Why become a member? ×

Passive P pickup -what's hot and what's not

Dom in Dorset

I recently went crazy and bought a Westfield P copy for very little money. I spent a bit of time setting it up and the neck is superb. I've tried and couple of Westfields and despite being ludicrously cheap they are good, The stock pickup is probably ok, I've not had a chance to play at volume for any length of time. I'll probably replace the bridge at some point.
Anyway.... I was wondering what would people recomend for a pickup upgrade?
Passive only please.

Not one of the more popular choices, but I was very happy with a GFS replacement pickup in my Squier P. The Bass Doc, who fitted for me, was very complimentary regarding it's quality. That's a pretty good recommendation!

Great prices too!

[url="http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Bass-Guitar-Pickups_c_97.html"]http://www.guitarfet...ckups_c_97.html[/url]

Edited by Conan

Depends on what you`re looking for really. From the ones I`ve had, as below:

Fender Original/Vintage - traditional woody P-Bass sounds, sits great in the mix, warm lows and low-mids, rounded highs.
Seymour Duncan SPB-1 - as above but more lows and less low-mids, still very vintage sounding, think Motown.
Seymour Duncan SPB-3 - also known as The Quarterpounder - high output, think "more of everything" especially lows and highs. Due to this it can sound scooped in the mids. Has a slight "metallic" tang to the sound. Heavy rock & punk love this pup.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1378458759' post='2200488']
Depends on what you`re looking for really.
[/quote]

Exactly this, they are chalk and cheese - all have their own voice. There is a lot of love for SD SPB3 but I really am not keen on them. For the sound I wanted from my bass, the best I have tried was a Wizard Trad. The nicest tone of all my P basses comes from the stock pups that are in my Squier Silver Series! But these could be perceived to be too dull and thumpy. It all depends what you want.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1378456672' post='2200451']
Not one of the more popular choices, but I was very happy with a GFS replacement pickup in my Squier P. The Bass Doc, who fitted for me, was very complimentary regarding it's quality. That's a pretty good recommendation!

Great prices too!

[url="http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Bass-Guitar-Pickups_c_97.html"]http://www.guitarfet...ckups_c_97.html[/url]
[/quote]

This - GFS pups punch WAY above their price bracket!

As a matter of interest if you wanted to get close to the tone of John Entwistle's Frankenstien bass as used on Live at Leeds what pickup would you choose? (modern pickup rather than whatever the original was)
Probably not the sound I'm after but I do like that sound.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1378468593' post='2200747']
I've tried a few including a Fender Original 62 and Duncan SPB-1 in my US Standard P and ended up back with the stock one! Sounds a bit brighter and louder than the others did.
[/quote]
My Jazz has stock Fenders and I'm happy with those. Fender do seem to produce several different versions of each pickup and not all of them are available as a spare.

I would wholeheartedly endorse just about all the recommendations so far , and add my own two pence worth by adding to them the Hanson / Lakland Neo Punch . I can't say enough good things about this pickup . This is my own current favourite , largely due to its' big , raucous and growly sound . It's a bit of a hooligan , and if you want an aggressive P Bass tone I would thoroughly recommend it . It's a fairly unique ( fairly unique ? I think that's what they call a tautology , but anyway...) design in so much as it uses a neodynium magnet , but I'm sure that must contribute to the the incredibly punchy and responsive tone . The output is pretty hefty , too . Geezer Butler has them in his basses , and he knows a thing or two about getting a great rock sound from a Precision Bass .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1378456325' post='2200442']
also if you can find one, those '70/'80's cream pups from Dimarzio are ace. Sometimes go on ebags for just a few quid.
[/quote]

This. All my favourite-sounding Ps have had these in. In fact I'll soon be on the lookout for one myself....