Why become a member? ×

June Composition Competition - Voting Time!!!

charic

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1372679892' post='2128396']
What's the picture then ?

Looks like an opening shot for a 70's Disco theme. Hand bags, flares, stack boots, Durex machines and top floor exclusive clubs.................... :D
[size=4]Break out the Strats !![/size]

[/quote]

I thought this 'big city' pic would get the creative juices flowing... myriad directions and musical styles possible - this month could be even more varied than usual

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372687302' post='2128549']I've got a few ideas for this one. I'll wait until you are well into your own compositions before I reveal anything though :)[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Oh, come on. I bet it's screamo funk-thrash nu-folk retro post-rock. I'm right, aren't I? Eh? Eh? [/size] :crazy:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1372690689' post='2128626']
I know it's not Neath, I don't think we have over a two story building, and we've only just got electricity in Wales :P
[/quote]

I've never had the pleasure of visiting Neath. I understand it's still horse and cart over those parts though?

I have however visited Hull many times throughout my youth... I still shudder now thinking about it...

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372692039' post='2128654']
I've never had the pleasure of visiting Neath. I understand it's still horse and cart over those parts though?

I have however visited Hull many times throughout my youth... I still shudder now thinking about it...

Rob
[/quote]

Holidays from Hull! :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372693309' post='2128680']
I feel like there should be an iron main cover band that sings "Run to the Hull".
[/quote]

I don't think anybody in their right mind would be running TOWARDS Hull...

Anyway I've gone off waffling again on the competition thread haven't I... I'll shut up now. nearly home time!

Rob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372693578' post='2128683']
I don't think anybody in their right mind would be running TOWARDS Hull...

Anyway I've gone off waffling again on the competition thread haven't I... I'll shut up now. nearly home time!

Rob
[/quote]

Can't wait to hear/see? your next entry, Rob! :)

I'm trying to create my own composition this month, but being pretty much limited to midi instruments and also being an absolute beginner at programming midi instruments, and know very little theory other than what's relevant to guitar or bass, this make take a long long time, and still sound absolutely crap. Also, most the midi instruments just sound like a piano that sounds a bit like a bass, or a guitar. They don't actually ever sound like a bass or a guitar.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372693578' post='2128683']I don't think anybody in their right mind would be running TOWARDS Hull...[/quote]

Bat Out of Hull?
Highway to Hull?
Hull Awaits?

...I'll just get me coat.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372694240' post='2128696']I'm trying to create my own composition this month... [/quote]

Go for it Milty! Just remember that "once you pop, you can't stop". It's very addictive :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372694240' post='2128696']

I'm trying to create my own composition this month, but being pretty much limited to midi instruments and also being an absolute beginner at programming midi instruments, and know very little theory other than what's relevant to guitar or bass, this make take a long long time, and still sound absolutely crap. Also, most the midi instruments just sound like a piano that sounds a bit like a bass, or a guitar. They don't actually ever sound like a bass or a guitar.
[/quote]

All theory is relevant to guitar or bass...

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1372697709' post='2128757']
All theory is relevant to guitar or bass...
[/quote]

Of course, but what I mean is, I don't really know how to form chords on a Piano, or how to arrange things best, or the dynamics that other instruments are capable of. I'm really a massive novice in all respects.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372697801' post='2128759']Of course, but what I mean is, I don't really know how to form chords on a Piano, or how to arrange things best, or the dynamics that other instruments are capable of. I'm really a massive novice in all respects.[/quote]

That's a definite advantage. :) Just do it. If it sounds good, it [i]is[/i] good.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372694240' post='2128696']

[/quote]

I've started to cook something up tonight... I may even record it properly :o

I see Bilbo has already responded... and he is of course correct. Theory is theory :) I would imagine the main advantage of midi is that you can compose an excellent horn section without a single puffed out cheek in sight...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1372694781' post='2128710']
Bat Out of Hull?
Highway to Hull?
Hull Awaits?

...I'll just get me coat.

[/quote]

Those are a superb effort, on a similar note. The day you don't win this competition Hull will freeze over....

Rob

Congrats SKol , Urb and collective superb effort once again , and top stuff from everyone else aswell , I got 5 votes which is as many as I have in the previous months added up , so I am well chuffed. thanks to those who took the time to vote and special thanks to those that sent them my way :D
The new photo throws up loads of ideas , I am thinking maybe a Sinatra style slow swing number , based on a US east coast location with a name that could be repeated each time it was said ,......

It's up to you Plymouth, Plymouth ,.............. That could work

Time for some head scratching methinks :gas:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1372707687' post='2128972']I have a really interesting concept for this piece, it's just finding the time :([size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]You want to wake up in that city that never sleeps.[/size]

Edited by discreet