Why become a member? ×

Upon your death... who gets your bass(es)?

EBS_freak

I have 3 grandsons so i am hoping one at least will take up the bass,which would make me very happy,but failing that i keep an up to date list of my gear with a selling price guide,and the money to be split between them.....happy ending

I went to a bass playing mate's funeral only a few weeks back. It touched me to see his bass in front of the coffin. Frightened me that I could 'see' my own.

Anyway - it'll all be for sale when I'm gone - my wife knows how to do it and who to ask for help.

If she shuffles off this mortal coil first I'll leave it to a charity - probably DogsTrust.

No 2 son gets bass gear (just learning now)
No 1 son gets Rick 12-string & ’66 Vox 6-string
The 2 flamenco guitars, 4 mandolins, 3 violins, 2 lutes & 1 banjo, I guess will have to form part of my funeral pyre in the Viking long-ship I will have constructed for the purpose
The wife will be chuffed to have some room at last though.

I'll have my basses handed over to my brother who will be able to make the best judgements on what they're worth to sell. The money will go to my wife and kids and one bass will be kept for my son/daughter (will probably be my Spector if nothing replaces that as #1).

[quote name='Shaggy' post='226677' date='Jun 25 2008, 01:32 PM']The 2 flamenco guitars, 4 mandolins, 3 violins, 2 lutes & 1 banjo, I guess will have to form part of my funeral pyre in the Viking long-ship I will have constructed for the purpose
The wife will be chuffed to have some room at last though.[/quote]

The wife not going with you then??

My (musical) partner died about 20 years ago and left me his Ibanez 335 style guitar and combo, Pa systems etc .. I can't really play guitar but I do get it out and have a strum in his memory now and then and the PA was my band's monitor system for many years.

The 335 and my number one bass and my baritone sax will go to my wife and boy in the hope that he'll learn to play one or the other, and that she may learn sax to add to her flute playing.

My brothers get a bass and sax each in the hope that they will learn to play properly sometime - both dabble.

Actually that leaves some quite nice instruments that I'll have to think about .....

Nothings getting toasted with me. Way too many hours of blood sweat and tears in them to waste in a funeral pyre..

[quote name='Exile252' post='226653' date='Jun 25 2008, 01:10 PM']I plan to be cremated so I'd have my fave bass along for the ride, oh, and I intend to have my ashes sent to space, which you can actually do.[/quote]

I'd be careful with that approach. Usually only part of your ashes are actually sent up (unless your mega rich). So you never know... your bass might get more of a space burial than you! :)

[quote name='ped' post='226151' date='Jun 24 2008, 07:42 PM']I want mine auctioned off, the money being split between Basschat and the Dogs Trust.[/quote]

After the aggravation I had from the Dogs Trust following the death of my mother, who was a supporter, I wouldn't cross the street to piss on the Dogs Trust if they caught fire. They wouldn't let go even after I sent them a copy of the death certificate. They might care for dogs, but they sure as hell don't give a sh*t about people. Details provided on request.

Which leaves only one worthy cause :-)

As far as basses go, they're only basses. I trust whoever survives me to be sensible about it.

I worry most about the concertinas. No-one in the family will ever play them, hardly anyone is making comparable instruments, they are completely irreplaceable and need to be played and appreciated. I've always felt as though I am holding them in trust to pass on to the next generation. My current plan is to try and identify committed young players to hand them over to when the time comes. The trouble is that the time always comes sooner than you expect!

[quote name='pete.young' post='227679' date='Jun 26 2008, 11:01 PM']After the aggravation I had from the Dogs Trust following the death of my mother, who was a supporter, I wouldn't cross the street to piss on the Dogs Trust if they caught fire. They wouldn't let go even after I sent them a copy of the death certificate. They might care for dogs, but they sure as hell don't give a sh*t about people. Details provided on request.[/quote]

No details required mate. I can well believe it. Office wallahs cocking up. Same when my Mum died. I had a nightmare with the Stroke assoc. and all because I tried to GIVE them some money.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='226132' date='Jun 24 2008, 07:27 PM']Believe it or not, I've planned for a number of them to be auctioned off and the proceeds to go towards Basschat. Others may be distributed according to those I know who might appreciate them the most.[/quote]

You're just trying get in with the mods.