Why become a member? ×

Really Enjoying My New Band

molan

I joined a band earlier this summer and am enjoying it more than any band I've been in for a long time.

They are really well organised, every member is a nice bloke and the music is fun to play.

Rehearsals are fixed well in advance, we set up at 7:15, ready to play within 20 minutes or so, finish at 9:40 and in the pub by 10:00 for a beer and a natter.

Everyone turns up knowing the songs planned for each night and each person's views about making any changes to arrangements are discussed, tried out and taken on board if they work.

No egos, no silly posturing but we don't suffer from the problem you sometimes get in a democracy of not making decisions and faffing around wasting time.

Lots of jokes and wisecracks all evening and lots of smiling going on as well :)

It's also the first band in a while where I haven't been the person doing a lot of the organising. Gives me time to learn the material, set up a new pedal board and concentrate on playing.

Couple of gigs booked already but they've left enough time to make sure the two new boys (me and the drummer) are properly bedded in. Really looking forward to them!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1378253727' post='2197851']
Sigh, they don't need another bass player, do they? :lol:

That's good to hear. We've had our share of "my bloody band" threads, so it's good to hear from someone obviously enjoying it :)

Did you manage to learn the five songs?
[/quote]

I did learn the songs but was a bit patchy on one of them. The drummer didn't know it and the arrangement was a bit complicated.

However the guys were really supportive and we pretty much bashed through it first time - in fact I was able to point out some parts that the band maybe didn't have quite right and we incorporated them into e arrangement :)

Great news. Nice to hear. I'm with a new band too but personal circumstances ie births, family illness within band have put things on hold for a few weeks. No pressure when I mentioned the family illness and others were extremely supportive.
I'm liking the way they think, operate and generally handle things within the band so hopefully this will be a happy ending too.

First few rehearsals went extremely well with no up front learning for audition. All their own material. They wanted me to turn up, play along with them and see how I sounded and fitted in. They offered me the job that night after rehearsal. WELL PLEASED WITH MYSELF - LOL

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1378253585' post='2197850']
Couple of gigs booked already but they've left enough time to make sure the two new boys (me and the drummer) are properly bedded in. Really looking forward to them!
[/quote]
Where are your gigs? I'm always up for checking out a band.

Nice one Barrie. I still love being in Kit's band, totally pro and lovely people. Same with London Zulu and Sheema. It makes it all a real pleasure and gigs are always fun, it's great hanging with these people. It should be this way for everyone really, but it's like any other team activity with different personalities..

I'm currently loving my [url="http://jsonicsmusic.co.uk/"]band[/url] - pretty much the same situation but as we're all jazzers it's more about getting a pad of tunes together - which we've done, and now have about 20 we can dip into - although we're sticking with around 10 for our set. But working with a). pros and B). nice guys - means we can be ultra efficient and organised - and because I've done other bands where stuff wasn't how I've wanted it, myself along with a couple of others are bringing in tunes we've written or cool covers of stuff we like - so the whole thing is just much more pleasurable and as a result we making good music!