Why become a member? ×

This band is fairly reasonable.

xilddx

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1384696016' post='2279531']
I don't think this original.
[/quote]

I agree, it's highly derivative, but that doesn't make it worthless. I almost never hear music that can be termed 'original', and when it does pop up occasionally no-one wants to hear it anyway because most music consumers are inherently lazy and need to be herded by opinion formers.

Interesting that the band are managed by the guy who manages Sigur Ros. Clearly he can see through the curtains.

Small piece about Savages from the Guardian last year http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/may/25/new-band-savages

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1384696688' post='2279545']
It is the sort of racket that I like, but referring to them as 'fairly reasonable' is a bit of a diss!
It's like saying they are 'enjoyably mediocre'. Which they're not. Mediocre, I mean.
[/quote]

I had titled it "I F****** LOVE This Band!" but a mod edited it to 'blimmin' because implied swearing offends people apparently, even with 90% asterisks. I therefore changed it in a fit of pique to reflect my disappointment.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1384697691' post='2279558']
Is all this Curtainage referring to a woman's lady-parts? Keep going, I might have to whip my cotton wrapped 'Mod Hammer' out.
[/quote]

No mate, I referred to CURTAINS metaphorically, as in drawing them open to reveal the light of possibility that most people miss, with a tiny reference to how people so often make stupid judgements based on gender. I had thought my play on words was too heavily veiled, but Discreet is way sharp :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384698139' post='2279564']
No mate, I referred to CURTAINS metaphorically, as in drawing them open to reveal the light of possibility that most people miss, with a tiny reference to how people so often make stupid judgements based on gender. I had thought my play on words was too heavily veiled, but Discreet is way sharp :)
[/quote]

That's all fine then. I wouldn't like to get into a beef over curtains.

Move along now.. Nothing to see here.

I think there's a lot of mixing of reviewing of the band and reaction to the band. A reaction requires no defense or explanation. It can be like a Benny Hill skit -- everyone knows it's just dopey, but if it makes you laugh, it succeeded in doing what it intended to do. That has more value than attempting Shakespeare and bombing.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1384698897' post='2279584']
I think there's a lot of mixing of reviewing of the band and reaction to the band. A reaction requires no defense or explanation. It can be like a Benny Hill skit -- everyone knows it's just dopey, but if it makes you laugh, it succeeded in doing what it intended to do. That has more value than attempting Shakespeare and bombing.
[/quote]

And?

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1384975250' post='2283049']
Jesus Nige, what've you got me onto here? I've been listening to these since I got back from work today and my recent resolution to not buy any CDs till after Christmas is about to be broken :)
[/quote]

:D

I'm in the same boat mate!

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1384698897' post='2279584']
I think there's a lot of mixing of reviewing of the band and reaction to the band. A reaction requires no defense or explanation. It can be like a Benny Hill skit -- everyone knows it's just dopey, but if it makes you laugh, it succeeded in doing what it intended to do.
[/quote]
Of course. Now it all becomes clear to me...........................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twJohGfOIz0

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1384706184' post='2279704']
What else do you need? I made a very clear point. It actually defended your choice. But I assume you either can't comprehend it, or just want to be difficult. Either/or is fine with me.
[/quote]
It wasn't clear to me. Unless you were simply stating that a song is single-purpose, which it isn't.

Certainly don't know what you mean with the Shakespeare / bombing thing, what's that about mate?

Really enjoying the album.

Strangely, the opening track starts with some spacey film clips stuff, then solo bass that sounds like Geddy Lee, then the band and the singer comes in, and she sounds a bit like early Geddy Lee, it's most odd :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G27S0f2FOI8

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1385233418' post='2285974']
Really enjoying the album.

Strangely, the opening track starts with some spacey film clips stuff, then solo bass that sounds like Geddy Lee, then the band and the singer comes in, and she sounds a bit like early Geddy Lee, it's most odd :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G27S0f2FOI8[/media]
[/quote]

Chuffin 'ell !

It does indeed sound like Geddy Lee and Patty Smith have had a daughter who is very , very angry at them for something or other

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1385234457' post='2285989']
Really weird innit! :D
[/quote]

I used to hear a hint of Geddy Lee in Brian Molko/Placebo. , but this is a bit more blatant . It must be unintentional , though , surely . These young ladies [u][i]cannot[/i][/u] be under the influence of Canada's greatest ever export ... can they?

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1385235059' post='2286000']
Sounds more like Lena Lovich than Patty Smith to me.
[/quote]

Wow, I was thinking about Lena Lovitch as I wrote that, actually! Lena Lovitch was the first pop star I ever met, funnilly enough. She was American , but had been living in Hull (!) . That culture shock explains a lot about her image at the time, I expect

That song "Lucky Numbers" was genius. Someone ought to do a cover version , I'm sure it would be a big hit again nowadays.