Why become a member? ×

Upon your death... who gets your bass(es)?

EBS_freak

Apart from my Jazz bass which goes to an old mate in the UK (I get his 78 Ray if he goes first) It will all go to the wife or our kids if I'm the last to go. Our son would keep them all displayed on a wall for sentimental reasons and our daughter would probably swap them all for a Prada handbag.

Without doubt my brother.

He is a guitarist but there is nobody else I totally trust my gear with. I doubt he would sell them. He has a Gibson EB3 on long term lone already. He, or his son would make good use of my stuff. I would ideally like them to be used rather than use as ornaments. I would like them to never be used for folk music but I suppose that is out of my control!

Buried with me? Not sure about that. But I personally feel that Frankenstein bass should have been buried with John Entwistle, nobody should have touched that after he went.

Amps? don't really matter as much, they could be sold.

Since I don't have kids (yet) I'd want most of my gear to go to my brother - he's one of those gits who can pick up anything and play it! I've actually talked with the wife about this, but the collection has expanded a bit since then so maybe have another wee chat about it. Must get a will done too, now we're legally wed and all...

[quote name='Exile252' post='226653' date='Jun 25 2008, 12:10 PM']I plan to be cremated so I'd have my fave bass along for the ride, oh, and I intend to have my ashes sent to space, which you can actually do.[/quote]

You do know that there's some parts of the human body that survive cremation - Teeth, and other hard, dense bone structures.
Same for basses, I guess. Somewhere there's a crematorium selling a job lot of slightly "dusty" bridges, truss rods, polepieces and tuners...

From a personal perspective, if none of my family were playing/learning, I'd pass them on to people who would take care of and have a use for a nice bass or two.

Sadly we lost someone last year who was only 12 and learning bass, my son has his old mini bass, pictured <, and as he was daily using an old one of mine, his family now keep it on a stand in the house, as there is nothing that defines him more in his last days than the bass he picked up every day after school

On a lighter note

My Ric may pay for a cheap funeral, so i may leave instructions for my wife to post it on here in the event!

My P bass Id like used by friends and family as none of you lot would pay enough for it

[quote name='ste_m3' post='226375' date='Jun 24 2008, 11:42 PM']Depends how many i have when i pop my clogs! If i have two the nice one would go to my little brother and [u]the other id probably auction on here[/u].[/quote]

An auction from beyond the grave..... :)

As for me, well Mrs Arse, has said that she would keep one to remind her of me, (I have visions of her giving it a kick now and then for old times sake).

The rest would be shared out between the two sprogs - the lad already plays bass in a band and the wee lass wants to learn guitar.....they are already arguing about who is going to get my first bass - nothing special but 35/36 years old......what I haven't told them is I'm going to be cremated and have my ashes sealed up in the cavity behind the pickguard before whichever one gets it......I haunt the bugger after I'm gone

I thought about this a lot when I was ill last year. My wife would have the say but my original P-bass would go to my old school friend and I'd divide them up amongst certain players who I believe wouldn't sell on.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='226204' date='Jun 24 2008, 07:40 PM']Has anyone actually been buried with their bass?[/quote]

A friend of mine had a mate who died in a road accident back in the 90s. I gave him my old Vox bass that was buried with the coffin in North Watford Cemetary back in the mid-late 90s. The guy was a player so I thought it was a fitting tribute. Never got a penny for it though and I didn't know the guy. I would have thought my friend would have bought us a pint at least - that Vox must've been worth something

Interesting thread! Something I specifically put in my will last time it was updated is what happens to all my music kit once I shuffle off this mortal coil. Basically it all goes to the missus (assuming she is still here by then), who can then hand on to my two boys anything they would like to have - and are actually going to use! All the rest goes back to the music department of my old high school who had a lot of time, guidance and support for me when I was first starting out.

Did anyone see the Google ad that was at the bottom of this page???:-

[url="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=l&ai=BhQ64TJFhS_LvJcXo-AaNoMSqBqHatnKT0rjjCsCNtwHgxQgQARgDIKP0-go4AFCt3OKk-_____8BYLv-yYPcCqABsbvV-gOyAQ5iYXNzY2hhdC5jby51a7oBCTcyOHg5MF9hc8gBAdoBPmh0dHA6Ly9iYXNzY2hhdC5jby51ay9pbmRleC5waHA_c2hvd3RvcGljPTIyMjEwJnN0PTYwJnN0YXJ0PTYw4AECgAIBqQKN4r5MkjK7PqgDAcgDB-gD2AHoA5UG6AOxA_UDAAEAhPUDEAAAAQ&num=3&sig=AGiWqtxWBDlZ1IU5EzKoDH-IKZYYEn-EIg&client=ca-pub-8425539706044945&adurl=http://www.ashesintoglass.co.uk&nm=11"]Ashes[/url]

One of my mates gets one Lowden acoustic and the Mrs keeps the other along with the 75th Anniv Ric 660. All other guitars/basses to be sold and money goes to my laddie. Simples.