Why become a member? ×

Markbass speakers/cabs - lovers and haters?

TRBboy

Howdy y'all!

It's come to my attention that some people seem to passionately dislike the Markbass speakers/cabs, describing them as being wooly, undefined, and flappy, with poor dispersion, tone, etc, etc.

Having been a very satisfied Markbass user for quite a few years now, this has come as a surprise to me! I just wondered what other peoples opinions were really, and whether this does actually come down to anything quantifiable, or if it's purely subjective?

FWIW, I had a play around with mine at the gig on Saturday night, and I thought it sounded very tight, controlled, responsive and really punchy. In fact, another bass player came up to me when we finished and was raving about how good my sound was, and how it was punchy and articulate without being overpowering, and he could hear it clearly from anywhere in the pub! Of course the downside to that is that I guess he could hear all the mistakes clearly too! :D

BTW, yes, I do realise I'm probably about to start another row!

How dare someone start a non-Barefaced related thread. Don't the letters 'BC' stand for 'Barefaced Chat', after all? ;)

In all seriousness, whenever I have heard a band using Markbass gear it has sounded on the button. There is a local band with a talented young female bassist - she uses one of the small combos (12" I think) - and always sounds tight, articulate and sits very nicely in the mix.

Cheers

Geoff

I've had my 121P amp and New York cab since 2009.

Only issue (so far) was a problem with the tweeter in the cab. Had to have it looked at and repaired when it was just over a year old.

I like them - I bought them primarily for the weight. Easy to make a quick getaway LOL!

I've never had any negative comments about my tone - and I've played a variety of basses through them, Fenders and Rics.

The amp alone is no good at all IMHO - you need the cab in every situation.

My only gripe is even the two together can still be a little lifeless and lack presence at times - but they are small and lightweight, so I guess that's the compromise. I've always found the EQ a right PITA - sometimes I've had to work really hard to get a decent tone. My previous amp was a very heavy Trace Elliott - never had the same issue with that, it always sounded massive....which the MB for me never has matched.

Would I buy again? Don't know. I'm aware now of more manufacturers making similar equipment, probably cheaper. I'd probably take a drive up to Bass Direct and see what I could find! :)[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Hope this helps.[/size]

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1387214480' post='2309490']
It's come to my attention that some people seem to passionately dislike the Markbass speakers/cabs, describing them as being wooly, undefined, and flappy, with poor dispersion, tone, etc, etc.

[/quote]

It has come to my attention that some people like Fender basses. I tried one recently when I bought a couple of pedals. Wish I hadn't. Chunky with an action higher than the Tyne bridge. Not to my taste at all.

Subjective, you say. That about sums it up. I love my CMD121P. Never been happier with a sound.

Just occurred to me. Maybe it was hearing Fenders through a Markbass that made them sound wooly, undefined, and flappy. Scuze me while I run for my life. :ph34r:[size=4] [/size][size=4] :D[/size]

I've been using a Genz Benz single 12" speaker for a few years and jumped on the 'Genz going cheap' frenzy a while back, got one of their NX2-212T cabs then proceed to sell it on as it wasn't my cup of tea tbh. I then got a Markbass TRV 151 P as an extension cab for my single Genz, loved the Markbass cab so much I've gone and gotten a TRV 121 H to use instead of my Genz single. I love the slightly softer tone that my Thumbs now produce B) .

Edited by jimbobothy

Interesting stuff guys! No one saying they're an abhorrent pile of crap yet anyway!

It's good to hear about the CMD121Ps, because I'm potentially looking to change my rig for one of those and a NY121 in order to have something even more compact and portable.

I actually went to Bass Direct on Saturday, specifically to try some genz benz heads with Bergantino and Vanderkley cabs (and fully intending on walking away with something). Although they sounded incredible, I ended up feeling like maybe they weren't that much better than what I've already got, and perhaps the difference didn't justify the amount I would have to shell out (despite being told that markbass cabs/speakers are horrifically bad). I was hoping to find something much more portable than what I've got, but actually it wouldn't work out that much smaller and I would need 2 1x12" cabs (or one bigger 2x12") plus an amp.

It was really nice stuff, but I dunno.....

I think there's something I like about the Markbass sound, I find it to sound very natural, with just the right combination of warmth, puncb, clarity, and bottom end.

When I got to thinking about it, a GB Streamliner 900 with two Bergantino CN112s would cost me £1749. A CMD121P and NY121 would cost me £1164, and be more compact. And I don't have to worry about damaging the head or pulling it off the top....

I think I'm answering myself here! :D

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1387226674' post='2309668']
Interesting stuff guys! No one saying they're an abhorrent pile of crap yet anyway!

It's good to hear about the CMD121Ps, because I'm potentially looking to change my rig for one of those and a NY121 in order to have something even more compact and portable.

I actually went to Bass Direct on Saturday, specifically to try some genz benz heads with Bergantino and Vanderkley cabs (and fully intending on walking away with something). Although they sounded incredible, I ended up feeling like maybe they weren't that much better than what I've already got, and perhaps the difference didn't justify the amount I would have to shell out (despite being told that markbass cabs/speakers are horrifically bad). I was hoping to find something much more portable than what I've got, but actually it wouldn't work out that much smaller and I would need 2 1x12" cabs (or one bigger 2x12") plus an amp.

It was really nice stuff, but I dunno.....

I think there's something I like about the Markbass sound, I find it to sound very natural, with just the right combination of warmth, puncb, clarity, and bottom end.

When I got to thinking about it, a GB Streamliner 900 with two Bergantino CN112s would cost me £1749. A CMD121P and NY121 would cost me £1164, and be more compact. And I don't have to worry about damaging the head or pulling it off the top....

I think I'm answering myself here! :D
[/quote]

At home I have a CMD121P combo (piezo tweeter disabled) with an NY121 cab and also an Aguilar TH500 head with a Berg AE210.

They sound quite different but I like them both :)

The lower cost option is definitely the MB route but I love the form factor of the AE210 for gigging. I find it a really good height and it almost seems to disappear on stage where space is often cramped. Although the MB is narrower it's also deeper and taller & feels a bit bulkier on stage.

Obviously this is all a bit academic to anyone buying new stuff because the Berg isn't made any more. The CN212 is a killer cab but it's just a bit too bulky for what I need.

Where the MB comes into its own for me is transportability. The combo on its own is just great for rehearsing. I can sling it in the boot of a 3 series BM with ease and it's a simple one-handed lift to the rehearsal room.

I've not gigged the MB combo plus ex cab yet because the Aggie/Berg unit is tried & tested but I might give it a blast on Friday :)

In terms of the Streamliner plus CN112 route I don't find this a a very pleasing combination. I much, much prefer the TH500 with the CN cabs and the MarkBass heads tend to work well with it too. To my ears the Streamliner can sound a bit squashed and mushy and the CN cabs accentuate this because they are relatively clean and dynamic. Could be just me of course, lol.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1387227446' post='2309681']

At home I have a CMD121P combo (piezo tweeter disabled) with an NY121 cab and also an Aguilar TH500 head with a Berg AE210.

They sound quite different but I like them both :)

The lower cost option is definitely the MB route but I love the form factor of the AE210 for gigging. I find it a really good height and it almost seems to disappear on stage where space is often cramped. Although the MB is narrower it's also deeper and taller & feels a bit bulkier on stage.

Obviously this is all a bit academic to anyone buying new stuff because the Berg isn't made any more. The CN212 is a killer cab but it's just a bit too bulky for what I need.

Where the MB comes into its own for me is transportability. The combo on its own is just great for rehearsing. I can sling it in the boot of a 3 series BM with ease and it's a simple one-handed lift to the rehearsal room.

I've not gigged the MB combo plus ex cab yet because the Aggie/Berg unit is tried & tested but I might give it a blast on Friday :)

In terms of the Streamliner plus CN112 route I don't find this a a very pleasing combination. I much, much prefer the TH500 with the CN cabs and the MarkBass heads tend to work well with it too. To my ears the Streamliner can sound a bit squashed and mushy and the CN cabs accentuate this because they are relatively clean and dynamic. Could be just me of course, lol.
[/quote]

Thanks for that Molan, I guess if you like it, you like it, and that's all there is to it! The CN212 is a killer cab (and compact for what it is), but like you say you lose that flexibility/portability a bit. I think overall I liked the sound of the Vanderkley cabs best. They were justa little more natural, flat and open to me, and to my ears seemed to have a faster, tighter response. I thought the Bergs sounded a little more harsh and agressive to my ears, but then I was sat directly in front of the CN212!

All very nice stuff really, it's just difficult to know what to do! I'm fortunate enough to have a local Markbass dealer who had the CMD121P in stock, so I'm gonna try to go and check it out this week. Maybe it's a case of better the devil you know!

It did also strike me that although the Markbass stuff maybe isn't the best of the best, after 6 1/2 years perhaps it's become an important part of "my" sound?

Of course, the other advantage of my current setup is that it's big enough to fit the PA mixer on top, which actually helps to save some space on stage! :D

[/quote]

I have only heard the above from one Basschatter and he is most definitely wrong, wrong, wrong.
Markbass cabs are well-built with superb components and sound tight, well-defined and focused. IME, anyway.

The rear ported CMD121p is very room dependent, and you have to tweak it's location to suit each venue. Sometimes in a big room it needs to 'bounce of a wall, but in a small place with plenty of volume I'll often move it up on a chair and away from the wall to keep definition. Like many MB users I tend to run things pretty flat, but along with placement there should be enough tonal options with the mid controls and filters to get the sound you want in most situations. I guess you could say this about nearly all half decent combos though.

[quote name='Reverend' timestamp='1387230402' post='2309744']
Sorry to seem confused here, but why are you asking the opinions of others on MB gear if you already like it yourself? Other people's opinions aren't going to make the cabs sound any different, surely?
[/quote]

Yes, quite right! :D

It's just that until this weekend, I hadn't heard any negativity about Markbass cabs, and this was quite forceful negativity! It just made me wonder if others feel the same way or not, and whether my perception of the quality of sound from Markbass products was way off or not.

I reality, the majority of my gigs are in dingy pubs, and I thinka Markbass rig is more than ample for that! :D

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1387230558' post='2309749']
The rear ported CMD121p is very room dependent, and you have to tweak it's location to suit each venue. Sometimes in a big room it needs to 'bounce of a wall, but in a small place with plenty of volume I'll often move it up on a chair and away from the wall to keep definition. Like many MB users I tend to run things pretty flat, but along with placement there should be enough tonal options with the mid controls and filters to get the sound you want in most situations. I guess you could say this about nearly all half decent combos though.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, I guess that with an extension cab and using an isolation board it would be adequate for most venues?

Yet to try the extension cab. I keep saving the pennies, but end up blowing the cash on other bass related junk before I've got the £300ish required for a used ny121p. I've used the 102p that you have, and had no issues. If it was a bit boomy I'd tilt it to the monitor position which seemed to help. Maybe that was just the onstage sound that changed rather than what the rest of the room heard though tbh.

I use the CMD121P on its own in one band, and with the NY121 ext cab in the other. I went Markbass as it was light, but primarily it was due to whenever I heard a band play and liked the bassists tone, invariably it was a Markbass rig being used.

Now tone is subjective of course, but at a gig we played recently our producer happened to come along and he was raving about the bass tone I had through this little set-up - and he`s not one to flatter when he doesn`t like something, quite the opposite.

The only difference I would have is the tweeter control on the amp, the same as on the cab, purely so I could explore different sounds. But at present it`s both tweeters on full, and I couldn`t be happier with my sound. In fact this is just about the longest I`ve ever had the same set-up since joining Basschat - that must say something :)

Not for me I'm afraid... They are no doubt well designed and well made, I just don't like the tone. I tried a few different basses through a number of head / cab combinations at the gallery a little while back and couldn't find anything that wasn't,

...wooly, undefined, and flappy...
[/quote]

As with everything though, tone is subjective and they obviously aren't bad cabs. Just not what I'm looking for.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1387276630' post='2310047']
Accusations of mud might come from the rather generous low end and 40Hz bass control...
[/quote]

And possibly from over-enthusiastic use of the VPF control, which makes the tone sound great solo, but cuts way too much mid for use in a live band situation. When I had a Markbass amp I found it best to minimise both the VPF and VLE controls and have the EQ set more or less flat. This resulted in a completely unremarkable tone solo, but [i]very[/i] nice solid definition in a live mix.

Of course the above has nothing to do with cab love/hate, but I offer it up anyway. Thhp! :P