Why become a member? ×

band borrowed rig and blew cab.

roonjuice

Thanks for all your input guys,
I will wait to see if there is a response before taking any action, and I won't name and shame, but the more astute of u will be able to narrow it down quite easily.
The reason i carry an overated head is simply because i use the gb in situations where i might power an 8x10 (mine) and the gig was little hike, so a MB2x10 is perfect. (played the gig before, mons, stairs, and i use as a monitor rather than pushing to the room) and i wanted a beer so taxi travel is easier.
Also the gig is a blues gig so i didn' t expect the previous band to be mega loud..
That being said, the gig could have now cost me £££. An expensive lesson for my generosity
balls

I too will never let anyone use my gear as i had the same thing as the OP when we supported Wilco Johnson at Fibbers in York a few years ago.
I explained to a certain mr Norman Watt Roy that the head put out more power than the cab could take so be careful !
When we packed our gear down after the gig i noticed that both gain & master volume were both up full !
Speaker shagged
i had to pay for the repair
cheers Norman

A point worth remembering here is that this tool is an experienced enough player to be in a gigging band and is supposedly a sound engineer to boot, so surely he should have the sense and experience to treat this gear with upmost respect, regardless of the power ratings involved, its a bit like an advanced driver asking for a spin in your car and then blowing the engine and doing a runner.............as someone else has mentioned earlier, if it was fine beforehand, then he has vandalised your gear with his reckless behaviour. If he doesn't put his hand in his pocket, then name and shame him, his band and the place where he is a sound engineer, because I wouldn't want him repeating this on anyone else's hard earned gear

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386062842' post='2295066']
There's not enough info in the OP. What were the circumstances during their set? Did the cab give up during their set, was it noticeable? Did you only notice the problem when you started playing? What happened after the band left? Any witnesses? If so what did they see/hear that might help you?

So far you have not stated any evidence.
[/quote]

That's the point. How do you prove it? I once had a guy tell me, "If I damage your bass I'll pay for it." I said to him; "I I tell you there's a scratch on it that wasn't there before, you're going to buy me a new bass? " No you're not. Sorry, that's my policy. He may think I'm a dick but he's the dick for thinking he could just take whatever he wants.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1386071231' post='2295205']
Come on..... there's no court case!

I never lend my gear. End of! It does get used as the backline in a jam, but I regulate the volume and tone. I have got up and turned the volume down mid number before now.

Some jammers just have their ears painted on!

The other part of the OP that stands out to me.... I would never gig with just 1 210! That's not enough, and my rule of thumb is to have more watts in the speakers than I have in the amp.
[/quote]

yes..agree with more cab than amp..and by some way..esp with bass and 10's.
Single 112 and 210 need a lot of respect and I am sorry this guy wasn't up it...so it appears.
And since I knew I could easily break these sort of cabs, then I am not trsting someone esle as you only need 1 idiot to undo all the other decent guys
good work.

Not sure 2x10" chassis would be less than £100...so I'd get a quote of the proper speakers...if you can find them...
and bill him half..and take the the rest on the chin..and put it down to experience..

Sound engr, huh..??? yep..good one..!!

NOTE... lots of chassis are bespoke or out of production ..and this puts you in a real position.
You try getting...if you can find them..any SWR PAS speakers, for example...??
and when you give up doing that... you try and find out what model they are based on.
One or two of the resident speakers guys on here like BFM, Stevie, Lawrence etc might know what is the closest chassis match..and a few others
might be able to WINSD a few decent alternatives...
so you need to be finding that out.

So, do some basic research on new speakers and how obtainable they are and then post here a new thread if you come up blank sourcing them.

just my 2p

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1386087898' post='2295551']
I too will never let anyone use my gear as i had the same thing as the OP when we supported Wilco Johnson at Fibbers in York a few years ago.
I explained to a certain mr Norman Watt Roy that the head put out more power than the cab could take so be careful !
When we packed our gear down after the gig i noticed that both gain & master volume were both up full !
Speaker shagged
cheers Norman
[/quote]
Ha, that's interesting, we supported Wilko years ago in some pub in Kenton and I cheekily asked Mr Watt-Roy if I might use his big Trace Rig, and he politely said no. I didn't expect him to, but it was worth a try!

Speaker shagged
cheers Norman
[/quote]
And I thought he was supposed to be clued up . The more I read about people like this , the more I realise that there's more sensible folk on here , than these so called pro's . Mate had the same thing with a pissed up Rhino . Beggars belief .

I won't let you use my rig on gig night under any circumstances. If you turn up to a gig without a rig, that's your fault, not mine. Your sob story will break my heart. You can always go through the PA ........ just so long as that's not mine either. And I certainly would never let anyone anywhere near one of my basses.

I know it's a bit late now ....... looking at the OP ....... I don't think you can really do anything there. But, best to keep your precious gear to yourself. It's the safest way.

I'm confused about this. You got f***ed over buddy but you did tell him it was ok to use........
I feel for you big time. Would it of blown if you'd used it. Almost certainly not. You gave him fair warning that the amp was powerful. It's not a clear cut case. If he used it without permission it would be a different story. It's a tough call here. Him taking off after the gig was pretty bad also I need to think about this. I'll post again tomorrow.

Update with response[list]
[*]Conversation started today:-
Hey, guys it's roon from rising high water, I hate to do this over Facebook, but I don't have a contact number. It seems one of the speakers has blown in my cab during your set:(

Hello, XXXXXXXX the lead guitarist here. As you have said, bit awkward - what makes you think it went during our set? i only ask as i cant remember anything sounding off and i heard you guys playing and cant say i noticed either etc. Why didnt you say anything when we had finished?. Let me know fella..... not good as you say.

i didn't realise because the bass was going through the pa via D.I for your set, and u had left as we started. i went for my normal setting and it sounded thin and i looked and one of the drivers has frozen:(

Hi Roon, xxxxxxxxx here - bass player. With the greatest of respect mate. I am very, very confident that no drivers blew during my usage of your cab. If the driver was blown it was blown before I started. The sound from the amp did not change throughout our set.
If I thought for a minute I had trashed your gear, I would be A) f***ing mortified and looking to sort it out cost wise. Meanwhile, is the driver actually blown or the cone - or indeed is it a wiring issue ? the B) thing is intended to be a b ) by the way
[*]defo not a wiring issue. Its a frozen cone which would indicate thermal damage to the voicecoil which would only present itself when the cab had cooled down AFTER usage. I really look after my gear and the cab has never been driven by me.

Righto. I should have thought if a coil had been driven that hard (which they weren't I have to say) both drivers in the cab would have exhibited damage (if they are in parrallel which I assume they are being a 4ohm cab) and that it would have been very audible as it shut down - unless its a dodgy driver which has been on its way out for some time, and has decided to cark it at the least opportune time. Please don't think I'm trying to evade any (real or imagined) responsibility here, just mindful of the fact that I heard nothing change during our set either SPL or tone wise, and am sure that I was not driving the cab or putting any nasty peaks through.
[*]As i said, the fault would present when the driver had cooled...

Fault would present in terms of being frozen possibly when it had cooled, but mishapen voice coil / rubbing etc would have been audible long before that I would think. Speaker design by the by anyway - so you think it needs a recone ?
[/list]

Edited by roonjuice

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386065063' post='2295105']
Yes. Sadly I can't see this one ending well. One to put down to experience. Although it would be useful for others to know who the band are so that they can be extra careful if they end up playing with them...
[/quote]

[size=5][b]+1[/b][/size]

once word goes around the local musos .... you know [b]fred smith[/b] from the [b]gearwreckers[/b] .... yeah ... well i let him use my rig and he f*cked it ... dont let him near any of your gear (that sort of warning)

it may not bring you financial recompense but it will hopefully ensure that ignorant twats like him will in future have to carry and use all their own gear and thus not be given the opportunity to f*ck over anybody else's equipment

Before everyone jumps in and says "oh they should pay, the rotters"

Taking them at their word.... they don't sound like they know or think they messed anything up, and what they are saying sounds reasonable and like you would expect someone in there position to respond.

I guess you've checked the wring and had the driver out to diagnose the problem?

Also- if it's a fault that only shows itself after the cab has stopped working.... is it entirely possible that they could play their set with it and it's fine, and then you turn on and it's not? From their point of view it's hard to show that it was them who caused the damage.
Could it have been something like they play their set at good volume, not pushing cab that hard, unplug bass without muting and that horrid jack coming out of cab sound blew it?

A band I was in in the 90's were supporting the New fast automatic daffodils ( some minor success around that time) and I got to the sound check to see their bass player using my stingray as there was a "problem" with his battered ( & frankly shyite Jazz) the tour manager said it was ok "forgetting " to as me!! I was FU**IN' Furious!! he took me to another room to calm me down. what's worse we'd done a few other gigs with them as part of a tour and their bass player (I use the term loosely ) Justin, never said a single word to me (I don't care about name and shame) not a single word. tos*er. it was only Icarus the percussion player who was apologetic and bought me a few "Calm Down" beers at the end of the night. I'm still angry about it to this day (I know..but I am!)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1386144197' post='2296249']
Before everyone jumps in and says "oh they should pay, the rotters"

Taking them at their word.... they don't sound like they know or think they messed anything up, and what they are saying sounds reasonable and like you would expect someone in there position to respond.
[/quote]

is it worse that they intentionally damage it or that they are possible feckless and wreckless and damage it and then try and deny/disclaim responsibility ?

or was it all a complete fortunate accident?

either way i would suggest it could be difficult for the OP to prove even to civil court standards of 'balance of probabilities' given what we can see on the thread thus far :(

one for experience

Edited by steve-bbb

Speaker shagged
cheers Norman
[/quote]

I did a gig supporting Wilco and NWR wouldn't let me use his rig, ah what the hell, I still got his autograph and my pic taken with him and he's still a hero of mine! Just would love to have played through the legends rig!!

Well I guess they're not going to admit it. I would try to appeal to their better nature and suggest as you helped them out a £25 donation for amp hire wouldn't go a miss.

If it's the GK 2x10 you're looking at around £120-£180 for a new driver. Ouch! My second hand cab was only £250.

Edited by TimR