Why become a member? ×

The Orwells on Jools Later

Mudpup

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1383694086' post='2267941']
The whole programme is well past it's sell by date and the Beeb should pull the plug on it a.s.a.p.
[/quote]
As Discreet mentioned, you chop this you're left with nothing.
Zip
Nada
Nowt.
The acts often frustrate me too but at least they are eclectic and provide us with something to talk about other than the last episode of breaking bad.
Don't expect the BBC to have a clue about music.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1383722087' post='2268050']
The singer did seem slightly contrived, but who knows maybe not

Occasionally who get a young band on there who seem themselves, last one I remember was Yuck, who I quite enjoy.
[/quote]

I really like Yuck, but don't see them anything like these though.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1383747071' post='2268471']
Just a have look back at what you've posted...

You all sound like my dad complaining about the music I listened to back in the 70s. What a bunchy of grumpy old farts!

No wonder rock/pop music is in such bad shape...
[/quote]
I'm think that i'm a grumpy old fart because of all the bunch of old farts that are on Later With....

You all sound like my dad complaining about the music I listened to back in the 70s. What a bunchy of grumpy old farts!

[/quote]

That's the uncomfortable truth, though . For the most part , your dad was right . Most dads usually are right.

[/quote]

Just had a look back -

My dad was slating The Sweet, Slade, T Rex, Deep Purple, Zep, when I was growing up. Like them or not, they ended up being reasonably respected and relevant for quite a few people.

Somehow, I think The Orwells wont be.

:D

Edited by Mudpup

[/quote]

I do agree with you, mate. However, having just read a review of them in the Guardian, and watched the Jools performance, I have to say I thought they were very poor. There's little quality, and nothing at all new or interesting. The lyrics are dull and they seem to have landed their major label deal on the strength of their stage antics rather than their music, a cynical short term investment it seems to me. They are one OF a million rather than IN. Can't see any longevity here, they seem meaningless and pointless. f*** knows how they got on Jools. Sheer mediocrity for me.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1383763370' post='2268812']
Just forced myself to watch it there, Jesus wept, what pure and utter, repetitive garbage.
And that frontman looks like he'd score even higher than Johnny Borrell on the complete and utter w***er scale.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with repetitive, most of the music we listen to is repetitive.

Having just watched the whole programme I fail to see what all the fuss is about.

OK so they weren't particularly good, but no more or less so then any of the other bands on the show and at least they weren't a bunch of has-beens trading on their past glories like The Killers or Boy George.

I look back at some of the Old Grey Whistle Tests that are on youtube and think the beeb did a very good old job back in the 70's 80's, but that could be thru rose tinted glasses. There are some great vids of some great groups etc, I'm sure many were duff 'erns though, only it doesn't ever seem like it.

There were some good progs in the 80's with very memorable groups/artists back then on the box, The Tube (everyone whom was anyone!), Paul King's 60 Minutes (Die Krupps etc), that Beeb Rough Guide To The World (Duncan Dhu, Front 242 etc) and the prog' after that which I can't remember were Ok too in that there was a fair bit of music on those too, I can still remember the Welsh one with Traddiodiad Ofnus B)....I think I'd still give the BBC's 'canned' mock tube effort Oxford Road Show a miss though ;) although to be fair The Smiths played live....Duran and Spandau didn't.

Tis a shame 'cos I do think that 'Later' did start off excellently, I mean Jools even had the all holy Matt Johnson on 'be jesus, but of 'late' 'Later' seems to be a parody of the Fast Show's Jazz Club...only without the laughs, be nice to see someone smile for a change.

I'd hate to see it go though, as its a got it's place for the roll neck jumpers & strange hats 'n facial hair brigade, but I would dearly like to see something accompany it.

My abstract measure of relative quality between series is the number of CDs from new bands I buy. Not seen this week's effort yet but to date the last series is about two or three up with a couple more shows in this series to go I think.

There's worse things on telly...

The only thing last nights show lacked was Huey Morgan strutting around throwing mugs at people! The Orwells were embarrassing but I thought The Killers new song was worse the rest of the acts were very uninspiring....I would agree with other comments on the thread this series has been disappointing.

I think the problem is that "young" people by & large don't watch music programmes on TV anymore
The core audience for "Later..." is largely made up of middle-aged musos so if any new young band does play on there the chances are they're going to get shot down by a load of "What a load of rubbish, seen it all before, they're doing nothing new" type comments.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1383769504' post='2268959']
Jokes aside , I do always scan through all the acts, every now and then something grabs me.
[/quote]

Me too (well not 'always').

I think xilddx got it right saying these new bands are one OF a million. Technology has made it easier than ever for anyone to be in a band (heck, I'm in two but you won't see us on Later anytime [s]soon[/s] ever :lol: ) and it must be a nightmare for the Beeb, or anyone else, to trawl through all the acts out there. We've all seen some great bands on our local circuits and down the local pub so talent is clearly not the main route to commercial success.

Fact is, all the new bands on Later must be doing something right - if you consider 'right' as meaning getting their music out to the widest possible audience that is.

Has anyone here been invited to appear?

Let's give them their break - if you don't like them just press the FF button, but someone out there will be a fan - if only their mums. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383786609' post='2269237']
To be fair there was an awful lot of shyte around in the 70s as well...
[/quote]

And a hell of a lot of OGWT "performances" were mimed; I was amazed when watching some old reruns just how many of them were.