Why become a member? ×

June Composition Competition - Voting Time!!!

charic

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1372259554' post='2123530']
As usual, a high standard again this month. 3 numbers I really liked. Debs, what a cracking first entry, keep it up. Discreet, really enjoyed that one, well done Sir. Skol/Urb, just outstanding for me, a wonderful collaboration. Love it.
[/quote]

Thanks Sam, really appreciate it :D

First up Debs (May I call you Debs?) I really liked your track the fretless playing and your accent were fantastic. As was the spoken word aspect (and tbh the singing was none too shabby aswell).

Steve your track was beautiful.

Skol/Urbs that was such a well put together and produced track. You must have been on the ball trying to get organise the four of you! The beats and bass playing were like :o. I throughly enjoyed it.

Mornats got my vote though because of the use of the film dialogue. I loved it! :D

Everyone else did fantastic, just because I didn't mention you didn't mean I didn't enjoy it :)

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1372236510' post='2123106']I'm very proud of the work we did here and I'm hoping to put together a video for this tune and then begin work on proper recording project with Paul towards the end of August... we'll keep you all posted.[/quote]

Ditto. It's been a helluva month! Busy, hectic, creative, inspiring... great fun. Certainly the start of things to come :)

Thanks again to everyone's very positive comments. It's a huge confidence boost and I am - as always - truly honoured to be a part of this community. Twelve entries this month which is great to see. I'm looking forward to listening thru them myself and picking a favourite.

Salut comrades!

Paul

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1372263739' post='2123602']Skol/Urbs... You must have been on the ball trying to get organise the four of you[/quote]

It was a lot to do in just three weeks - especially fitting everything around work and family life! - but we managed it. It really helped that everyone was 'on the ball' and keen to make a good job of it.

Both vocals were supplied within a couple of days of us getting in touch (I think Donnie even recorded his the same day) and we just 'clicked' as a team - moreso than I'd ever anticipated. We're using this experience as a springboard to start work on more material in the autumn as Mike mentioned. Very exciting.

In the meantime I'm teaming up with Rob (Rockford Stone) for another collaborative project next month - a very different gig, which will be fun. After that it'll be heads down with Mike and co. for more ninja beats and Bruce Lee basslines ;) Plus my usual monthly efforts here. It's good to be busy!

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1372263739' post='2123602']
Mornats got my vote though because of the use of the film dialogue. I loved it! :D
[/quote]

Thanks Myke! :D

Well I've listened to them all now and yes, indeed, what a great selection! Really nice to see (hear?!) some new faces too and I hope everyone has now got the recording bug.

This was a tough one when it came to voting, like a lot of others I had a few favourites. I went for Debs' in the end for a few reasons. I love the bass bit at the beginning, it really sets the tone of the track. The whole concept reminded me of Paul Oakenfold's Urban Soundtracks which I loved listening to whilst doing a 250 mile drive from work to home every week about 10 years ago. Great mix of spoken word and singing I thought. And also, for your first effort, it was bloody good! Well, good for any number of efforts but it's a great début :)

And the others, wow! Not a bad track amongst the whole lot. Some really nice takes on the theme and I guess I've got a fondness of cinematic soundtracks styles so this month's entries really tickled my boat. If that's the right phrase lol!

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1372204938' post='2122985']
Some great entries and hard to pick a winner for me, went for Lurks in the end as I love blues and I thought it suited the pic well. Skol's/Urb's was the usual awesome quality track, loved the production and mix, loved quite a few this month the standard is getting better each month. I got a vote and I think from the comment above it was from MB1 and I can die a happy man to be even mentioned in the same sentence as Barney and J.C.Clarke. Cheers MB1
[/quote]

Cheers Stephen , I really appreciate it , it is brilliant the way a bit of encouragement by way of a vote and a kind word just helps the confidence and keeps you keen for the whole learning process .
I still can't make my mind up yet I'll try again tonight .

Some really excellent stuff here. Shouldn't say what I've voted for but I will say - for me - it was a tough call between discreet's fantastic pumped up trance-come-Tangerine Dream and Steve's beautiful atmospheric six-string work. But honourable mentions for all, really top music from top to bottom of list

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1372263739' post='2123602']
First up Debs (May I call you Debs?) I really liked your track the fretless playing and your accent were fantastic. As was the spoken word aspect (and tbh the singing was none too shabby aswell).

[/quote]

Of course you can call me Debs :D really appreciate the kind comments about my track :D

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1372270696' post='2123712']

This was a tough one when it came to voting, like a lot of others I had a few favourites. I went for Debs' in the end for a few reasons. I love the bass bit at the beginning, it really sets the tone of the track. The whole concept reminded me of Paul Oakenfold's Urban Soundtracks which I loved listening to whilst doing a 250 mile drive from work to home every week about 10 years ago. Great mix of spoken word and singing I thought. And also, for your first effort, it was bloody good! Well, good for any number of efforts but it's a great début :)

[/quote]

Thankyou so much! I just hope I can be as creative in the future. I honestly didn't expect a single vote, I am amazed how well received my track has been. We must have a mutual appreciation though Mornats as you got my vote! :P

Luke's Reviews... (as I listen) faced a dialema... is anything slightly critical allowed? hmm lets just start listening!

Space chick - awesome spoken word stuff going on. Love the singing too. Reminds me of the end of Shorely Wall by Ooberman (one of my fave songs)
Steve - more ambient stuff here - some awesome playing going on, hard to believe it's all on a bass. Lovely parts but only seems to grab me after the 3 min mark.
Mornats- movie clips added to a beat and synths, think primal scream around vanishing point or xtrmtr, death in vegas. bass lovely from about 1.06. great stuff.
Sibob- oooh synthy stuff. no, pedals... that's impressive. great feel and tension. i thought this would be wibble but it's actually great. really great. Most of the others I got to reading the comments after a min or so, this has kept me listening till 4 min in before I noticed how long the song is. Mind you soundcloud seems to want to get me to listen to lana del rey, and while she is better looking i'll stick with this. british sea power's man of aran meets four tet but better.

Stephen H- keys... and glock.... odd vocal pan sweep at about 1.05, I'm hearing "Do let the hater greet blindnees Big L practiced random acts of kindness" it it a song about Big L ? I like the audio clips.

Bilbo- it's loading, expecting atonal jazz rubbish, lets see....oh sound cloud links Bilbo to Linkin Park for me. Oooh a snare and a melody. hmmm.... well it's not atonal jazz rubbish - but a rather nicely crafted set of melodies weaving in and out of each other. annoying snare though, it sounds too perfect timing wise for the rest of the music- I kind wanted to think of it being recorded up a chimney by a really wild fella but it was a bit clinical for me. Appart from that pretty awesome!

Camden Rob- bass in the rain... oooh a live video. lovely tone - I am sat here wondering what gear you're using. Lovely melodies going on, and the bass sounds great. Very very nice playing. Awesome

Lurksalot- iv'e been doing this a while and the wife said i could have a beer so the reviews may go downhill.... flip me a lot of low on that kick drum, ooh the blues, love the guitar at about 0.57 onwards. Great great singing - like a real singer rather than a bass player trying to sing! ( :D )

discreet..... is very loud at the start! ouch thanks for wrecking my ears - i've headphones on that can do bass quite well....that was painful- takes intill 2.06 to get going. Keep expecting some one to shout out King of snake-snake snake.... I liked it once the beat kicked in.

lowdown.... actually tries to capture a south american mountain range feel in a song, plus points. eerie vocals... feels like there's a gap in the mix waiting for a bass.... nice strings coming in at end - very good and the best match of the pic so far imo. oddly it started playing mornats "running" after

bob bass 4k... sounds like a whole band! very mogwai which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending, I love mogwai - we'll see how it goes. Very very nicely programmed drums here. The whole thing sounds very compressed though- it's kinda killing whats going on... overall I like what's trying to go on, but the whole thing sounds so compressed it' lost something.

Skol/urb - so rap. with some awesome drums and.... well you know that really awful bass playing you see on youtube with that awful "jazz bass sound" of nice sounding bass that doesn't do anything.... this isn't it... this is that sound working to make a song... like exceptional - listen to it on your headphones if you're not or you'll miss how tight that bass is with the rest of the song. Rapping is great too. Really this was made for this month? bit of mastering and I wouldn't be able to tell this wasn't some released song I had missed! Love the funk feel in the last wee bit too.

so there you have it..... some great entries... for me.... some of the highlights.... Spacechick's vocals, everything about Sibob, Bilbo's sheer musicianship in that. Camden rob for the confidence to do it all live.... for me a clear winner is Skol's

thanks all for a lovely evening listening!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1372282968' post='2123928']thanks all for a lovely evening listening![/quote]

Thanks Luke! Very kind words from you mate.

The bass playing is all Mike's (urb). As are the lead synths. We worked together on this one and yeah - all done from start to finish in 3 weeks. Plenty of midnight oil burned in the process, but hopefully time well spent.

Thanks for your support. And cheers for commenting on everyone's work. That's what it's all about :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1372282968' post='2123928']
Luke's Reviews... (as I listen) faced a dialema... is anything slightly critical allowed? hmm lets just start listening!

Stephen H- keys... and glock.... odd vocal pan sweep at about 1.05, I'm hearing "Do let the hater greet blindnees Big L practiced random acts of kindness" it it a song about Big L ? I like the audio clips.

[/quote] 'Don't let the hate and greed blind us, rebel practice random acts of kindness' Translation for you there Luke :) your from Leeds and cant get the Wigan accent, thought you would be used to it from when we come to your town and whack you at rugby on a regular basis :D

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1372286077' post='2123973']
Right. I've bloody well voted. Now can I please get back to [size=4]
[/quote]

Yes you can. Thank you. Now sod off... :mellow:

:P

Edit: Strictly joking; sincere thanks for voting, of course...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1372286045' post='2123972']
'Don't let the hate and greed blind us, rebel practice random acts of kindness' Translation for you there Luke :) your from Leeds and cant get the Wigan accent, thought you would be used to it from when we come to your town and whack you at rugby on a regular basis :D
[/quote] :) If you talked in broad scots I'ld understand you! I've only just moved to this part of the world! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBrzEVJwYFg

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1372282968' post='2123928']

Space chick - awesome spoken word stuff going on. Love the singing too. Reminds me of the end of Shorely Wall by Ooberman (one of my fave songs)
Steve - more ambient stuff here - some awesome playing going on, hard to believe it's all on a bass. Lovely parts but only seems to grab me after the 3 min mark.
Mornats- movie clips added to a beat and synths, think primal scream around vanishing point or xtrmtr, death in vegas. bass lovely from about 1.06. great stuff.
Sibob- oooh synthy stuff. no, pedals... that's impressive. great feel and tension. i thought this would be wibble but it's actually great. really great. Most of the others I got to reading the comments after a min or so, this has kept me listening till 4 min in before I noticed how long the song is. Mind you soundcloud seems to want to get me to listen to lana del rey, and while she is better looking i'll stick with this. british sea power's man of aran meets four tet but better.

Bilbo- it's loading, expecting atonal jazz rubbish, lets see....oh sound cloud links Bilbo to Linkin Park for me. Oooh a snare and a melody. hmmm.... well it's not atonal jazz rubbish - but a rather nicely crafted set of melodies weaving in and out of each other. annoying snare though, it sounds too perfect timing wise for the rest of the music- I kind wanted to think of it being recorded up a chimney by a really wild fella but it was a bit clinical for me. Appart from that pretty awesome!

Camden Rob- bass in the rain... oooh a live video. lovely tone - I am sat here wondering what gear you're using. Lovely melodies going on, and the bass sounds great. Very very nice playing. Awesome

Lurksalot- iv'e been doing this a while and the wife said i could have a beer so the reviews may go downhill.... flip me a lot of low on that kick drum, ooh the blues, love the guitar at about 0.57 onwards. Great great singing - like a real singer rather than a bass player trying to sing! ( :D )

discreet..... is very loud at the start! ouch thanks for wrecking my ears - i've headphones on that can do bass quite well....that was painful- takes intill 2.06 to get going. Keep expecting some one to shout out King of snake-snake snake.... I liked it once the beat kicked in.

lowdown.... actually tries to capture a south american mountain range feel in a song, plus points. eerie vocals... feels like there's a gap in the mix waiting for a bass.... nice strings coming in at end - very good and the best match of the pic so far imo. oddly it started playing mornats "running" after

bob bass 4k... sounds like a whole band! very mogwai which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending, I love mogwai - we'll see how it goes. Very very nicely programmed drums here. The whole thing sounds very compressed though- it's kinda killing whats going on... overall I like what's trying to go on, but the whole thing sounds so compressed it' lost something.

Skol/urb - so rap. with some awesome drums and.... well you know that really awful bass playing you see on youtube with that awful "jazz bass sound" of nice sounding bass that doesn't do anything.... this isn't it... this is that sound working to make a song... like exceptional - listen to it on your headphones if you're not or you'll miss how tight that bass is with the rest of the song. Rapping is great too. Really this was made for this month? bit of mastering and I wouldn't be able to tell this wasn't some released song I had missed! Love the funk feel in the last wee bit too.

so there you have it..... some great entries... for me.... some of the highlights.... Spacechick's vocals, everything about Sibob, Bilbo's sheer musicianship in that. Camden rob for the confidence to do it all live.... for me a clear winner is Skol's

thanks all for a lovely evening listening!
[/quote]

This is fantastic, you've obviously given everything a good listen...

Thanks for the kind words as well. It's always nice to get some feedback.

Gear wise it's just my spector legend into a GK MB-200 and 112 Neo cab. I use a TC Ditto Looper for the live recording of the layers. Just straight into the camera mic at the moment but I'm working on something that sounds a bit better. Although I kinda like the video thing... I like to show my stuff is 'live' so to speak.

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372319580' post='2124120']
This is fantastic, you've obviously given everything a good listen...

Thanks for the kind words as well. It's always nice to get some feedback.

Gear wise it's just my spector legend into a GK MB-200 and 112 Neo cab. I use a TC Ditto Looper for the live recording of the layers. Just straight into the camera mic at the moment but I'm working on something that sounds a bit better. Although I kinda like the video thing... I like to show my stuff is 'live' so to speak.

Rob
[/quote]

You could record into a DAW and still record the video with your camera. That's what I do for covers and stuff.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372324138' post='2124211']
You could record into a DAW and still record the video with your camera. That's what I do for covers and stuff.
[/quote]

Yeah I've been looking at doing something like that. I must read up on how to do it all, I'm just being lazy really.

I'm so out of touch, when I used to record in bands everyone just went to the local studio and someone did it for you on an enormous and confusing looking desk with racks and racks of outboard gear.

These days one man and a PC seem to be able to produce top quality recordings. Skol's stuff on here is amazing quality, you'd have had to spend hours and serious money in a commercial studio for that when I used to record regularly.

Anyway I'm making myself sound much older that I am... back in the day... etc etc

Rob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372326739' post='2124261']These days one man and a PC seem to be able to produce top quality recordings. Skol's stuff on here is amazing quality, you'd have had to spend hours and serious money in a commercial studio for that when I used to record regularly.[/quote]

Thanks Rob! Trust me, it still takes hours (and in most cases days) to produce music 'in the box' using a computer. There's no magic involved... just graft ;) But of course it can be done these days without having to re-mortage your house to pay for racks of outboard gear.

I've plugged this book many times before, but for anyone interested this is [i]the[/i] most useful resource I've found for home music-making:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mixing-Secrets-Small-Studio-Senior/dp/0240815807