Why become a member? ×

June Composition Competition - Voting Time!!!

charic

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372413619' post='2125399']
Thanks mate, your always very positive with your comments / criticisms and I do appreciate them.

I'm definitely not a technical wizard as the occasional fretbuzz and misplaced 3rd will attest to...

I only baked a cake once in recent memory (and by recent I mean about 12 years ago) I had a girl coming round I was trying to impress with my baking skills... (dunno why I thought that would be relevent...) I made what can only be described as a jammy biscuit :blink: ... it turns out there are two types of flour, one rises, one doesn't...

Rob
[/quote]

I didn't mean the "technical wizard" as a negative comment. I meant it in the way that you aren't just showing off how technical you can play. I like most of your songs, and think they are great! And I would like to use a couple of your tracks as background music if you ever get around to making a proper recording, and don't mind me using them. :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372415278' post='2125434']
I didn't mean the "technical wizard" as a negative comment. I meant it in the way that you aren't just showing off how technical you can play. I like most of your songs, and think they are great! And I would like to use a couple of your tracks as background music if you ever get around to making a proper recording, and don't mind me using them. :D
[/quote]

You'd be amazed how often I get asked by friends / the missus "why don't you upload a video of your slap bass stuff / cross handed tapping ect" To be honest I've no interest in stuff like that. I'd rather write something that sounds good (which is subjective obviously) I may do some slap stuff in the future but only if it sounds musical.

You can do whatever you like with them if I ever do get them laid down properly... The audio only of my current clips has tons of pedal clicks / me wheezing ect. so best not use those :blink:

Rob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372416639' post='2125460']
You'd be amazed how often I get asked by friends / the missus "why don't you upload a video of your slap bass stuff / cross handed tapping ect" To be honest I've no interest in stuff like that. I'd rather write something that sounds good (which is subjective obviously) I may do some slap stuff in the future but only if it sounds musical.

You can do whatever you like with them if I ever do get them laid down properly... The audio only of my current clips has tons of pedal clicks / me wheezing ect. so best not use those :blink:

Rob
[/quote]

The pedal stomps are the only thing that would stop me using them! The good thing about recording properly is that you wouldn't even need a looper, just record several tracks and layer it up in you DAW.

I would imagine you are very good at slap and tapping and all that stuff, but I agree, it's pretty useless musically. I find a lot of things are just a way of showing off. Playing an instrument isn't for showing off, it's to create music, and when you start putting technicality above musicality, I don't think you can call yourself a musician anymore. Obviously though, there are times when these things are musical and sound good, and I would be lying if I said I didn't like any song with those things in them, because I like plenty of them.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1372416883' post='2125466']
Playing an instrument isn't for showing off, it's to create music, and when you start putting technicality above musicality, I don't think you can call yourself a musician anymore. Obviously though, there are times when these things are musical and sound good, and I would be lying if I said I didn't like any song with those things in them, because I like plenty of them.
[/quote]

This is pretty much my entire philosophy, I couldn't agree more.

Obviously the higher your level of technical skill the more tools you have at your disposal for creating music. However I still beleive that with a very basic level of technical skill and a solid understanding of chords, scales, modes ect you can create something very musical.

Anyway I digress. This is maybe not the thread for this kind of thing.

Rob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1372417295' post='2125477']
This is pretty much my entire philosophy, I couldn't agree more.

Obviously the higher your level of technical skill the more tools you have at your disposal for creating music. However I still beleive that with a very basic level of technical skill and a solid understanding of chords, scales, modes ect you can create something very musical.

Anyway I digress. This is maybe not the thread for this kind of thing.

Rob
[/quote]

I very much agree. I'm by no means in any way a great or even good musician, in terms of technical ability, but it doesn't stop me from creating music.

A nice bunch of interesting and diverse stuff this month.
Some hit the picture theme really well, some are close and a couple off to the left a bit. [IMO of course]
None the less, still a good crop of material and I listened to them all a couple of times each.
Great work, and well done all round folks.

Bilbo's I like, but it could do with some humanising, articulations, to bring it to life.
It sounds a bit like it's all written in Notation [and nothing wrong with that - It's a technique that is used a lot]
But it is bang on the grid - PRV is your best friend for this, you can pencil in the mod #cc's for the string swells
and vib etc, along with PP's & FF'S etc, but like you said above, it's very much a time thing. Like the melodies.

Urb/Skol's track, I like very, very much, and a great team input all round [Vocals, Bass, Production are all great]
but it don't seem to sit with the picture for me.

Steve's track, I thought could do with something towards the end, just to give it a slight lift,
maybe some kind of light Ethnic Percussion - but that is just my taste.
Lovely melody and harmonic changes, very musical, and eerie in places, a feeling of openness and calmness,
a proper ending, a closure :D[size=4]and hits the picture spot on and sets a great scene.[/size]
Steve gets my vote.

So Steve will you marry me then ? .......
I kept my side of the bargain. :lol:

Again - just my take on it all.

[size=4]Garry[/size]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1372428558' post='2125669']Urb/Skol's track, I like very, very much, and a great team input all round [Vocals, Bass, Production are all great]
but it don't seem to sit with the picture for me.[/quote]

Thanks Garry! That's very positive feedback mate.

I take your point about it not fitting the image as well as other entries. That's perhaps the only aspect of the collaboration that was difficult to coordinate within the timeframe we had. It was Rebecca (the singer) who interpreted the picture and hit upon the [i]"watching a world pass by"[/i] idea, so it was more of a lyrical link that an instrumental one. Other people here hit upon the "eerie ambience" of the picture much better, yourself included :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1372428728' post='2125673']
the only aspect of the collaboration that was difficult to coordinate within the timeframe we had.
[/quote]

That's always the problem, different interpretations, but saying that, for the music side of your collaboration, it worked [very well]
Good stuff.

Garry

I like the idea of critiquing other peoples tunes, I might jump in myself next month if I get the time. Having said that I try to leave comments on the souncloud track if inspired to come up with something a bit more helpful than "nice" which I overuse.

And Garry, yes.... I'd be honoured :blush:

erm, I [i]do [/i]get to wear the trousers tho' don't I?? :o :lol:

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1372430369' post='2125698']
[size=4]erm, I [/size][i]do [/i][size=4]get to wear the trousers tho' don't I?? [/size] :o[size=4] [/size] :lol:
[/quote]

Oh dear,,,,There you have it, we are up sh*t strasse before we have even started..... :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Garry[/size]

Thanks Skol for the feedback , much appreciated , I too barely watch tv any more and try to get a couple of hours music/ practice / production in most nights but I do go out a couple of nights a week , in fact I am at the pub now, well , at Alton towers hotel while mrs lurks and the girls are doing stuff in the sleepover room , so no lappy tonight

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1372358387' post='2124866']
There deffo should be a sticky at the top of every sub-forum to increase visibility to it.
[/quote]

Absolutely agree with this. I'm new to this site and still finding tons of decent reads, and only came across this thanks to Dads inspired title in chat :D (genius)

Tough voting for just one - wasnt expecting such a high standard!!
Very impressed by all, especially in the timescales!

Highlights for me were
Skol - you must have been really busy! Awesome track - had a Roni Size kinda feel to me, great everything and well put together
Space Chick - loved the story (and the spoken word altho I got a soft spot for the accent : ;) ) and if thats your 1st attempt I look forward hearing more - you've set yourself a high standard to follow!
Discreet - Also loved this , hint of Leftfield's Phat Planet and who doesnt like that!?

Thanks all for sharing

Edited by Dazed

Managed to vote before the end of the comp for once (am sitting in the remains of my studio, chucking cables in boxes, and wishing I could be recording my own entry again this month, still....)
Had to go for Mark's for it was ace. :)

Also, why are so many people being nice to Charic? ;)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1372517381' post='2126707']Had to go for Mark's for it was ace. :)[size=4][/quote][/size]
[color=#212121][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Ich liebe dich. [/size][/font][/color] :blush:[color=#212121][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] And... your cheque is in the post. Usual amount OK?[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1372507825' post='2126562']

Space Chick - loved the story (and the spoken word altho I got a soft spot for the accent : ;) ) and if thats your 1st attempt I look forward hearing more - you've set yourself a high standard to follow!

[/quote]

I'm actually amazed how well my track has gone down... I wasn't expecting a single vote, yet I have 10!!!.....I am guessing I've done well this month and will never ever get another vote ever again :lol:

I'm actually terrified about composing anything else..... It'll be like my GCSE music composition over again..... My teacher loved my first composition and was bored by the rest (although I was going through a baroque waltz phase, only so many 3/4 time signatures that one can cope with I guess) ;)

Thanks for the kind comments.

[quote name='ThePapabull' timestamp='1372524575' post='2126837']
how do make an entry?

i'm probably being dull... if so sorry. the papabull
[/quote]

You'll need to wait until July now, then a new picture will be posted.

You then need to compose something inspired by that photo, then upload it to the Internet (most use soundcloud)