Why become a member? ×

Does This Happen To You?

Pete Academy

Yes that happens all the time. I have a gig in 2 weeks where every man and his dog is coming and we have an amazing support band. I am pretending to think it will be sh*t so I don't curse it!

Mind you I don't think its only gigs, I think its nights out in general. If we organise a night out with friends its usually rubbish but if you bump into a mate in the street and decide to go for a quick pint it can turn out to be a corker

I have played whilst sick with flu and had a blinder , and done shows where everything was perfect before hand and I am totally relaxed and then had a nightmare . There is no rhyme or reason for good nights and bad nights. I'm an unusually inconsistant player , though . On my good nights I'm great( well , pretty good anyway) and on my bad nights I'm t[u]errible[/u].

Does this forum have a 'name and shame' venue/promoter list? May be helpful cos I have done some gigs for right (insert expletive/s of your choice here) and wouldn't want others to fall into the same trap.

Edited by stjohn

Name and shame :

Camden Underworld - electrics so dodgy it blew up my amp, and an obnoxious sound man who refused to do sound checks (at a gig night we were promoting and had hired the venue for).

Camden Purple Turtle - sound guy got so pissed the previous night he didn't notice someone had nicked the DI boxes, resulting in not enough for our gig.

Name and fame :

Nambucca in Holloway Road, the landlord (ex professional tour manager) is a lovely guy and his wife made the bands tea with an accompanying tray of biccies.

Frank of Flag Promotions, lovely guy who tries to please everyone but often gets mucked about by bands with ideas above their station.

Nambucca is a cracking venue these days.

If memory serves it burnt down a few years ago and got revamped and its a great place to play. Great sound, lovely gear and a good size.

And yes, I get the OP big time! What I don't get is how you have a great rehearsal and then a terrible gig or a terrible rehearsal and then a stinking show.

Truckstop

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1380792542' post='2230518']
Absolutely, but I have also found the gig to be the inverse of the previous rehearsal. Great rehearsal, so-so gig, poor rehearsal great gig. Maybe back to expectations again!
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1380740019' post='2229907']
You expect a gig to be great and it turns out sh*t.

You expect a gig to be sh*t and it turns out great.

What's that about?
[/quote]

This is exactly my experience for gigs, DJing, exhibitions and going to parties.

It chimes in with my general outlook on life: I call it "The optimistic approach to pessimism."

Which is to say, if you always expect something to be a bit crap, it's no surprise when it turns out, in fact, to actually be crap. But then! When something turns out to be really good, it's twice as satisfying, because you never expected it to be any good!

Always happens. Two weeks ago really wasn't looking forward to a gig, ended up being a cracker and I took a 22yr old girl home, haha!
The week before the gig was highly anticipated and turned into a bit of a damp squib. Such is the way of the world :)

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I had a bit of a shock one night. [color=#000000]I was playing during a performance of Elgar's Sea Pictures at a concert hall in Bermuda when the man playing the triangle suddenly disappeared. He was the third one that week.[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1380846367' post='2231581']...[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]He was the third one that week.[/color][/font][/size][/quote]

Baboum... Tish..! :lol:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1380792542' post='2230518'] Absolutely, but I have also found the gig to be the inverse of the previous rehearsal. Great rehearsal, so-so gig, poor rehearsal great gig. Maybe back to expectations again! [/quote]

+1 No idea why.

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1380846367' post='2231581']
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I had a bit of a shock one night. [color=#000000]I was playing during a performance of Elgar's Sea Pictures at a concert hall in Bermuda when the man playing the triangle suddenly disappeared. He was the third one that week.[/color][/font][/size]
[/quote]

Clang! Ah I get it.the penny has dropped! :rolleyes: