Why become a member? ×

Markbass speakers/cabs - lovers and haters?

TRBboy

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1387332330' post='2310888']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've replaced the Le son piezo tweeter in mine with a Stage Line HT-30 Minature Horn Tweeter. £12-13 online, remove (4xphilips screws) grill, remove (3x philips screws) tweeter. Use a large file / small saw to enlarge the cutout at the bottom until HT-30 drops in. The wires are push fit, blue + black - . The results are so good in terms of reduced hiss and nicer highs that I was tempted to contact MB to suggest they made this a change to the current design. I then realised my combo is still under warranty so I'm keeping quiet in case it blows up![/font][/color]
[/quote]

aha, that sounds very interesting! Thanks for that!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1387364989' post='2311055']
Rather than just unplugging the tweeter I sent the wires from the amp direct to the 12" driver in order to bypass what I assume is a crossover (it may just be some sort of protection circuit for the tweeter but by bypassing completely I thought it would send the full signal to the main driver).

Sounds nicer to me anyway :)
[/quote]

Hmmm, it looks like I should definitely open mine up, and either try replacing the piezo of bypass it like you did... those piezo tweeters are so... "urgh"!

I owned a MB 102std had and a 101p and a 151std with a little mark 2.
I really rate them and would go back to them in a heartbeat.
I found the way the drivers move a lot rather unsettling, but never had an issue. The tweeter control on my cabs didn't seem to do much, apparently not uncommon, and they didn't project into rooms that well, with the sound loosing a lot of body over a short distance.
I ditched them for 'a popular British brand of light cabs' which I wasn't as keen on, and now run Bergantino AE210's which are just stunning. But despite the criticism I've a lot of love for the markbass gear, and they look cool too :)

Edited by gafbass02

I am also a fan. I use the CMD121P combo & NY121 cab and, for me, it gets the right balance of tone, price & portability. I am sure there's plenty of stuff that excels in one or two of these but for me, MB works & has proven reliable after 300+ gigs in 5 years.

It also sounds great with both double bass & bass guitar.

I also own a LM II head & an old MB 3x10 cab but can't recall when I last used either.

I am also a fan. I use the CMD121P combo & NY121 cab and, for me, it gets the right balance of tone, price & portability. I am sure there's plenty of stuff that excels in one or two of these but for me, MB works & has proven reliable after 300+ gigs in 5 years.

It also sounds great with both double bass & bass guitar.

I also own a LM II head & an old MB 3x10 cab but can't recall when I last used either.

Had loads of different cabs over the years,mostly 4x10s some 12's some 15s etc. My first experience was a Mb CMD 121h,bought after playing it in a shop,got rid after the first gig. Couldnt get the volume to keep up with the guitar and drums.Mind you what did I expect from a 1x12. Just recently played through a friends 4x10MB. Bingo! Bought a pair 104hf and a 104hr. Amazing sound and certainly cuts through everything,crystal clear and punchy with masses of low end.Really pleased. Can get really dirty too when I push em with a valve amp,speakers dont half move around!! Only complaints are cheapo plastic corners that crack and why only one speakon?
[attachment=150797:Mark bass and trace rig.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment I'm using two MB 4x10's with a MB SD800 and I agree with Ghost Bass about the boxey low mids. I've also had the un ported CL610 which sat in the mix well but had nothing much in the low end. However the MB 4x10's come alive when I put my SVT CL through them. One thing that that intrigues me is that I get more Bass players coming up to me after gigs and complimenting me on my sound when I use the MB rig than when I'm using the full SVT 8x10 rig, but the band's I play with allways prefer the Ampeg.
Anyway, I think once you get too a certain quality of gear there shouldn't be too much 'slagging off' made, as it's just a matter of taste.

I really rated the MB standard 410HF, sounded really great with a LM3. My discontinued (and now awaiting collection) 610HF was fantastic. Everything just sat in the mix and really let me feel what I was playing as well as hearing it. I also found the tweeter slightly noisy but remember the 410's to be really noisy, didn't take to fuzz too well