Why become a member? ×

MESA Boogie Bass Prodigy Four:88

brensabre79

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1382544520' post='2253487']
Oops. Wrong small company.
[/quote]
HAHAH!

To be fair, Mesa have always been super expensive...but they are a pretty major player in terms of guitar tube amps now. It's great that they still build their amps and haven't outsourced, but their UK pricing needs to be sorted out....they would sell more if they were a little cheaper!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383744177' post='2268410']
They should just sell direct to the shops and cut out one more level of profit.
[/quote]

In many cases the reduction in profit means a massive reduction in service levels and serious availability (and delivery issues). Many retailers will pull out of a brand completely because they now have to order large stocks in order to save costs on bulk shipping. This then whacks up their cost of retained stock and few people can afford that in this climate. They alternative is to order in small numbers and this throws shipping prices through the roof.

Plus the manufacturer now has to deal with loads of individual shop calls and requirements plus warranty conversations. This increases the manufacturer overhead substantially and, hey presto, the price gets put back onto the products to cover the extra costs.

Net result can often be significantly worse service and lack of product and prices end up near to where they were originally :(

Well they can't win really.
At this price lots of people will just walk away, myself included.
At £1,200 they could well sell a lot more, so reduce the price by ordering more.

I guess they have to work out the balance of supply and demand.

Might just have to get a return flight with a prodigy shaped box as hand luggage :)

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1383692835' post='2267915']
They might sound the business but not £1899 worth of business.
[/quote]
It depends on whether you have £1.9k spare to spend on a bass amp?? There are plenty of boutique valve guitar amps that go for that type of money!

I'm not sure who they think they will sell this amp to? If I was going to spend that much on an amp, I would want it to be 400w (with a step down to 200w). I would hate to buy such a great (but expensive) amp, only to find that it wasn't loud enough...!

Edited by peteb

Yep, I also got a confirmation that RRP is going to be £1,900 so I'd expect a potential 'street' price to be somewhere around the £1,800 mark.

May be able to set up an in-store demo day when they finally ship.

It doesn't look like there's a power switching option (although this may be adjustable inside the head) so it's going to need a step-down transformer if anyone fancies bringing in a US import. I have one of these for my B15 and they aren't huge money and seem to work fine but it's a bit of a pain to lug around on a small head :(

I have a feeling any grey imports won't be covered by a UK warranty and playing with power circuits may well invalidate the warranty anyway.

I can't really understand the price differential on these from US to UK. Maybe it's just an early blip and they'll drop at some point if demand is really poor.

Not sure how much the more powerful Strategy is going to be but I'd estimate something like £2,300.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1383868420' post='2270353']
It doesn't look like there's a power switching option (although this may be adjustable inside the head) so it's going to need a step-down transformer if anyone fancies bringing in a US import. I

I can't really understand the price differential on these from US to UK.
[/quote]

It's classic MESA. I know you made a very valiant attempted to explaining their pricing policy before, Barrie - but this is just typical of them. They just want to sell in North America, and stuff the rest of us.

It's their ball, of course - they can play with it wherever they like.

Frustrating, though.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1383909757' post='2270635']
It's classic MESA. I know you made a very valiant attempted to explaining their pricing policy before, Barrie - but this is just typical of them. They just want to sell in North America, and stuff the rest of us.

It's their ball, of course - they can play with it wherever they like.

Frustrating, though.
[/quote]

I agree. It's highly frustrating. I don't actually see many shops that deal with Mesa now, especially bass amps/cabs.

I wouldn't be bothered about getting a converter for the voltage and getting a USA model, as thats almost as much annoyance as spending £1800+ on a UK model.

At £1300-1600 for a tube amp, I would go straight to Matamp or Orange.