Why become a member? ×

Changing a song's style

xgsjx

All songs becomes ours after a little while anyway... some stay pretty close and others get a life of their own.
We never worry about... if you get people up and moving, you're doing something right.
It is good to have people dancing to tracks they have likely never heard or...and in some cases, never even heard
of the band.
There is education in lots of music.... and we are interested in any song with a decent tune.
We start from there and add our parts...

Sorry folks, the vast majority of examples posted so far for me have been the best arguments you can get for leaving the songs just how they were...
Always liked stranglers vs of walk on by though, classic cover.

Edited by KevB

I've been a couple of bands that did covers in their own style. One was very easy because at the best I only had a passing knowledge of the original song so I simply treated it as just another new composition that the band had come up with when it came to adding my parts.

The easiest was IMO to do someone else's song in your style is to firstly stop listening to the original version. Keep the lyrics and vocal melody and then build up the rest of the arrangement around what you have in the same way you would when working on one of your own compositions. It helps if at least one member of the band isn't familiar with the song, as they won't have any preconceptions as to what to play or not to play.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1384967324' post='2282933']
Sorry folks, the vast majority of examples posted so far for me have been the best arguments you can get for leaving the songs just how they were...
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1384962038' post='2282847']
You can play Superstition with almost any set up & it will sound sh*t.
[/quote]

Finished the sentence for you. :)

Kit did a Crowded House cover in an electro-chamber stylee. Also we did No-one Knows by QOTSA but it's been removed from Soundcloud.

I think you have to have a vision of the cover to do it well. It's actually really hard to change the style of a cover if you adore the song, so maybe do one you aren't that keen on ad make it 'better'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJTcY_Wi1M0

We've already done our version of the Beatles "Come Together" & Gnarles Barklay's "Crazy", but Local Boy is not a song that I would have chosen as it doesn't seem to offer much to start with.
Maybe a house/dub bassline might work? I'll probably have to see what the other's play & work on things from there.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1384968433' post='2282943']
A lot of examples of non rock turned into rock & some I really like, but how about the other way?
Any good examples of rock songs done differently, but done well?
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYJUywl7CFw

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1384968433' post='2282943']
A lot of examples of non rock turned into rock & some I really like, but how about the other way?
Any good examples of rock songs done differently, but done well?
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4WGsMplGxU

Isn't a cover played note-perfectly like the original more of a tribute version than a cover version? Any covers we do are most definitely our own version - there's little chance of us even being [u]able[/u] to play a tribute version :lol: - but hey, there are no real rules, right?

Here's another vote for Easy All Stars, though some will no doubt regard this as musical heresy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJEZWsnIECo