Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street - you've changed!

ras52

I made a trip down Denmark Street t'other day for the first time in a few months and noticed a few changes on the north side of the street - I see Wunjo's has taken over the Pro Audio shop and a new "Bass Centre" has replaced the old "Bass Cellar". And what used to be Andy's is now Hank's. Is the old Music Ground empire crumbling?

That all happened some time ago, around the time when the owners of Music Ground ... erm ... encountered some legal problems.

The Bass Centre is actually the Wunjo's Bass Centre, while the old Pro Audio shop has moved downstairs to the basement to let Wunjo's open a new Keyboard Centre at street level.

A number of aggrieved creditors finally caught up with Andy. He was always a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Ah, Andy's... I wince at the mention of their name. Prior to my mega bass-sabbatical, I sold a pair of basses through them and had to go to court to get them to cough up the cash when they were sold. Using them was a mistake, but not as big a mistake (and pretty much my biggest regret in life) as selling the basses in the first place: a pair of Wals (fretted and fretless). :facepalm:

I absolutely love Wunjo's new dominance over Denmark Street. I'm not surprised they're spreading out so much as they have excellent, friendly service in all of their stores!

I've become quite well acquainted with Tom, the main guy in the Bass Centre, since buying my US Deluxe last September. He was brilliant with helping me find and get what I was after!

I'm pretty sure he also recognises every face that comes back in to the store and he's always willing to recommend I try out some basses he thinks I might fancy. Absolutely top guy.

The same can be said for the rest of the staff there too! They're all willing to have a chat and actually INTERACT with customers, unlike some of the sarcastic, smarmy people that worked there before the Wunjo's days...

I hope one day they buy out the whole street so we can just get it over with and rename it Wunjo's Street. They're singlehandedly bringing back the reputation that Denmark Street deserves: Amazing, tolerant and friendly service.

(DISCLAIMER: I haven't been hired by Wunjo's to post this review! I'm just a genuine admirer of the great job they're doing :) )

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1378830577' post='2205274']
Ah, Andy's... I wince at the mention of their name. Prior to my mega bass-sabbatical, I sold a pair of basses through them and had to go to court to get them to cough up the cash when they were sold. Using them was a mistake, but not as big a mistake (and pretty much my biggest regret in life) as selling the basses in the first place: a pair of Wals (fretted and fretless). :facepalm:
[/quote]

I didn't have to take them to court to get my money, but I deeply regret selling my oddball Epiphone Genesis guitar to Andy's when I was mighty strapped for cash after I left university circa 1991.

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1378832753' post='2205316']
There was a guitar shop on Denmark Street on that bailiff "Sherriffs are Coming" thingy not so long ago
[/quote]

I was upstairs at Andy's at my amp tech (Mikhail, gone back to Russia now) years ago when the staff came dashing up asking everyone to leave ... by the back stairs, which led directly on to the street and NOT through the main shop. They were really keen that we should be quiet about it.

Later discovered they had the bailliffs in the shop at the time and they were feeding them some bullshit line about the rooms upstairs being closed and empty.

:lol:

:hi: ... and when you've finished looking around and about Denmark St. Don't forget to hop on the Northern Line (for a couple of stops) to Camden Town, and check out 'The Gallery' (Bass Merchant).. Martin, John and Alex will be happy to see you guy's!! Always a friendly bunch and some great gear to try before you buy.. *I am in no way affiliated to 'The Gallery' - just been happy with the service over the years'...

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/who.cfm"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/who.cfm[/url]

I went down Denmark Street about 2 months ago. I never knew where it was, but i knew it was close to Covent Garden. After being bored at 3 different Superdry shops, and every Apple Store we could find for the boy, and several shops for Birkenstock things for my wife, i finally found it. It was 6.55 pm and the shops were all shutting. I was very disappointed. Will have to try again next time i am in London now that i am aware of where it is.

[quote name='jamesbass116' timestamp='1378834296' post='2205351']
I absolutely love Wunjo's new dominance over Denmark Street. I'm not surprised they're spreading out so much as they have excellent, friendly service in all of their stores!

I've become quite well acquainted with Tom, the main guy in the Bass Centre, since buying my US Deluxe last September. He was brilliant with helping me find and get what I was after!

I'm pretty sure he also recognises every face that comes back in to the store and he's always willing to recommend I try out some basses he thinks I might fancy. Absolutely top guy.

The same can be said for the rest of the staff there too! They're all willing to have a chat and actually INTERACT with customers, unlike some of the sarcastic, smarmy people that worked there before the Wunjo's days...

I hope one day they buy out the whole street so we can just get it over with and rename it Wunjo's Street. They're singlehandedly bringing back the reputation that Denmark Street deserves: Amazing, tolerant and friendly service.

(DISCLAIMER: I haven't been hired by Wunjo's to post this review! I'm just a genuine admirer of the great job they're doing :) )
[/quote]

Exactly my experience. Tom and his staff were so friendly and accommodating and I ended up buying a USA Jazz deluxe. I might be soon getting the 5 string version - through them, as they've provided such excellent service.

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1378840212' post='2205464']
:hi: ... and when you've finished looking around and about Denmark St. Don't forget to hop on the Northern Line (for a couple of stops) to Camden Town, and check out 'The Gallery' (Bass Merchant).. Martin, John and Alex will be happy to see you guy's!! Always a friendly bunch and some great gear to try before you buy.. *I am in no way affiliated to 'The Gallery' - just been happy with the service over the years'...

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/who.cfm"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/who.cfm[/url]
[/quote]

I found them to be a miserable lot in there, and its a fair old hike from the station. Sorry mate. :(

I'd drag me nuts over broken glass before I recommended The Gallery in Camden. I don't want to be a troll, but they were hyper-sh*tty to me twice. In fairness I'd welcome positive comments from satisfied customers, but they could do with lesson in customer care from Wunjo. BTW, I've been checking out Wunjo for a good few years since the one shop and have always found them to be chaps. Lets hope it keeps on in that vein.

One new change is is that Vintage & Rare is no more (well, they've withdrawn to the Bath shop).

The old V&R shop looks the same and some of the stock is decent vintage, but it's been taken over by Ron (ex-Reso Centre and more recently very much ex-Wunjo).

V&R was always out of my price range... but if you took the time to chat, the level of knowledge in there was second to none. I miss it.

I guess we should appreciate the remains of Denmark Street while it's still there. In less than 10 years the whole north side (maybe more) will have been taken over/redeveloped and the place will be a music themed tourist trap.

The Gallery is a bit of an oddball... It is undoubtedly unfriendly but they do have by far the best selection of gear, miles better than anywhere else in London. Wunjos is very friendly but just stocks your standard fender / warwick type thing. When I go to a bass shop I like to try out unusual and different basses, we've all played a fender P, its nice to try out the odd sadowsky to see what all the fuss is about...

I'd rather just put up with the frosty atmosphere in order to try out the best gear. I'm not easily offended, It makes no difference to me if a guy in a shop wants to be my friend, I care if he lets me try out the best selection of gear in London.

Rob

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1378878660' post='2205804']
Wunjo's sounds great - I'll definitely check it out when I'm next in London.
I found the Gallery to be a less than pleasant experience :-(
[/quote]
I finally got there (after five years of trying on family trips) and they were closing. Stayed open for a few minutes on a friday night just for me so I have no complaints whatsoever