Why become a member? ×

Nile Rogers & Chic at Glasto: On BBC 4 now!

TRBboy

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372500453' post='2126442']
I just watched the clip and it reminded me of why I dont like Flea on a Jazz live either, it always leaves me thinking how much bigger yet just as defined on the slap/treble notes it would be.
[/quote]

+1.

I love that if you have a different opinion there's obviously something wrong with you. :rolleyes:

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1372517173' post='2126704']
+1.

I love that if you have a different opinion there's obviously something wrong with you. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Just me and you by the sounds of things, they will have to put us on a desert island where you can try and get me to start liking these Ricky basses :)

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1372513140' post='2126652']
Just watching now, funkin funky funk stuff, funk off anyone who's funk gland cant twitch to this shizzle...top draw groove all round :P
[/quote]

Likewise, belting concert. Nile Rodgers is just way too cool! The bass player goes ok too 😜

any TV sound engineers here? i'd like to know how they mix for broadcast. i'm assuming they get the dry stage mix and blend it with the 'sound out front' to create a similar sound to being in the audience? i usually think it would nicer to here a bit more of the stage mix and less of the out-front sound.

the glasto Chic performance to me sounds exactly like being in the audience - i.e. huge kick drum and gigantic frequency filling bass.

compare it with this live show where the sound is much drier, while still sounding 'live'. much preferable i think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1APFyc_QtQ

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372518790' post='2126731']
Just me and you by the sounds of things, they will have to put us on a desert island where you can try and get me to start liking these Ricky basses :)
[/quote]

:lol:

If it helps I'm kind of gassing for a Musicman at the moment. ;) Although I've used them before I've never owned one. I'd have to find the right one though due to my various physical issues.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1372520663' post='2126769']

:lol:

If it helps I'm kind of gassing for a Musicman at the moment. ;) Although I've used them before I've never owned one. I'd have to find the right one though due to my various physical issues.
[/quote]
That's why I just got rid of my pre eb ray and why old horse Murphy needed to get shut of his classic 5! I guess we all have or own needs and wants :)

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1372518966' post='2126737']
[size=4][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1APFyc_QtQ[/media][/size]
[/quote]

You can tell he is not well there, very lethargic...
I have the CD of that video, and the Bass sounds great all the way through, in fact the whole show does.

Garry

Just watched this - absolutely amazing!! Thought the bass sounded fine too(even on my ordinary LG flat screen TV).
Bit of overplaying here and there but WTF? - this was ENTERTAINING, remember what that's all about? Great songs played brilliantly by a superb band, with a great brass section who actually joined in on some of the moves too!!
If I had to criticise Niles' guitar was a bit low in the mix to begin with, but that got sorted after a couple of tunes. Thought the overall sound was excellent, best live performance on TV I've seen for ages.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1372518966' post='2126737']
any TV sound engineers here? i'd like to know how they mix for broadcast. i'm assuming they get the dry stage mix and blend it with the 'sound out front' to create a similar sound to being in the audience? i usually think it would nicer to here a bit more of the stage mix and less of the out-front sound.

the glasto Chic performance to me sounds exactly like being in the audience - i.e. huge kick drum and gigantic frequency filling bass.

[/quote]

IME its all run from 4 way splits on stage so one incoming signal in splits into 1. foh 2. monitors 3. recording 4.broadcast n then they have someone mixing it for broadcast so they're working with the same signal as the foh guys but obviously having to mix it differently cause its being transmitted and played through different speakers

Edited by Chrismanbass

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1372608670' post='2127635']
Just watched this - absolutely amazing!! Thought the bass sounded fine too(even on my ordinary LG flat screen TV).
Bit of overplaying here and there but WTF? - this was ENTERTAINING, remember what that's all about? Great songs played brilliantly by a superb band, with a great brass section who actually joined in on some of the moves too!!
If I had to criticise Niles' guitar was a bit low in the mix to begin with, but that got sorted after a couple of tunes. Thought the overall sound was excellent, best live performance on TV I've seen for ages.
[/quote]

It was much better after they sorted his level out. He was indicating during the first few song for a better mix in the monitors as well. With Chic you need the guitar and bass prominent and then everything else is the icing on the cake.

Edited by mep

Thought it was a thundering bass sound when I listening on headphones !

Don't think he needed to do a Bernard this is the new Chic Corporation after all .

Shows how much Niles contributes , you got to have him up in the mix he just sits on the subtle groove , anyway great band, great songs played stunningly well ! :thank_you:

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1372503551' post='2126499']
Just heard it this morning, on my TV the Bass was pumping through, loads of bottom end, and crisp highs....
He was over playing the up slides and shakes a bit - but hey, it was top live entertainment and fun.
Nile Rodgers was terrific..!!
Great show all round.

Garry
[/quote]

Garry, not for the first time you think along the same lines as me. I just watched it with my better half and said the same thing. He seems to be given free rein in the band and grabs it with both hands

Edited by chardbass

I’m not a Chic fan, and have not seen them live before, but I watched this gig twice over the weekend, and loved it both times. The talent, tunes, groove, and sheer energy absolutely blew me away.

I watched it both times on iPlayer, but on two separate systems (my PC, and my TV), and the sound was really very different on each. I’d suggest anybody thinking the mix or sound was poor to listen on a different system and see if that makes a difference.

On my kit, the PC sound was better (as was the picture actually), but I couldn’t say definitively what the reason for that was. However, on both the bass had a huge fat bottom end, as well as plenty enough top end to be clearly audible in the mix right through the gig.

Alan.