Why become a member? ×

Strap length: been able to play vs looking cool

col.decker

We have had this discussion before , and some folks got a bit upset when I suggested that there is nothing inherently cool-looking about wearing your bass slung low. The simple fact is that very few bass players who wear their bass below the waist can play very well . That is not a coincidence. You can't play with good technique if you are fighting to be able to spread you fingers and use your hands properly. The bass should be , as Essential Tension rightly says, at approximately the same height standing as when you sit with it resting on your leg , i.e around waist height with the top bout angled under your left breast.

Where does the assumption that wearing the bass low looks cool come from , anyway? Who came to that conclusion and why? I don't want to look like a disaffected youth or pretend that I am an American skateboard punk who doesn't get on with his parents. I like watching Antiques Roadshow, I think that most kids nowadays need a clip round the ear and I'm worried about house prices, and the height of my strap reflects that.

Edited by Dingus

I find playing sat down is uncomfortable. My bass has buckle rash where the cut away contour starts (I'd guess thats four to five inches lower than if I was sitting).

That's the length, give or take an inch, that I've always played. I learned to play bass standing up, I play gigs standing up, I write/learn new material standing up.

Do I look cool? I'm in a rock band playing live on stage; of course I look cool! The way I wear my bass has nothing to do with it, the attitude and stage presence is everything!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1387567891' post='2313555']
We have had this discussion before , and some folks got a bit upset when I suggested that there is nothing inherently cool-looking about wearing your bass slung low. The simple fact is that very few bass players who wear their bass below the waist can play very well . That is not a coincidence. You can't play with good technique if you are fighting to be able to spread you fingers and use your hands properly. The bass should be , as Essential Tension rightly says, at approximately the same height standing as when you sit with it resting on your leg , i.e around waist height with the top bout angled under your left breast.

Where does the assumption that wearing the bass low looks cool come from , anyway? Who came to that conclusion and why? I don't want to look like a disaffected youth or pretend that I am an American skateboard punk who doesn't get on with his parents. I like watching Antiques Roadshow, I think that most kids nowadays need a clip round the ear and I'm worried about house prices, and the height of my strap reflects that.
[/quote]

"Cool" can't be justified or explained. You either get it or you don't. And if you don't, you ain't.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1387573880' post='2313622']
For me looking cool is irrelevant in comparison to actually being able to play the instrument comfortably. I honestly don't know how some folks can play the their basses slung at their knees...better to be a Mark King than to be a Sid Vicious in my book!
[/quote]

I find this point a little moot. I don't know you white cloud, so please take this comment in the spirit it is intended 😜 (that funny symbol is me winking at you In case you can't see my emoticon), but if you're an average Jo player like the vast majority of us, I'm tipping you're no mark king or jaco or any other amazing player who slings their bass in the "how to play bass 101" endorsed position. By the same token it is a broad sweeping statement to say that anyone who slings their bass low is as rubbish as Sid vicious.

Again, find a height that is comfortable and works and just crack on with
Making a racket! 😄

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1387578045' post='2313649']
I find this point a little moot. I don't know you white cloud, so please take this comment in the spirit it is intended (that funny symbol is me winking at you In case you can't see my emoticon), but if you're an average Jo player like the vast majority of us, I'm tipping you're no mark king or jaco or any other amazing player who slings their bass in the "how to play bass 101" endorsed position. By the same token it is a broad sweeping statement to say that anyone who slings their bass low is as rubbish as Sid vicious.

Again, find a height that is comfortable and works and just crack on with
Making a racket!
[/quote]
Not a problem Damon...I just stated my world view on the topic. Its not meant to be an absolute universal truth for all - just my humble opinion. And you are right, I am no Jaco or Mark King in the playing ability stakes (I wouldn't swap places with Jaco for sure).

I try and let my playing do the talking. I've not gathered much dust yet (only 21) but for as long as I've been gigging (bar my first 3-4 gigs as a fifteen year old) I've had my bass somewhere between my stomach and my chest, so reasonably high. I also get a relatively high number of people comment on my playing too (based on some of the other stuff you read on here about people not noticing the bass player) so it must be working to some extent. :ph34r:

Over the years the height of my bass has changed quite a bit. Sadly, so has my weight!

These days I am quite inconspicuous on stage amongst lots of other musicians and I rather concentrate on my playing. I don't need to 'strike a pose' like I used to years ago. My playing is so much more accurate and dexterous when the bass is higher up my body.

Low for me. Not quite the whole Rob Trujillo, but still quite low. My picking arm is slightly bent and i can comfortably access the first 15 or so frets on any string. My 5 string i have a few inches higher than that 'cause it makes life a bit easier when playing that, and the strap wont let me wear it any lower. When i sit down i usually play more classical guitar style, it's a bit easier on the wrists.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

Having your bass at the same height on the strap and when sitting down only makes sense if you spend a lot of time playing sitting down. All my important playing (in front of an audience) is done standing up. Therefore I have my bass at the most comfortable height when playing standing up which for me when playing with a pick is to have the B-string about two inches or so below my waist. If I'm playing finger-style, I tend to have the bass somewhat higher - all strings just above my waist. This works best for me.