Why become a member? ×

Used Equipment Pricing Etiquette

flyfisher

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1377536010' post='2188584']
I dont have a really issue with them buying and selling, but i would expect them to contribute to our community rather than just come her to make a profit. This is the reason ive always thought members should rack up some posts before being allowed to sell things (sorry, i know thats off topic)
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1377546613' post='2188756']
Dave, yep,
I understand the difference between business and a supposed community and if the transaction had have been on a business type footing
then that is the way busniness is.
I would say more than a few sales per year makes it a business deal and you need to pay for that privilegde, less than that and you get a reduced or free go..
That is a community to me....
It is a hard thing to quantify, .........Am I worried about £100..??? no, it is the whole manner of these things and the way the thing was done
Anyway, I don't sell much but I do see the guys posts and read them 'differently' now :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

There is no connection between the "community" and the for sale section. Anyone can sell stuff, you dont need to be a part of the community or even post in it. Therefore the community cannot expect any different from some sellers. If the site owners insist that sellers must contribute and post in the "community" part of the forum then there is some connection, but until then.......

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1377458129' post='2187819']
I sincerely hope none of us on BassChat actually have to rely on dealing in bass gear to support our families (excepting those who work in music retail of course)
[/quote]

Aside from not really having a family to support, dealing bass gear is my main income. Well, guitar gear too, but I play bass through it all.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1377536010' post='2188584']
I dont have a really issue with them buying and selling, but i would expect them to contribute to our community rather than just come her to make a profit. This is the reason ive always thought members should rack up some posts before being allowed to sell things (sorry, i know thats off topic)
[/quote]
I would have agreed with this, except that I've dealt with one particular BCer who meets this description (buying and selling but not posting elsewhere) who has been really useful in supplying assorted bits of cheap secondhand gear I've posted wanted ads for, and were I looking for certain bits of used gear again, he's probably one of the first people I'd ask. I'm not naming names, but I feel like this particular chap is actually a bit of an asset to have on the forum.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1377550234' post='2188812']
I'm not naming names, but I feel like this particular chap is actually a bit of an asset to have on the forum.
[/quote]

There you go - as has been said the marketplace is one thing and the community is another. They don't necessarily have to meet. I'm reminded of the saying, 'keep friends and business separate'. :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1377522655' post='2188416']
A similar thing happened to me. The guy said he had already owned a the same bass I was selling, but still asked where it was made. I thought that strange but so what, I got a sale. Checking this guy out it seemed he had a lot of sales on here but no community posts.
Months later it was on here for more money being sold by a different member (with. Very low post count IIR), with no indication of its history, not even when I posted a light hearted post in the thread. That was totally ignored. It wasnt even mentioned that it was already secondhand. It had a couple of issues when I sold it, and I was up front about that, I'd also ripped it apart at some point to change pups and electrics etc.
The new owner was well aware of its history, they got in touch with me, so it's all good, but to me it's obvious the are some people treating our once safe place as a cheaper, and less legal alternative to eBay etc, with no real beinifit to this community.
[/quote]

Guys, can I make the appeal - if you do feel their are genuine issues with the way business is being conducted on BC, then please do flag to the moderating team. I'll admit, we can't help the prices people might set for their items - but if they're trying to bypass the payment gateway; if you're unsure of the provenance of the item; or if it looks like they're a commercial seller or a scammer, please do get it reported.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1377551204' post='2188824']

Guys, can I make the appeal - if you do feel their are genuine issues with the way business is being conducted on BC, then please do flag to the moderating team. I'll admit, we can't help the prices people might set for their items - but if they're trying to bypass the payment gateway; if you're unsure of the provenance of the item; or if it looks like they're a commercial seller or a scammer, please do get it reported.
[/quote]

As I said in my post, no rules were broken, and this was well before the payment system came in, It just didn't feel like a "close knit comunity" type of thing to do.
I've seen more than one of my old basses or cabs go for a bit more money on here, but I know I undersold them or that the reail price had gone up, and they were passed on with full disclosure and links back to my threads. I'm cool with that, and I know the sellers were genuine players who just wanted to move the basses on.
I just dont feel comfortable with the other way of selling, the buy it and relist it without full disclosure, and at a higher price, by members how only join to buy and sell.
It's just my way of thinking though, I'm a fussy and paranoid bugger sometimes.

While all of my buying and selling experiences on here have been positive (which makes it sound like there have been loads! :o ), I think you have to treat each deal as an individual set of circumstances. Applying general rules is always risky, and both buyers and sellers can leave themselves open to problems.

That said, I do believe in the "community" ethos - to a certain extent. But I think it would be naive to expect everyone to behave in the same way. After all, we are all individual people with our own motivations. There are some people on here to which I would extend the "mates' rates" scenario - but not all. Again, I think it is naive to assume the best in everyone.

I have experienced the best and worst of this "community" and this has led me to be somewhat more wary than I would have been a few years ago. Do your research - not just into the item itself, but the buyer/seller too. Feedback is useful, but you can often learn more from what [i]isn't[/i] said about someone!

At the end of the day though, whatever I buy or sell something for is really no business of anyone but myself and the buyer/seller. Of course, the thread is still there for future reference - which is fair. But the PMs and other private communications are not. People need to bear this in mind when trawling through old threads!

Hmmmm... all of this is making me want to buy or sell something! Is there method in the OP's madness?? :D

Edited by Conan