Why become a member? ×

Is there anything you can't play after a certain age?

seashell

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1374685328' post='2151889']
You are probably too old to stand up and rap like a gangstar to your hommies other than that anything goes!
[/quote]

Oh God yes. Nothing worse than Dad (or Mum) rap. Even when done as comedy it often falls flat.

I do find most pop and rock doesn't come off too well after a point. Jazz, folk, classical, even Blues, all seem to feel ok but older guys playing a lot of rock n pop genres look a bit 'sad' to me. I recently saw the Michael Schenker group. MS played great but posturing looks seriously iffy.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1374694340' post='2152071']
I do find most pop and rock doesn't come off too well after a point. Jazz, folk, classical, even Blues, all seem to feel ok but older guys playing a lot of rock n pop genres look a bit 'sad' to me. I recently saw the Michael Schenker group. MS played great but posturing looks seriously iffy.
[/quote]

Schenker . Met him a couple of times . Seriously lost the plot . As well as his crazy sister, who takes her budgie everywhere .

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1374685328' post='2151889']You are probably too old to stand up and rap like a gangstar to your hommies other than that anything goes![/quote]

Chuck D still holds the fort for a fifty-something year old rapper. Plenty of others too.

I think rap is more of a cultural phenomenon than anything to do with age. But that's another discussion for another day ;)

It's not even a case of Grandparents growing up listening to the Beatles or Elvis - these days a lot of Grandparents grew up listening to bands from the 70s, 80s and even 90s. For a change I don't agree with Bilbo here, a lot of country, Americana and Rockabilly acts also contain older players. Certainly the punk scene is littered with older players. Age is no big deal. I grew up listening to bands like the Rolling Stones and Kiss, all of whom were being told they were getting on - and this was 30yrs and they are still playing now. I stopped playing initially at 26yrs old as I thought I was too old. It lasted 4yrs and now at 40yrs old I feel better than ever. Who cares and long may it continue. I'd hate to think I had to stop before I wanted to

I think as well, the thing with this is when you play said "young music", don`t play it trying to be young, play it being you.

It seems in this country many have an issue with older people playing music that`s meant to be "young". However much of The Beach Boys lyrics are relevant to late teens at best, yet no-one seems to have issues with them playing those wonderful songs.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1374703922' post='2152308']
I think as well, the thing with this is when you play said "young music", don`t play it trying to be young, play it being you.

[/quote]

This is absolutey true, and I think really explains why some performers seem to get away with it and others don't.

I can be 'me' doing Teen Spirit, or any amount of angry shouty stuff. It was just that I thought I'd have difficulties with the dozy teenage w***er attitude.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1374667476' post='2151505']

I am , sad to say , old enough to have seen Green Day play live back when they were an unknown band playing to twenty people in a student bar for free , and countless other times in similaly modest circumstances . They must be about the same age as me . Back in those days they used to do a post-modern ironic cover of Goodbye To Romance by Ozzy Ozbourne . If you had told me twenty -odd years ago that they would become a 21st Century supergroup I would have laughed at you .
[/quote]
Slightly OT dingus, but who is this week's lady in your avatar ? Can't quite make it out on my iPhone screen

I have qualms with some parts of Wagner's 'Ring' cycle (especially the appearance of Alberich the Nibelung from the depths of the Earth...), and a couple of Schubert's lieder ('Death and the Maiden', and a few others). Other than that, anything goes, really.
In my current band, half the repertoire is in French, anyway, so no-one understands a word... :mellow:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1374665575' post='2151458']
That one's out of the question for me anyway, cos I could never manage the bass solo! :lol: :blush:
[/quote]

Can't really do the bass solo either but it's still in the set of practically every gig we do ;)
I don't think the singer really has much of an idea of what the basslines actually do or what it takes to pull them off (fnar fnar). Typically I turn up cold for a gig having not had much time to put practice in during the week and he'll call out Going Underground and My Generation as the first two songs.

How old are you Shell? How old do you look? How old do you feel?

All different.

I think enjoying playing the song is the important factor. If you like a song and it moves you then the audience will sense that.

If you're not enjoying it and the song doesn't sound right musically because you're not feeling it then maybe you should let the band know you're not happy.

I would never boycott any song due to words or style, only if I thought it didn't sound good.