Why become a member? ×

4 string 35" scale....big difference to play?

iconic

There's a Peavey Grind BXP near me for sale, but it's a 35" scale. Always fancied having a go on a Peavey, they seem to get a fair bit of love by those whom have played one.

But, having never tried anything other than 34" are 35" incher's they [i]that[/i] different to play?

I think the only way you'll find out is to try it. There are people here who claim to to unable to deal with a half millimetre change in string spacing at the bridge and others who'll seemingly play almost anything. For me individual specifications don't really matter - it's all about how the whole bass feels. I've stopped worrying about the numbers and just play the bass and then make up my mind.

I have a couple of Grind BXPs, a 5-string and a 6-string, and never found any problem swapping between those and 34" scale basses. The one I do have a slight problem with is my Mazeti fretless, as I have smallish hands and there's a bit of a stretch playing at the lower positions.

It must all be down to the individual instrument so try it. I bought a KSD 5 with 35" scale and had only played 34" up until then. Sold it a week later. Hated it. First fret felt like a mile away. I then bought a Spector Euro LX6 with 35" scale and loved it to bits. Eminently playable. So I guess it depends on the instrument.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1372424243' post='2125590']
It must all be down to the individual instrument so try it. I bought a KSD 5 with 35" scale and had only played 34" up until then. Sold it a week later. Hated it. First fret felt like a mile away. I then bought a Spector Euro LX6 with 35" scale and loved it to bits. Eminently playable. So I guess it depends on the instrument.
[/quote]

Exactly. Don't look at the numbers, play the bass.

It largely depends on where the bridge sits on your body, compared to the same measurement on your current bass. If the bridge on the Peavey sits far out across your body, like a jazz bass, you'll probably not have much of a stretch to reach first position. If it sits across the centre of your body, you might think the neck feel really long. Similarly, if your bass now has skinny strings and you move over to a 35" scale bass with thicker strings you might notice the change in tension.

But it's not really a big deal, so don't let it put you off.

Yup - for instance on my Yamaha BB, the nut feels really close, but on a Peavey T40 or TBird it feels at least an inch further away.

So it should be possible if you look at opposite ends of the spectrum to get a 35" bass that feels no longer than some 34" basses!

It's also has to do with the shape of the bass . Usually the further the top horn of the body extends towards the twelth fret , the closer the first fret will feel to to your left arm . That is why on 34 inch scale basses that are Telecaster - shaped or a T Bird shape , for example , the neck feels further away than on a Fender - style bass . The biggest difference you will find on a conventionally shaped bass like the Peavey is in the tension of the strings i.e they will be significantly more taught .

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1372434675' post='2125764']
I know from experience that 35" scale length doesn't really work for me ...I cant explain the whys and the wherefores, it just feels wrong and I cannot live with it. The only 35" bass that ever felt okay was a Lakland 5 string.
[/quote]

I too cannot stand 35 inch scale . I would be more inclined to go to a shorter scale than 34 inches than a longer one .

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372430384' post='2125699']
Exactly. Don't look at the numbers, play the bass.
[/quote]
Correct, I have nevre really been a numbers guy then I bought a double bass and all this talk of 17mm rather than 17.5mm string spacing, 42mm or 38mm nut widths became a bit of a none issue anyway :)

One of my fretless basses has a 35" scale the other a 34" scale. It made life interesting at first, but I got used to the subtle differences in time with practice. I can now play out of tune on both scale lengths without difficulty.

I think its more to do with the position of the bridge.

If it's right at the end of the body, like a Fender, the neck can be shorter (assuming the joint being at the same place) whereas the bridge on Gibson basses, eg a Grabber, is located at least an inch further away and so the neck is going to stick out further.

A bridge 3 inches from the end and a 34" neck is going to feel like a flag being carried in he Olympic procession whereas a bridge right on the edge of a body and a 35" neck will feel pretty normal.

The Peavey Cirrus bridge is a good 2 inches from the end.