Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sexism in Music - Infuriating Things People Say to Women Musicians

xilddx

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/steph-guthrie/sexism-in-music_b_3573435.html?just_reloaded=1"]http://www.huffingto...just_reloaded=1[/url]

Pretty lame really, they are just dumb comments more than anything else.

The 'Burds of Basschat' must have better ones on this side of the watery expanse :)

Edited by xilddx

LOL I've had the ignore, the waiting-for-your-boyfriend/son/bandmate, the girls-don't-like-heavy-metal, the girls-don't-know-the-difference-between-bass-and-guitar, and the What! You play this big 5-string bass?? Left-handed too???? ['Cos it's more difficult that way, innit?] :lol: :rolleyes:

I don't remember seeing my now ex-boyfriend, a guitarist, ever being on the receiving end of something similar, but I guess you get used to this kind of sexism the same way you do to sexism in other aspects of life.

There are many, many men who work in music and aren't remotely sexist though, and I've encountered some who were not just unfazed but positively happy to be dealing with a woman musician.

I can't drive a car at all, let alone park it... :rolleyes: :P

To be honest with you, yes , yes, I know that some ( all) of those comments are potentially offensive to some people ( women , mainly) , but one or two of them would be rather funny in the right circumstances. If this woman ( who describes herself as a feminist advocate and community manager, so at least she got a real job then :lol: ) , really wants something to get worked up about for her next article, she should get in touch with me. If the mood takes me, I'll give enough material to keep her twitching until next Christmas .

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1386357819' post='2299335']
I once asked a woman to help me get my car out of a difficult parking space she succeeded where I failed!
[/quote]

Ah , the old " can you help me get this car out of a difficult parking space" trick. Never fails <_< . I think we all know what happened next .

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1386358130' post='2299340']
I was out with the female singer-guitarist in my then band some years ago. She was looking for a Telecaster. Shop assistant had to keep saying things like 'I bet you're just like PJ Harvey.'
[/quote]

Presumably naming one of the two female musicians he knew of?

The only issue I ever have with women is bands is the tendency for some very average bands to have a female singer as their USP, with no other female members- heaven forbid they should let a woman near an instrument!

Let me through, I'm a feminist!!! :D

Well I can honestly say I've never experienced any comments like that. The worst that's ever happened is a few lame comparisons to Suzi Quatro. But she's the only bass player some people have ever head of, male or female!

I don't feel patronised if anyone helps me with anything technical. That's cos I'm hopeless at anything technical. Which is not a quality exclusive to women - as can be seen from various threads on here about blokes who've blown up amps and other technical disasters.

Also, perhaps because I'm of a certain age I don't get the creepy rubbish. Or not that much that it bothers me. If I get any compliments I just take it gracefully.

However, there's a big difference between me as an amateur and relative novice and a women trying to make it as her career. It's a shame that gals have still have to put up with the crap occasionally

Oh and finally...I did used to think that patronising and surly service in certain music shops was because I'm a woman. But Basschat has made me realise it happens to everyone! :D

I've personally experienced 7 of those...... Do I win a prize :lol:

I just let it wash all over me now!

The best one is when we have people call to the house and ask "is your husband in a band?", "No", "your son?" "No"........ Very quizzical look...... "Why do you have bass guitars?"......... "because I'M a bassist and I'M in a band"...... Cue shocked look...... That must have happened about a dozen times!,

As a gigging (and rather mature!) sax player, I often get comments such as "You did really well playing that sax - well done!" :rolleyes:
I do admit to being rubbish with mics and electronic equipment :blush: ...... but I am the queen of parallel parking B)

Edited by SaxyBassist

In an uncomfortable parallel with the now locked Tom Daly thread, may I ask how many of the examples are truly sexist remarks and how many are just honest assumptions or misunderstandings based on people's general experience?

If you call out a plumber and a woman turns up it's likely to be a surprise because, let's be honest, it would be unusual in most people's experience. I wouldn't consider surprise sexist in itself. I also don't think it would be sexist to make some sort of remark along the lines of 'oh hello, I wasn't expecting a woman plumber' - crass though that may be. Something like 'do you mind luv, I'm waiting for the plumber' would cross the line though.

I'd suggest sexism is when women are treated as being somehow inferior rather than being surprised about their line of work or interest in certain instruments. I know women who have set national water speed records, competed in rallies and are commercial airline pilots - all of which elicit some surprise if the subjects crop up, but not in a sexist way.

Besides, there no real doubt that, with the possible exception of sheer brute strength, women are generally more capable than men in pretty much everything is there? ;)