Why become a member? ×

This band is fairly reasonable.

xilddx

[quote name='Oneandfive' timestamp='1384625252' post='2278919']
4AD 1980. And why the hell not?
[/quote]
Because it isn't 1980?

But seriously that a good point. I'll happily go and watch a jazz group play music that was being played in say 1955 but i'm not so sure i'd want to see many groups (Cabaret Voltaire may be one exception to that) playing stuff from 1980. That might be because i was around in 1980 and heard it at the time where as i wasn't around to hear the music from 1955 live.

If you are going to emulate a particular era in popular music then the early 1980's is as good a time as any. I love a lot of the music from that time, and there are a lot of parrallels between then and now in what is happening in British society , so maybe the style and attitude of this music and this band reflects that. Bearing that in mind, I can understand how if Lowender was living in the States and doesn't quite get the references that his perception of this band and their music is a bit different to those of us who were in the U.K . The music has to be seen within the context of that culture.

All this brings to mind something I heard Boy George say not too long ago about how if people can get nostalgic for the 1980's then they can get nostalgic for anything , because at the time most people talked about how awful it was. We were mostly skint at the start of it, and many of us were a bit richer by the end of it, but no one ever suspected we would be looking back at it as a [i]belle epoque,[/i] because it really never was one in reality . That decade was epitomised by a rejection of sentimentality and the embracing of everything[i] moderne[/i], and so it seems perverse to romanticise it now., but that is human nature , I suppose.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384605499' post='2278589']
Blimey! All this criticism because a band sounds like other bands from the past. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Siouxsie as well.

There seems to be a big thing about funk on Basschat, and yet almost all the funk bands that people rave about sound like music from the 70s.

There's nothing wrong with some young people taking from the past, they have something to say lyrically about the current, they have what seems to me to be a real fire in their bellies.

Never mind, I like them.
[/quote] I agree I like music from the past decades in fact alot of the stuff I like I did not ever get to see as I was too young at the time and some of the music I like was from decades before I was even born....maybe a lot of todays up and coming bands like other eras and it is great to see them paying a tribute so some good music and bands that half of today's generation had not even heard of before one of today's band covered the original song so it is kind of keeping the music alive I guess? And paying tribute to the artists or bands that motivated them.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1384629225' post='2278974']
The whole fake attitude thing has never done it for me but not a bad sound apart from the vocalist.
[/quote]

Interesting Wayne. It's the vocalist I find so special. The band support her wonderfully IMO.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1384630636' post='2278994']
You 2 should be worried :D
[/quote]

SERIOUSLY!

A bloke?! A punky bloke in stilettos? Her voice sounds nothing like a bloke either.

She's an immensely attractive woman!

Something is very wrong with either you geezers, or me :)

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1384631127' post='2279002']
Maybe because she doesn't have a mini-skirt and a big rack that some may get confused.
[/quote]

One does wonder, doesn't one. Perhaps there are too many videos of chicks with low tops playing funk bass on YT so people think that's all women can do with music. I mean, god help us, an ANGRY feminist woman? In this day and age?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384631332' post='2279006']
One does wonder, doesn't one. Perhaps there are too many videos of chicks with low tops playing funk bass on YT so people think that's all women can do with music. I mean, god help us, an ANGRY feminist woman? In this day and age?
[/quote]
:lol:

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384631332' post='2279006']
[/quote]

I think that's unfair, it was an honest mistake made by 3 out of the 6 people in question doesn't mean I'm anti-feminist it just means she is very masculine, nothing wrong with that same thing as Brian Molko he looks like a woman (some confusing times as a child) not a criticism just a fact.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1384631851' post='2279019']
I think that's unfair, it was an honest mistake made by 3 out of the 6 people in question doesn't mean I'm anti-feminist it just means she is very masculine, nothing wrong with that same thing as Brian Molko he looks like a woman (some confusing times as a child) not a criticism just a fact.
[/quote]

Oh crikey mate, I was being lighthearted while making a general point, nothing about you at all.

I don't find her masculine in the slightest, I think she's gorgeous. But that's not why I like the band so much, I just love their power and presence. The songs are really immersive too.