lottery than we suspected.

Which of the classicals did you order? I'm tempted to get a Santos Series electro-acoustic. At some undefined time in the future.
[/quote]

Bog standard electro classical. Cost 19 quid plus 10 postage. Cg300e

Thanks.

I see the electro-acoustic Santos series is not part of their range any more. Hopefully it will return, as has happened for other instruments that have disappeared and come back again.

I'm looking forward to your review of the CG300e when you receive it.

The reviews of the CG300e on Thomann's site are very complimentary. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbcg300ce_konzertgitarre.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...zertgitarre.htm[/url] But, I do feel specific components of GAS for the Santos series book matched two piece solid spruce top. When they turned up as dekos, they were about £50 I think.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1439550754' post='2843783']
So not only do you have the excitement of wondering what made it a deko,you get to ask " have you got my bass ? " in various languages.

Loads of fun awaiting you Monday Rob :D
[/quote]

Indeed :blink:

Although being English I have an embarrassing inability to speak anything else, so I just use the time honoured English bloke abroad method of communication... I'll ask if they have my bass... then I'll ask again only louder and slower.... then if that fails I'll go to the final stage which is asking again, louder and slower and in the accent of the country I estimate they are from... :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

New Bass Day!!

Yes, the HARLEY BENTON B-450 BLACK PROGRESSIV has landed. Apart from the customary "D" on the neck and body, there's a small mark on the back of the body - you can see it in one of the pics. The blend pot is a bit stiff and there might be a slight need for dressing the frets as there's a bit of fret rattle on the E string.

I'm happy though. I was all set for an immediate change of strings, probably followed by a set of pups, but it all sounds fine to me. All that for £40.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1439557126' post='2843875']
£40 well spent. And to think you were talking about packing it all in :D
[/quote]

Hmmm that comes an goes. I'm really still at the struggle end of learning and work gets in the way. So sometimes I just feel I'm not getting anywhere.

My Dad died with a set of golf clubs and a load of lessons behind him. He never really learned to play. When he was gone and we were clearing his gear out my Mum said, "It's sad really. It was all a pipe-dream".

I'd hate to go and folk talk about me and the bass in the same way. That does get me. :(

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1439556938' post='2843871']
New Bass Day!!

Yes, the HARLEY BENTON B-450 BLACK PROGRESSIV has landed. Apart from the customary "D" on the neck and body, there's a small mark on the back of the body - you can see it in one of the pics. The blend pot is a bit stiff and there might be a slight need for dressing the frets as there's a bit of fret rattle on the E string.

I'm happy though. I was all set for an immediate change of strings, probably followed by a set of pups, but it all sounds fine to me. All that for £40.
[/quote]

What Pickups will drop in straight out?

I've defretted my Prog 5 string and with nylon flats it sounds great. The stock pickups sound pretty good to me, given they are boosted by an active circuit.

I spent almost as long adjusting the intonation (awkward little grub screw) on each saddle as converting the Bass.

Truss rod worked well and I got the fingerboard almost flat and then wound the saddle heights down without having to do any filing of metalwork. A few strokes of a nut file dropped the strings at the other end and I can now do fairly imperfect Pino impressions.

All for the cost of 1 Deco, some mini end cutters and a sheet of laminate for the fret slots.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1439593557' post='2844331']
I've defretted my Prog 5 string and with nylon flats it sounds great. The stock pickups sound pretty good to me, given they are boosted by an active circuit.

I spent almost as long adjusting the intonation (awkward little grub screw) on each saddle as converting the Bass.

Truss rod worked well and I got the fingerboard almost flat and then wound the saddle heights down without having to do any filing of metalwork. A few strokes of a nut file dropped the strings at the other end and I can now do fairly imperfect Pino impressions.

All for the cost of 1 Deco, some mini end cutters and a sheet of laminate for the fret slots.
[/quote]

Congratulations on the successful deferring. Could you post some photos? Also, what are 'mini end cutters' and how did you use them in the process?

@KB - good luck for a delivery today, and a good result re: condition. I see that the fretted bass ukulele is still 'available immediately'.