Why become a member? ×

Markbass speakers/cabs - lovers and haters?

TRBboy

I'm not so familiar with the Markbass cabs (other than hearing McNach's little 1x12" combo), but I have a 2x12" using B&C drivers which I've read are somewhat similar to the Markbass OEM models. I would say my cab is a little mellower and less upfront in the upper mids and highs than many cabs, but it's quite even sounding. This could be interpreted as muddiness or a lack of aggression, but this can be EQ'ed in effectively if desired.

I have been working with 2 Markbass traveler cabs since they were first introduced. Small, light, reliable portable cabs I.M.E. With these cabs earth shattering lows are out and they have a bump in the mids. However I found in a gig situation, with no P.A. support they worked really well and never got lost in the mix. Got plenty of plaudits for my bass tone from punters and fellow muso's. The Markbass F500 (no longer available) really powers up these babies really well.

At the risk of being accused of MB-hater i may say i dislike their cabs a fair bit. They work great with their own amps and not very much more (this, of course, depends on personal sound preferences). For me they have something going on the low-mid/mid range that makes them sound "boxy".
With a MB head connected they seem to bring out the best in the amp and the set sounds very decent, sometimes good, to my ears. I won't buy one though, they're not bad gear but just not for me.

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1387297129' post='2310416']
Bit of a random point but my 151P was made in March'12 out of MDF whereas my 121H was made in Nov'11 and out of plywood. Odd but they do both sound very nice to my ears!
[/quote]

That's very useful information. They used to specify poplar ply for the 151P, but I see they don't say anything any more.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1387293983' post='2310366']
I think Markbass gear sounds ok at home, but when it's in a band situ, it then comes into it's own.
[/quote]

That`s exactly it for me as well. I`ve also found that for me to get the sound I want with my Precision, which is a low-mid-monster, dropping the low-mids on the amp is key to getting this, and removing the "flub" that some people mention. As with anything, it`s trial and error, and once you hit the sweet spot with Markbass, well I`ve not been tempted by anything else.

I've used 210 combos, 112, 115 cabs and not liked any of them. By that, I mean, they did ok on the gig
but nothing to make me consider them further. I appreciated the combo in that it was small and light ( good carry )
and pokey enough and I think it is a great little rehearsal solution but didn't do it to the same degree on a gig.
I had to run it with another cab, so the single cab type solution actually wasn't.

As for the sound..the amps don't amp up well for me....it is not as simple as just turning up the master and keeping the sound
but the Markbass LM amp isn't alone in this, for sure.
The cabs...sound harsh/hard at low volumes and NEO, classically.... and people will insist there isn't a NEO sound, but all the NEO's I've used
sound same-ish. They have no problem handling the volumes so much, but lack authority, IMO.
Getting away from the NEO nuance insinuation.. the 12 and 15, certainly to my ears, sound low mid and flabby. I get this both onstage and in the audience.
Contrary to what people are saying here, I've never heard a good sound live or never been impressed much. To this end, my good bass player friend will use Epi cabs with MB head ..and Epi's are known for the pillow sound over Markbass, IMV...!!

I think they are decent kit and well made, but are short of being top quality. I think they'll do a good job, but not killer, but can see the attraction..
Decent QC, light weight and good price.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1387313190' post='2310656']
I've used 210 combos, 112, 115 cabs and not liked any of them. By that, I mean, they did ok on the gig
but nothing to make me consider them further. I appreciated the combo in that it was small and light ( good carry )
and pokey enough and I think it is a great little rehearsal solution but didn't do it to the same degree on a gig.
I had to run it with another cab, so the single cab type solution actually wasn't.

As for the sound..the amps don't amp up well for me....it is not as simple as just turning up the master and keeping the sound
but the Markbass LM amp isn't alone in this, for sure.
The cabs...sound harsh/hard at low volumes and NEO, classically.... and people will insist there isn't a NEO sound, but all the NEO's I've used
sound same-ish. They have no problem handling the volumes so much, but lack authority, IMO.
Getting away from the NEO nuance insinuation.. the 12 and 15, certainly to my ears, sound low mid and flabby. I get this both onstage and in the audience.
Contrary to what people are saying here, I've never heard a good sound live or never been impressed much. To this end, my good bass player friend will use Epi cabs with MB head ..and Epi's are known for the pillow sound over Markbass, IMV...!!

I think they are decent kit and well made, but are short of being top quality. I think they'll do a good job, but not killer, but can see the attraction..
Decent QC, light weight and good price.
[/quote]

Maybe you should get a Barefaced cab... :P

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1387230912' post='2309756']

Yes, quite right! :D

It's just that until this weekend, I hadn't heard any negativity about Markbass cabs, and this was quite forceful negativity! It just made me wonder if others feel the same way or not, and whether my perception of the quality of sound from Markbass products was way off or not.

I reality, the majority of my gigs are in dingy pubs, and I thinka Markbass rig is more than ample for that! :D
[/quote]

Markbass cabs are pretty damn good. Good quality, average prices, light and compact.

The most expensive cabs are not always the sound you want.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1387226674' post='2309668']
Interesting stuff guys! No one saying they're an abhorrent pile of crap yet anyway!

It's good to hear about the CMD121Ps, because I'm potentially looking to change my rig for one of those and a NY121 in order to have something even more compact and portable.
[/quote]

I bought one because I wanted something portable but loud enough to work as a monitor on stage (most times my rig is merely that: a monitor, so no point in bringing a 4x10 etc). To my surprise, I really liked the sound. To my even bigger surprise, this tiny thing could get really loud too. As I result, I've used it a few times on its own with a full band (bar gigs), and it worked really well without pushing it too hard. Location helps: use the wall to enhance the bottom end if you have to, etc). I have also used it paired to a Barefaced Compact, and that's a light and reasonably small but very big sounding rig.

It's my best bass-related purchase ever, together with my Stingray.

At home, on its own, it's kind of "alright". I was even disappointed when I first tried it (I bought it at a local shop, but ordered it on the phone, so that I could use their easy 14-day no-questions return and save me a trip into town)... but it really fits in easily in the band, for some reason.
I tend to leave the EQ near flat (slight boost on lows and high mids, slight cut sometimes on the low mids), and both filters off (sometimes the VLE set somewhere between fully off and 9 o'clock, and the VPF I rarely touch it). It works well like that with my Stingray (with onboard preamp set nearly flat, again, with just a touch of mids - John East MMSR with semiparametric mid control)

The only thing I don't like is teh tweeter. Kind of harsh. I wish it had a control so I could turn it down, or even off. Still, awesome little beast of an amp.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1387227446' post='2309681']
At home I have a CMD121P combo (piezo tweeter disabled)
[/quote]

Oh! So I'm not alone in disliking the tweeter in this otherwise fantastic combo? :)

How did you disable it? Does it entail anything other than opening it up and unplugging it?
I have no idea! But if it's not complicated, I'd like to try disabling it too. It just adds a very fizzy high end that I find irritating.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1387299670' post='2310453']
And possibly from over-enthusiastic use of the VPF control, which makes the tone sound great solo, but cuts way too much mid for use in a live band situation. When I had a Markbass amp I found it best to minimise both the VPF and VLE controls and have the EQ set more or less flat. This resulted in a completely unremarkable tone solo, but [i]very[/i] nice solid definition in a live mix.
[/quote]

+1!!!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1387329375' post='2310873']

Oh! So I'm not alone in disliking the tweeter in this otherwise fantastic combo? :)

How did you disable it? Does it entail anything other than opening it up and unplugging it?
I have no idea! But if it's not complicated, I'd like to try disabling it too. It just adds a very fizzy high end that I find irritating.
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've replaced the Le son piezo tweeter in mine with a Stage Line HT-30 Minature Horn Tweeter. £12-13 online, remove (4xphilips screws) grill, remove (3x philips screws) tweeter. Use a large file / small saw to enlarge the cutout at the bottom until HT-30 drops in. The wires are push fit, blue + black - . The results are so good in terms of reduced hiss and nicer highs that I was tempted to contact MB to suggest they made this a change to the current design. I then realised my combo is still under warranty so I'm keeping quiet in case it blows up![/font][/color]

I've had a STD104HR (4 ohm) for a few years now and really like it - granted it's the cab I leave in lockup at the rehearsal studios rather than what I gig with, but as a back-handed compliment to it that means it's also the cab I play through most; we rehearse every week even though we maybe only gig every month. I use a variety of heads with it (Markbass included) ranging from 200 to 1000W, and wooly, undefined, flappy and boxy aren't words I'd use to describe the sound I get from any of them.

Going on recent threads, though, maybe I'm a bad person to comment as my other cabs are a Super12, Midget and SP212, all of which seem to have taken a kicking for one reason or another! :rolleyes: Still, I like them.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1387313190' post='2310656']
[/quote]

I reckon what you're probably noticing is the sound of the cabs rather than the drivers. Bass cab manufacturers insist on building their neo models in thin/light materials. The only 'proper' cabs I know fitted with neos are the AERs. I had a GK lightweight cab here recently and 'lacking authority' is certainly how I'd describe it. The midrange colouration people are complaining about from the Markbass cabs could be due to the same thing, although I suppose some players are more sensitive to colourations than others.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1387359849' post='2310985']
I reckon what you're probably noticing is the sound of the cabs rather than the drivers. Bass cab manufacturers insist on building their neo models in thin/light materials. The only 'proper' cabs I know fitted with neos are the AERs. I had a GK lightweight cab here recently and 'lacking authority' is certainly how I'd describe it. The midrange colouration people are complaining about from the Markbass cabs could be due to the same thing, although I suppose some players are more sensitive to colourations than others.
[/quote]

wouldn't rule that out...but for the fact that the SWR goliath jnr cab was traditional build and I blew the PAS speakers and put 2510's in them.
People tell this is a great refit, but I didn't like the harder edge ... and also I think the cab needed a retune of ports...which I probably wasn't up for at the time.
I currently have Berg AE NEO's and they are fine... but I have other cabs that work better for me, than fine.

This little pet 'theory' is about weight and heft... but only can manifest itself when I plug in, turn up and think, 'yeah' :) :)
My thing about Markbass is really quite a picky thing as it really isn't bad stuff... but picky I can be :lol:
I feel the same about my Thunderfunk...and I wouldn't have said that 2 years ago.
Things move on...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1387362651' post='2311023']
wouldn't rule that out...but for the fact that the SWR goliath jnr cab was traditional build and I blew the PAS speakers and put 2510's in them.
People tell this is a great refit, but I didn't like the harder edge ... and also I think the cab needed a retune of ports...which I probably wasn't up for at the time.
[/quote]

I don't think you got very good advice when you bought the 2510s - they have a horrible 10dB peak at 2kHz which is accompanied by all kinds of nasties. I'm not surprised you didn't like them.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1387329375' post='2310873']

[/quote]

Rather than just unplugging the tweeter I sent the wires from the amp direct to the 12" driver in order to bypass what I assume is a crossover (it may just be some sort of protection circuit for the tweeter but by bypassing completely I thought it would send the full signal to the main driver).

Sounds nicer to me anyway :)

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1387363514' post='2311033']
I don't think you got very good advice when you bought the 2510s - they have a horrible 10dB peak at 2kHz which is accompanied by all kinds of nasties. I'm not surprised you didn't like them.
[/quote]

I asked around for the most popular 'convert' and they kept coming up. I accept it was a risk.
I really really wanted the PAS speakers repaired but couldn't find anyone who could do it and I went down all sorts of avenues
to that end.

It did make me re-evaulate whose opinion I would take note of, tho.... :lol: