Why become a member? ×

Used Equipment Pricing Etiquette

flyfisher

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1377376208' post='2186946']
The last time this topic came up (a few months back) there were quite a few posters who were adamant that selling stuff on here for more than you paid for it was a massive abuse of the community and completely and utterly unforgivable.
[/quote]

The same "community" that has sold me knackered gear in the past & then used the old "well it was fine when it left me" line to wash their hands of all responsibility.
I've been f***ed over for best part of £1000 on here so don't anybody dare have the nerve to talk to me about the noble community spirit that this forum has when it comes to buying & selling stuff.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1377417196' post='2187176']
I don't really like the idea of people buying stuff with the sole intention of selling it for a profit. Either here, or on eBay, or in life in general.
[/quote]

Life in general? Isn't this how shops work?

IMHO opinion people are entitled to ask what they want for their gear, and we are entitled to pay what we want for their gear. If it seems to be too pricey we dont have to buy it!
I have my eye on something for sale here but I think its overpriced. The seller has gradually decreased the price over a period of time and when the price is right, I will step in.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1377423167' post='2187237']

The same "community" that has sold me knackered gear in the past & then used the old "well it was fine when it left me" line to wash their hands of all responsibility.
I've been f***ed over for best part of £1000 on here so don't anybody dare have the nerve to talk to me about the noble community spirit that this forum has when it comes to buying & selling stuff.
[/quote]

You sound like a girl who gets cheated on and brands all men scukbags

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1377425618' post='2187272']
You sound like a girl who gets cheated on and brands all men scukbags
[/quote]

I don't think that's fair. I read it as the experience having torpedoed a hole in the concept of the so-called "community", it wasn't made personal, it wasn't said that everyone on here is a lying, cheating scumbag. I think that your comment is out of line and an unnecessary dig.

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1377420883' post='2187207']
My pet hate is sellers using the phrase 'I just want to get back what I paid for it'.

If selling an amp for example my immediate thought would be - well you say you've had it for two years, so done maybe fifty gigs with it and countless rehearsals and now you have the audacity to say you want your money back.

This also implies that the seller having had two years of use and wear and tear of this item would normally be selling at an increased price but in fact is doing us a favour 'just' asking to get back what they paid for it.

OK, rant over, I know you can look at this from an entirely different angle but personally I'd never reply to such an ad because rightly or wrongly puts me off straight away.
[/quote]

I think that depends on the reason - if someone buys a bass and the advert says "It arrived this morning, I've played it for 2 hours and I just can't get on with the neck shape" then I don't have a problem with that approach.

I also have a bit of a Time Value concept with gear.

So I buy a new pedal for £200. I use it for a year and then sell it for £130.

To me that £70 is NOT just depreciation - it is also my payment for the use of the pedal for a year. Would I pay £70 to rent an expensive pedal for an entire year? Seems pretty good value to me.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1377426217' post='2187276']
I don't think that's fair. I read it as the experience having torpedoed a hole in the concept of the so-called "community", it wasn't made personal, it wasn't said that everyone on here is a lying, cheating scumbag. I think that your comment is out of line and an unnecessary dig.
[/quote]

Yes, its a bit below the belt mate.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1377429320' post='2187337']
Sort of I suppose. If you went into a shop and they had one of the thing you wanted left, and another guy bought it and offered it to you for 200 more. That's basically arsehole tax.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
But who would be the arsehole? The seller or the buyer?

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1377423167' post='2187237']
[/quote]

That is frankly appaling.
At the risk of lobbing hand grenades, they really should be named and shamed.
Both sides of the situation would be good. Not to judge, but to make any decisions if others wish to deal with them.
I hope you left relevant feedback.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1377429320' post='2187337']
Sort of I suppose. If you went into a shop and they had one of the thing you wanted left, and another guy bought it and offered it to you for 200 more. That's basically arsehole tax.
[/quote]

A rather extreme and unlikely scenario, but c'est la vie. Should have got in there first then, if you really wanted it. I think this is merely enterprising. Cheeky, maybe, opportunistic, most certainly, but I don't think it's fair or appropriate to use terms like "arsehole tax". Sounds petty to me. Also, "200 more" means nothing without an original figure. It's clearly preposterous if you're talking about a Mars Bar, I'll grant you that. But would anyone be stupid enough to buy a £200.75 Mars Bar?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1377417196' post='2187176']
I don't really like the idea of people buying stuff with the sole intention of selling it for a profit.
[/quote]

Er... that's western consumer capitalism - the system we all live under.
You should move to Venezuela and farm goats. :)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1377375810' post='2186937']
It's yours. You and the market set the price at the time you sell it. The price you paid is utterly irrelevant.

Spotting a bargain and buying cheap does not mean you have to sell it onwards cheap.

In these days of hard times if you have the chance to put a little extra food on the table by making some profit and you decide not to - you need your head examined.
[/quote]
This. If I buy something that someone else undervalued, then I think it's okay to sell it on at a fair market value.
Not sure why person C should benefit from person A's lack of research and person B gains nothing. Person A is rid of unwanted item, person B is alert and is rewarded for being on the ball, person C gets something they want at a fair price.
Equally I'd never scam anyone with broken, damaged or mis described items.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1377457250' post='2187802']
Out of interest would you sell on at a profit to someone you considered a mate (and vice versa)?
[/quote]

Interesting point... if I sold something to a mate for a profit yet the price I sold it at would still be considered well below its market value, then I might... and if a mate sold something to me under the same circumstances I would be totally cool with that, if I considered it a fair price. So yes, I suppose I would! Eek! :blink:

Fair enough Mark * makes mental note never to deal with discreet * ..... kidding!

I know a fair few people on BC quite well on a personal level (Happy Jack, MacDaddy, Thunderbird 13, bluejay, xilddx, Beedster, waynepunkdude etc etc) and I would never think of making a profit out of them, but then I am one of those (possibly gullible) people that believes in karma and 'what goes around, comes around'. Like I said early on in this thread, noone is right or wrong. Its entirely up to the individual and their personal stance

As for the argument about putting bread on the table for your family, quite apart from it sounding faintly ludicrous and Dickensian, I sincerely hope none of us on BassChat actually have to rely on dealing in bass gear to support our families (excepting those who work in music retail of course)

Surely, if you sell something to anyone at below the free market price, irrespective of how much you paid for it, then you are effectively taking money out of your pocket(/family coffers) and putting it into theirs. If it's a tenner then not a problem, if its £200 then I'd only do that for my immediate family.

As for the idea of "wanting to get back what I paid": Never did understand that one. You buy at a price that you are prepared to pay, and sell at a price that others are prepared to pay. This may be more or less than you paid, but to think that you automatically deserve to get what you paid for it seems a bit odd (to me at least).

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1377457250' post='2187802']
Out of interest would you sell on at a profit to someone you considered a mate (and vice versa)?
[/quote]
Yes, because everyone I know is aware I won't overcharge them for anything. They expect to pay something like market value, and would say "fair play" if they knew I got a bargain. They wouldn't expect to benefit from my work

Equally it's not exactly a business and I just pay any profit I might ever make into the mortgage account or give it to my partner as an unexpected bonus,

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1377458129' post='2187819']
Fair enough Mark * makes mental note never to deal with discreet * ... kidding!
[/quote]

Heh, heh. Of course I'd always do a special deal for [i]you[/i], Clarky! :D * rubs hands together à la Uriah Heep *

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1377458129' post='2187819']
Fair enough Mark * makes mental note never to deal with discreet * ..... kidding!

I know a fair few people on BC quite well on a personal level (Happy Jack, MacDaddy, Thunderbird 13, bluejay, xilddx, Beedster, waynepunkdude etc etc) and I would never think of making a profit out of them, but then I am one of those (possibly gullible) people that believes in karma and 'what goes around, comes around'. Like I said early on in this thread, noone is right or wrong. Its entirely up to the individual and their personal stance[/quote]

I had a bass that I wanted to sell that I knew another basschatter (and someone I know personally) really wanted. I was happy to hold onto it until he was in a position to buy. Friends and family get a different deal.

[quote]As for the argument about putting bread on the table for your family, quite apart from it sounding faintly ludicrous and Dickensian, I sincerely hope none of us on BassChat actually have to rely on dealing in bass gear to support our families (excepting those who work in music retail of course)
[/quote]

I don't "rely" on selling gear to feed my family, but at the same time I've reached a stage where I only sell things in order to fund something else. If I under-sell gear then the extra cash has to come from somewhere, and thats cash I'd rather spend on my family.