Why become a member? ×

Gear In cold conditions

Damonjames

Hey all,

So I recently converted my garage into a practice room. The garage is attached to the house and single brick construction. My part is lined with plasterboard (stuck on walls, and two layers screwed to rafters) and has been great the last couple of months but it is starting to get cold! So cold I had to buy a small fan heater, which does the job nicely. I didn't think too much of the cold until I brought my bass into the house to show a friend something and within a couple of minutes it had a thin film of condensation on the body. Should I be concerned about my gear getting too cold, I also keep my amps, stereo and recording desk in there so don't want to ruin it all!

It's not the cold that is the problem [i]per se[/i], but humidity. As you have found, when you bring cold gear into a warm environment, condensation forms. [size=4]This can cause electrical connection problems and mechanical problems such as rust and corrosion and is really not very good for wooden instruments either. Plus the inevitable tuning issues...[/size]

If you can get some sort of low-level background heat in the room such as a storage heater, then at least you'll have some sort of residual warmth in the room which will reduce (if not entirely solve) the problem. But running a fan heater constantly will cost you a small fortune.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1384118509' post='2273030']
This might be good for your problem, think they are cheap to run :)

[url="http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4153733.htm#pdpFullProductInformation"]http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4153733.htm#pdpFullProductInformation[/url]

John
[/quote]

Not so much. One of those on constantly, 24/7, for... say 4 months of winter, is gonna cost you over £500. That's using an approximate price per kWh of 15p... depends on your tariff/supplier of course.

Just looked at the link,no! Halogens are only really for human/living occupants designed to heat people/animals rather than air, they were first used for drying horses where you cant heat an open stable.

It needs to be something like a storage heater as discreet says or maybe an oil filled radiator left on low then turned up when anyones uses the room.

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1384171078' post='2273427']
Try something like this but I don't accept any responsibility if you burn your house down! :rolleyes:

[url="http://www.permaculture.co.uk/videos/heat-your-room-8-pence-day"]http://www.permaculture.co.uk/videos/heat-your-room-8-pence-day[/url]
[/quote]

On my ipad your link opens a page full of warning messages :(

Definitely insulate as much as you can...
As others have said, especially the roof space
I recently converted my garage too

I laid laminate flooring, on top of Foam insulation board
and it feels much warmer underfoot....

I'd think twice about using parafin type heater
There's always a risk of fire,
but just as importantly there are also fumes to consider
I think you'd need vents installed.....
Could be wrong there - but check first

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1384211094' post='2274170']
...it means a trip to the dreaded Ikea.
[/quote]

Tea lights are widely available. :)
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Candle-Ikea-Glimma-Tea-Light-Candle-Pack-Of-100-38mm-Wide-/221268705464?pt=UK_Candle_Holders&hash=item3384a480b8"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Candle-Ikea-Glimma-Tea-Light-Candle-Pack-Of-100-38mm-Wide-/221268705464?pt=UK_Candle_Holders&hash=item3384a480b8[/url]

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1384115276' post='2272963']The garage is ....................... single brick construction. My part is lined with plasterboard (stuck on walls, and two layers screwed to rafters[/quote]

If you really mean single brick then you've got a long way to go. That's far too thin a barrier; plasterboard "stuck" to it won't make much difference. You'd need - at least - to build an internal wall. If you mean concrete breeze-block walls then they're great for cavity wall insulation.
Loft insulation up above. (Done it recently, most DIY places will have deals on just now).

Rather than high wattage heaters, liquid fuel etc, you used to be able to get electric powered, low wattage oil filled tubular heaters - for frost prevention in greenhouses. For whatever reason they're not as easy to find as they were, but I have a couple of 60watt heated electric towel rails which work the same way. They don't cost much to run & have a large area putting out warmth.

The condensation is caused by extreme temperature changes. Caused by either/both your equipment and your body's presence creating heat & then dropping down to nothing when you eventually leave the room to cool down. You need to make the inside as constant a temperature as possible, using a heat source that costs will cost you, to keep it going more or less permanently because you're losing too much heat thru the thin walls - and as has already been said, through the floor.

You're adapting a building that wasn't designed for the purpose you're putting it too, it's not easy - and not quick.