Why become a member? ×

This band is fairly reasonable.

xilddx

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1384632189' post='2279023']
I suspect I was too young to 'get' punk the first time around and am now too old to 'get it' the second time around.

I'm sure they're very good at what it is they're doing, but it's really not for me.

If it's any consolation, I don't get 'funk' either. :)
[/quote]
They weren't what i'd call a punk group.

I was half heartedly dragged to their kentish town gig last week. What little I'd heard of them prior to that hadn't enamoured me but I wouldn't of said I'd hated it either. Really glad I went because they were great live. Very dynamic, tight, powerful stuff. Thought the drummer was fantastic and the bass player very watchable as she kind of loses herself in the performance. Singers style of singing loses me a bit but she's pretty intense. Was great.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384630872' post='2278999']
SERIOUSLY!

A bloke?! A punky bloke in stilettos? Her voice sounds nothing like a bloke either.

She's an immensely attractive woman!

Something is very wrong with either you geezers, or me :)
[/quote]

I'm with you Nige, the singer is definitely up my street, then again my taste in women is somewhat notorious.

As for the music, It's not bad, a little too "style" oriented for me perhaps but not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384620099' post='2278842']
I don't understand why skill is important anyway.
[/quote]

I didn't enjoy the song, but I have to say, the speed and ferocity with which the guitarist played, didn't miss a note or add any unwanted notes - If that's not skill, you show me what is. I recognised it as a John Frusciante kind of playing style - great muting control.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384631332' post='2279006']
One does wonder, doesn't one. Perhaps there are too many videos of chicks with low tops playing funk bass on YT so people think that's all women can do with music. I mean, god help us, an ANGRY feminist woman? In this day and age?
[/quote]

One of my throughts when listening/watching was that it seemed a bit like a female group who thought they had something to prove. I just wonder what? Put any member into another band with mixed gender members, and they would probably do just as well.

I don't have anything against female musicians, I would actually like to see more in these kind of bands. If it is a feminism issue, I can kind of get on board with that, especially since it's pretty obvious that most women don't get very far in the music industry unless they are using their beauty to sell songs, but if it's about something like female genital mutilation, I can't give them much more attention than I would give any other feminist on those matters.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1384632404' post='2279026']

Actually, I thought they were all women.
[/quote]

Except for the one singing who seems to have modelled him/herself on Munch's 'Scream'

I can appreciate the appeal but not my nicecupofteaandasitdown ;) Bit too angsty and was beginning to make my toes curl inside my slippers

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384620099' post='2278842']
I don't understand why skill is important anyway. This band are skilful, very tight, great dynamics, they care about the music. Whaddya want? A punky Snarky Puppy? w***er bar band? Nice that you have produced many w***er bar bands, did they sound good after you applied your magic?
[/quote]

When I say "skillful" I'm not talking about chops. I mean skillful as composers, players, lyricists, etc. And yes, I like to think that a band sounds better once I apply my knowledge to what they do. That's what an artistic collaboration is all about. If you don;t understand why skill is important than that explains a lot.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1384668591' post='2279265']
When I say "skillful" I'm not talking about chops. I mean skillful as composers, players, lyricists, etc. And yes, I like to think that a band sounds better once I apply my knowledge to what they do. That's what an artistic collaboration is all about. If you don;t understand why skill is important than that explains a lot.
[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. My opinion stands.

Musically I liked that a lot and will probably buy the album.

Visually though they are far too boring and anonymous. Certainly the bands I was going to see back in the early 80s had far more about them when it came to presenting themselves on stage and that was just in some tiny room above a pub and not an national TV.

I liked the song, put me in mind of PiL. They have their sound and arrangement very well sorted.

And yes I thought the singer was a fella, but my excuse is that I was watching on the embedded YouTube window, with the quality set to 240 to avoid buffering delays. Honest.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384605641' post='2278595']

Originality is not celebrated. Anything 'original' and different is usually slated too isn't it. There's plenty of 'original' music out there. All music draws from the past as well as the present.
[/quote]

I agree, it's just that this is only drawing from the past and isn't furthering anything. It's nostalgia for the sake of it. If I wanted to listen to Joy Division then I'd put on Joy Division, whereas if I wanted to listen to a band that have taken Joy Division as an influence and melded it with their own music then I'd listen to Radiohead.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1384696688' post='2279545']
It is the sort of racket that I like, but referring to them as 'fairly reasonable' is a bit of a diss!
It's like saying they are 'enjoyably mediocre'. Which they're not. Mediocre, I mean.
[/quote]

I think you missed the original title ;) It was a lot more enthusiastic than that, but it appears that someone may have had objections about it, and the cotton mod-hammer did strike :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1384696986' post='2279548']
I think you missed the original title ;) It was a lot more enthusiastic than that, but it appears that someone may have had objections about it, and the cotton mod-hammer did strike :lol:
[/quote]

Really? We're being censored now? :rolleyes:[size=4] Well as it's Nigel, I'm guessing it was 'This band are f***king amazing' or some such?[/size]