Why become a member? ×

MESA Boogie Bass Prodigy Four:88

brensabre79

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1384446788' post='2276843']
It seems to me there is room in the UK market for another high end amplifier manufacturer.
[/quote]

Better get building then! Ha. Can't wait to see your beast built, Mikey. :D

Played one yesterday afternoon here in Auckland. I liked it but it wasn't that great if I'm totally honest. Played it through a Fender Neo 610 and cranked it. Disn't find it broke up very well. Lots of clean headroom. Reminded me a bit of the Buster. I much preferred the Super Bassman and Ampeg V4B reissue. The Ampeg costs the same as the Mesa-about $2,900 (1500 pounds) and i loved the sounds I got from it. Still, wouldn't mind another go with the Prodigy with one of my own basses-just to be sure like!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1380284675' post='2223250']
How long would it be before we were having threads on Basschat discussing whether the Mesa amps made in Denmark were as good or sounded the same as the ones made in California? We all know which ones would end up being most desirable.
[/quote]

Neither.

I have had prospective eye on the Prodigy for a while now, but at this price you can add me to the long list of people no longer interested . For £1900 you can do better. in terms of value for money, anyway.

However, I am not that surprised that they have eneded up being this expensive in the U.K . As Gareth ( MM20) rightly points out, Mesa gear has always been that bit more expensive than most of the competition in the U.K , and they rely on their exclusivity and kudos to garner sales rather than value for money or mass-market appeal. I remember playing in bands in the 1980's when the guitarist had to weigh up whether to buy the little entry-level Mesa Boogie 22 watt combo or the big Marshall rig he could get for about the same money. As WoT also rightly comments , ultimately they can charge whatever they like , and we as consumers have to decide if we are playing along with them . In this case, it looks like we are not, on the whole .

These are sumptuous looking and sounding amps , but if I am paying this kind of money for an amp then I want to use it as a workhorse and there are better , more practical amps that meet that description for much less money . These are lovely amps for what they are , but at the same time, they are nothing [i]that [/i]special and not worth paying such a premium for , in my opinion . At the risk of repeating myself though, if people insist on beating themselves up with the U.S.A retail price then they need to do a much more complex equation than just converting the numbers at the current exchange rate, because tempting as that is , it gives a wholly innacurate impression of how cheap or expensive these amps are in the wider social context of each respective economy .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1385298038' post='2286497']
...At the risk of repeating myself though, if people insist on beating themselves up with the U.S.A retail price then they need to do a much more complex equation than just converting the numbers at the current exchange rate, because tempting as that is , it gives a wholly innacurate impression of how cheap or expensive these amps are in the wider social context of each respective economy .
[/quote]

Im not sure the cost of living in the US is applicable to us over here. The real cost of flying over to the US, buying one, and flying back would be when either it breaks and you cant get it fixed on warranty, or when you want to move it on and you need to tell the buyer that its the version with the 115V poser supply.

• 11 months later...

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1384443555' post='2276776']
Gulp!!!! £2002.13 +shipping

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/mesa_boogie_bass_prodigy.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ass_prodigy.htm[/url]
[/quote]

But you know it was worth it Dave.

• 1 month later...

The pricing is a bit of a shame. The two Mesa Boogies I've owned (Bass 400+/Strategy 400) have been fantastic bits of kit and the only reason I sold was due to the weight...which is why these latest amps were of such interest.

It's also a shame that Mesa Boogie can't arrange for parts to be shipped direct from supplier to an existing European builder and have them assembled under contract...its not like 'made in USA' carries the same significance here anyway.

It can compete with other valve amps in its price range easily imho and shouldn't be expected in the price range of vietnamese ampegs and chinese ashdowns.

In my case the choice was between Ampeg Heritage SVT, Fender Super Bassman and Mesa Bass Prodigy. The Fender being somewhat cheaper. Of these the Prodigy has the best options on board with its active bass and treb dials and passive mids plus the 5way voicing switch. It can also be run at half power which is handy at smaller gigs.

I don't think I will regret purchasing this.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1418386438' post='2629762']

It's also a shame that Mesa Boogie can't arrange for parts to be shipped direct from supplier to an existing European builder and have them assembled under contract...its not like 'made in USA' carries the same significance here anyway.
[/quote]

It does at the 'sharp end' of retail - anything 'made in USA' is easier to sell in the shop than anywhere else in the world, and by quite a significant margin too. This holds true for amps & cabs just as much as guitars.

Some European countries have a good rep but they fall a long way behind good ol' USA in desirability amongst 'everyday' customers.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1418398964' post='2629929']
Ah well, made in Germany/Sweden/UK carries more weight with me so I stand corrected.
[/quote]

It never ceases to amaze me the lure of a 'Made in USA' tag to a lot of players.

Germany & Sweden rate fairly highly but UK can be very patchy in terms of demand. Czech Rep does OK & there's an appreciation of Poland as well amongst some people. But we never get anyone in specifically asking for any country other than USA - even Canada falls a long way behind USA in terms of desirability.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1418391514' post='2629835']
It can compete with other valve amps in its price range easily imho and shouldn't be expected in the price range of vietnamese ampegs and chinese ashdowns.

In my case the choice was between Ampeg Heritage SVT, Fender Super Bassman and Mesa Bass Prodigy. The Fender being somewhat cheaper. Of these the Prodigy has the best options on board with its active bass and treb dials and passive mids plus the 5way voicing switch. It can also be run at half power which is handy at smaller gigs.

I don't think I will regret purchasing this.
[/quote]

I hope that this purchase works for you - have you tried one?

Try one where? Welcome to the Netherlands where every shop has the same sh*tty stack of class D bass amps.
Nope, I studied all the manuals, specs, forums, watched all the youtube vids there can be seen on ANY current full valve amp. Prodigy is the one.
I never regret any purchase as I am smart enough to make good decisions time after time.

Meanwhile, I sensed some funk in its logo that needed further intensifying so that's what I did. How's this for a seventies funk feel?

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1418583868' post='2631444']
Try one where? Welcome to the Netherlands where every shop has the same sh*tty stack of class D bass amps.
Nope, I studied all the manuals, specs, forums, watched all the youtube vids there can be seen on ANY current full valve amp. Prodigy is the one.
I never regret any purchase as I am smart enough to make good decisions time after time.
[/quote]

I wish you well.