Why become a member? ×

How much do you pay for a setup?

TRBboy

Hey fellas, i knowa lot of us do it ourselves but just interested to know how much people pay for a pro setup? Suppose it includes a restring (without the cost of the strings), fret polish, fretboard oil, truss rod adjustment, action adjustment, intonation adjustment, etc.

So what's the going rate?

Cheers.

The luthier I use has 2 rates, £35 for a basic set-up, and £55 for a full job. The full set-up includes:

Level, dress and polish the frets
• Clean and oil the fretboard
• Check, clean and lubricate electronics
• Re-cut nut to suit (if necessary)
• Set pickup heights
• Set intonation, action and truss rod
• Clean and lubricate bridge screws
• Set Tremolo (if applicable)
• Check all hardware
• Fit new strings (at extra cost)
• Full clean and polish

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1374791008' post='2153416']
Learn to do it yourself - apart from needing work on the frets it's not hard.
[/quote]

Oh I always do it myself, it was kind of a hypothetical question following a conversation I had earlier. I've been setting up and repairing guitars since I was about 16 (15 years ago), and I used to do it for customers in the music shops I worked in.

I've seen the Bass Gallery charge someone £30. So it's not "London Weighting" all over London.

Playsomething in Bishops Stortford do it for a bargain sum of £100 with strings thrown in! Bargain!

By the way, their guy is crap too.

Edited by Grangur

Things like pickup hight while have to be balanced to me are still a personal thing. I have mine sky high, a luthier will no doubt lower them.

I think I heard some one in notts pay £60, I'd told them I'd do it for a tenner. He replied suing but he changed the strings aswell, as if tha ts the hardest part.

Id say £40 ,that was the standard charge for my man,but he's now left the country. I've now found someone who charges £25 and is better. I don't like just leaving a bass without meeting so it's good to meet before and after to have a chat about any issues .

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1374790376' post='2153403']
The luthier I use has 2 rates, £35 for a basic set-up, and £55 for a full job. The full set-up includes:

Level, dress and polish the frets
• Clean and oil the fretboard
• Check, clean and lubricate electronics
• Re-cut nut to suit (if necessary)
• Set pickup heights
• Set intonation, action and truss rod
• Clean and lubricate bridge screws
• Set Tremolo (if applicable)
• Check all hardware
• Fit new strings (at extra cost)
• Full clean and polish
[/quote]

Is that Terry in Stevenage? I've not used him myself, but a mate uses him for his guitars and can't say enough good words about him.

If you're expecting any fretwork (fret-dress/polish etc) I'd be very wary of anything under about £50, as it probably means it'll be a rush-job and not very good.

I've always paid about £50 for a full setup and fret-dress, and if the frets are OK I just do it myself, as others have said it's really not that hard other than fretwork.

I use Stuart from Peter Cooks in Hanwell. He looks after all my guitars, acoustic, electric and basses. I had to have the nut re cut and the frets stoned on my old P bass recently, otherwise I do it myself. I think he charges 40 quid for a setup.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1374860595' post='2154227']
Blimey, playing bass must cost some people a fortune!

10 minutes, a set of screwdrivers, allen keys and a tuner is all you need unless you've got a bass with a neck or fret problem.
[/quote]

Lol! Know what you mean.

I do my own setups, but I've a well used 30 year old bass that needs some fret work doing...