Why become a member? ×

How much do you pay for a setup?

TRBboy

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1375184980' post='2157715']

[size=4][size=3]Yes, it's funny how when I want my old bass from home to have a set-up it's imperative for it to have new strings. Yet if I buy a bass from the shop and they do a set-up for me when I buy it, the old strings are perfectly good for a few more months.

Funny that...[/size]
[/quote]

But is it actually neccessary? Or is it just to make a few extra quid? The reason I ask is because you said the shop had told you that a set up would be a waste of time without them. Is there a justification for it? I would have thought that a set up would be better with old strings on the basis that new strings will stretch and settle in, so a set up that suits a new set might not be right for the strings a month or two later.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1375082938' post='2156378']

Well "mates rates" which seems to be what you're implying is fine, but the OP's question seemed to be more about standard/realistic prices for a decent setup from an established/experienced tech or luthier, but I fully agree paying over the odds for average work sucks. Paying too little and getting below-average work is just as bad tho IMHO:

If the setup includes a full fret-dress/re-crown/polish and a really thorough clean and setup of the instrument, I know the work involved is at least an hour, probably more if the frets are really worn. So if you're routinely paying a lot less than about £50 for this, then one or more of the following is probably true (ignoring mates rates):

- The tech is inexperienced, therefore cheap, job may be shoddy
- The tech is experienced but rushed the job to keep the price down, job may be shoddy
- They are not covering their costs (won't be around next year when you need another setup)

Ultimately if you can offer a really good fret-dress/setup for less then great, but IME most places (which stay in business) charge a realistic amount which covers their costs, not to say all of them do a great job, so I guess going on recommendation is the only way to be sure.

Edit: spelling
[/quote]

I'm not talking mates rates. I'm talking real world professional setups, fretwork (and custom builds) from my workshop.

I can offer my customers extremely high quality work throughout at lower prices because my workshop happens to be in my house. I guess that's where i differ from the big guys in big shops!

All i was trying to say is don't be put off by price alone. Some people out there are genuinely offering a good deal!! :)

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1375185662' post='2157735']
But is it actually neccessary? Or is it just to make a few extra quid? The reason I ask is because you said the shop had told you that a set up would be a waste of time without them. Is there a justification for it? I would have thought that a set up would be better with old strings on the basis that new strings will stretch and settle in, so a set up that suits a new set might not be right for the strings a month or two later.
[/quote]
It's making the shop being opportunistic if you ask me. If The Bass Gallery are happy to sell me a bass and unexpectedly throw in a free set-up without needing new strings, then I don't see why any other shop can't set up a bass without re-stringing. The standards at the Gallery are pretty high, so if it were needed they'd have said - not getting at any specific shop here. I'm talking generally.

[/quote]

In my experience if the strings are being removed for fretwork, fingerboard cleaning etc etc a new set is the ideal way forward. Old strings can have small kinks in them from use that can lead to strange fret buzzes appearing out of nowhere.

I had a customer insist that i put her old strings back on her acoustic after fretwork then complained that it buzzed on the 4th fret.....i advised her that it was the old strings! She finally aggreed to let me fit the new set and to her delight the guitar was perfect!

[/quote]

It isn't necessary... but if you go and whack on some new strings a couple of weeks later then you'll need a new setup to match the new tension and neck/string interaction - even switching like for like requires a new setup. Rather that the shop being "opportunistic" (which to a point they are - it's a business after all) it actually saves you money from having to pay to set it up all over again. Of course if you plan on keeping the same strings for a long long time then it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Interesting read this. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1375190872' post='2157883']
It isn't necessary... but if you go and whack on some new strings a couple of weeks later then you'll need a new setup to match the new tension and neck/string interaction - even switching like for like requires a new setup. Rather that the shop being "opportunistic" (which to a point they are - it's a business after all) it actually saves you money from having to pay to set it up all over again. Of course if you plan on keeping the same strings for a long long time then it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Interesting read this. :)
[/quote]

It never occurred to me that every new set of strings would require another set up. I seldom change strings as I like the sound of my Rotos when they've been on for a while, but I might just fire a set of flats on and never have to worry about changing the strings ever again :lol: