Why become a member? ×

New 'Later' Series On The Way....Yawwwwwnnnn!

spongebob

His show has introduced me to many acts and my cd collection reflects this quite heavily, and it's great to see some acts which I wouldn't otherwise see live (Everything Everything for example). I keep some performances for posterity and wander through them sometimes. (An example is Andy Fairwheather-Low's Gin song with that 9 piece brass section - amazing sound!)

I suppose there must be 10 others which do nothing for me (Jake Bugg, for example) at all for every one I enjoy (yep, even enjoyed Haim!), and the acts do seem to have become more bland recently, but I still record and watch each show (not always in on a Friday).

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1381925892' post='2245518']
...whoever is scouting for them or selecting them may be where the problem lies

I think they could easily have a live link-up with another, local BBC studio somewhere and have a new bands slot... or an unsigned acts slot somewhere in the programme... perhaps the camera crew could go out to a gig, or session somewhere on location?

Why not have a special edition of the programme, recorded live at one of the lesser known festivals?
[/quote]

I agree, and you have put forward some really great ideas there. Worth an email to the BBC, methinks. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381927238' post='2245562']
I agree, and you have put forward some really great ideas there. Worth an email to the BBC, methinks. :)
[/quote]

Potentially a good idea. However IME some of the BBC regional presenters/shows can be very partisan about which local artists they choose to support and which they simply ignore.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1381927833' post='2245574']
Potentially a good idea. However IME some of the BBC regional presenters/shows can be very partisan about which local artists they choose to support and which they simply ignore.
[/quote]

Indeed, but that probably happens on the show already
A producer may have or not have a liking for a particular band / act

One positive thing is at least it's what a completely different producer thinks is worth supporting....
Gives the viewer access to bands they may otherwise not see.....

I still get miffed by the amount of acts that appear time and time again, every time they've got a new record to promote.

There's so many people, including established acts, that when they're in the UK, I always think....maybe.....please put them on, and not x band/act again for the 3rd series in a row......

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1381932167' post='2245663']
Indeed, but that probably happens on the show already
A producer may have or not have a liking for a particular band / act

One positive thing is at least it's what a completely different producer thinks is worth supporting....
Gives the viewer access to bands they may otherwise not see.....
[/quote]

Taking Bill Nelson as an example; Here's one of the most prolific and influential British guitarists of the last 40 years and there is a school of thought amongst his diehard fanbase that he hasn't been invited on to Later because he gave an (allegedly) less than flattering review of a Jools Holland album a few years ago. Could be a conspiracy theory, could be true. I don't know but there does seem to be a weighting towards Jools' pals on the programme.

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1381951038' post='2246028']
Taking Bill Nelson as an example; Here's one of the most prolific and influential British guitarists of the last 40 years and there is a school of thought amongst his diehard fanbase that he hasn't been invited on to Later because he gave an (allegedly) less than flattering review of a Jools Holland album a few years ago.
[/quote]

That's a real shame, because he's still got it, you know! :D

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwB7pZm2bmg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwB7pZm2bmg[/url]

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1379456187' post='2213025']
I thought the Kanye West track was truly terrible. I don't like hip hop at the best of times, but musically for me it was just such a bad mix full of terribly unmusical ideas. I can only give the man the benefit of the doubt and assume the studio version sounds much better.
[/quote]

Nope, if anything it's worse.

I would normally tend to support this programme, despite the detractors, as I have discovered a number of acts I would never have heard of (eg Urban Species) but the one tonight was poor. Passenger (whingey solo artist, we play with loads of people like this unfortunately), John Newman (Antony & The Johnsons' vocals only less interesting), Lloyd Cole (bitter and a bit sad) etc etc. Really pretty disappointing

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1382137907' post='2248687']
Passenger (whingey solo artist, we play with loads of people like this unfortunately)[/quote]

Fingernails down a blackboard time. Hideous.

Andy you're right - there's a load of people around peddling this nonsense.

Sing in your own voice, fer cryin' out loud. It's like listening to an impressionist.

I enjoyed it. Having acts playing live, with mistakes and fluctuations, is still preferable in my opinion, to the homogenised Simon Cowell fayre on offer elsewhere.

Passenger - nice track. Lloyd Cole - I enjoyed the rawness of the band.

I guess I'm just a fan of hearing people make a musical noise. I've been this way for 35 years, and my delight in music hasn't faded yet.

Edited by kevin_lindsay

i often tend th this
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1382138369' post='2248693']

Sing in your own voice, fer cryin' out loud. It's like listening to an impressionist.
[/quote]
but usually end up back at this
[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1382155365' post='2248749']
I enjoyed it. Having acts playing live, with mistakes and fluctuations, is still preferable in my opinion, to the homogenised Simon Cowell fayre on offer elsewhere.
I guess I'm just a fan of hearing people make a musical noise. I've been this way for 35 years, and my delight in music hasn't faded yet.
[/quote]

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1381951038' post='2246028']
Taking Bill Nelson as an example; Here's one of the most prolific and influential British guitarists of the last 40 years and there is a school of thought amongst his diehard fanbase that he hasn't been invited on to Later because he gave an (allegedly) less than flattering review of a Jools Holland album a few years ago. Could be a conspiracy theory, could be true. I don't know but there does seem to be a weighting towards Jools' pals on the programme.
[/quote]

Excellent point! Seems that the BBC do like holding their grudges.
and I'm guessing the reason The Damned have never been invited has something to do with the Sensible/Ward/Scabies
Parkinson's Party Punch bowl event that alledgedly occured during their 1979 visit to the OGWT studio's.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1382138369' post='2248693']

[/quote]

While I quite enjoyed seeing the passion in the performance these are exactly the two points my lad made. Maybe I'm getting old.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1382137907' post='2248687']
...Lloyd Cole (bitter and a bit sad) etc etc. Really pretty disappointing
[/quote]

Yes, he came across as rather hard work with quite a judgemental stare. Liked the guitar playing in his band, but I had to wonder how an act like this builds a fan base? Why would anyone think, 'Ooh, Lloyd Cole is playing at the Dominion, must go to all the effort and expense of getting tickets and getting my 'arris down there'? Wasn't bad or anything, just wonder how it happens.

The other problem I have is that there is a lot of new music out there, which doesn't get played.
As people said, Haim were on there, but they were also on the breakfast news, they were on our local news show, they were on the andrew mar show, and they are obviously being heavily pushed at the moment. It would be nice to see someone who wasn't being heavily pushed.

Don't know how true this is, but an ex-bandmate of mine who plays full-time with a guy who's very well connected told me an appearance on 'Later' is normally part of a purchased PR package which includes other slots on radio/t.v., etc.

He did mention it was in the thousands......!

As I said, I can't validate this, but it would make sense as to why they tend to book the same artists/bands quite regularly, especially when they're pushing their latest 'my best work yet...' album.