Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

So the stripping has begun!

Some nice tidy wiring work. Body and neck as fairly tight together. The poly finish was fairly easy to take off with a heatgun and wallpaper scraper. The black underneath needed a combination of Wallpaper scraper and sandpaper 240 Grit. The white primer underneath is taking much more time. Wood is alder and pretty lightweight. No flame top or anything. Almost looks like a one piece body but cant confirm until the rest of the primer is off.

Has taken about 2 and a half hours so far.

50 pages and no hint of an argument - surely some sort of bc record! I find this to be such a happy thread, and it's nice to see people enjoying their Deko basses.

I have stopped looking on purpose; if I came home with another one The Boss would blow a fuse, bless her :)

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1439852769' post='2846331']
50 pages and no hint of an argument - surely some sort of bc record! I find this to be such a happy thread, and it's nice to see people enjoying their Deko basses.

I have stopped looking on purpose; if I came home with another one The Boss would blow a fuse, bless her :)
[/quote]

Yes, I expect there are one or two "domestic arguments" as a result of this thread however...

Few pics of the new 75 J...

Unfortunately I missed out on the natural 75 J last night but I did order up a cheeky p bass... It was rude not to really it was less than £20 :blink:

This bass sounds, looks and plays fantastic... I reckon if you reshaped the headstock and wrote Sadowsky on it you'd fool more people than not.

So I looked last night and the box in the top left hand corner of their Deco page was empty save a tick box. I ticked this and all of the 18 Decos revealed themselves. Tempting!

However this morning it still says 18 Decos but there are photos of the staff in the box and only 4 Decos showing......

As Marvin Gaye used to say, "What's Going On"?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1439852900' post='2846334']
Yes, I expect there are one or two "domestic arguments" as a result of this thread however...
[/quote]
Just done a Skoda and f̶i̶l̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶n̶k̶ ordered a set of TI flats for my Prog 4 (hides bank statement).

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1439848909' post='2846288']
So the stripping has begun!
Has taken about 2 and a half hours so far.
[/quote]

Thanks for the photos, Interesting to know it is not so difficult. Almost stripped my Shorty P, then realised on getting the Prog, the only thing 'wrong' about its looks was the white pickguard. never liked black guitars. (or chrome knobs)

Edited by pfretrock

those JB-75s look great with a black scratch, wish mine had one instead of tort! (never been a fan of tort) would a standard jazz plate fit anyone know?

i think i need to stop looking at the deko page i think iv bought like 7 dekos now :o (they werent all for me i promise!)

I wonder if they are deliberately making it all go weird in order to wrongfoot people who use programs to track the site.

Edit: If I click on grid view, I see the extra instruments too. This black classical guitar is available in grid view, but not in standard view.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_cg200_bk_deko.htm

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1439889614' post='2846433']
those JB-75s look great with a black scratch, wish mine had one instead of tort! (never been a fan of tort) would a standard jazz plate fit anyone know?
[/quote]

Yes there is tort and there is cheap tort... I've never been a fan but sometimes It can look good on a vintage sunburst J or P.

However this monstrosity from a recent PJ4 Deko I got is an abomination...

How heavy is it Rob?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1439881098' post='2846373']
Few pics of the new 75 J...

Unfortunately I missed out on the natural 75 J last night but I did order up a cheeky p bass... It was rude not to really it was less than £20 :blink:

This bass sounds, looks and plays fantastic... I reckon if you reshaped the headstock and wrote Sadowsky on it you'd fool more people than not.
[/quote]

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1439889614' post='2846433']

[/quote]

Should do. I changed the white pickguard that came on my standard HB jazz for a triple ply black/white/black off ebay. Holes all in the right place. Had to do a little filing around the pickup hole and where it buts up to the bell plate but apart from that that, all dandy!!

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1439893639' post='2846479']
Should do. I changed the white pickguard that came on my standard HB jazz for a triple ply black/white/black off ebay. Holes all in the right place. Had to do a little filing around the pickup hole and where it buts up to the bell plate but apart from that that, all dandy!!
[/quote]

thats good to hear! i've had to slightly adjust every pickguard iv bought bar one so that should be easy, to ebay!!