Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass opinions please

Buzzy

Any one got any opinions/advice on Electro/Acoustic bases. I've been offered the gig in an acoustic band, so if I go for it I need to get something that will sound ok fed through the P.A rather than have to buy another amp. Not sure how much I need to pay for something half decent as I don't want to break the bank in case the band doesn't get beyond the rehearsal stage.

Sigma - very similar to Martin, but a lot cheaper. Also get a decent DI (Orchid Electronics, with a mute footswitch). Do a search on acoustic strings here - the bronze rounds that most basses ship with are horrible and there are other options. Don't worry about being very quiet as you will always have to plug in, unless you are playing alone.

I used to have a Takamine EG512C. I put some TI Flats on it and it sounded lovely. Almost like a double bass on times. Was hesitant about using it live due to fears of feedback, but didn't get any. Great bass for noodling at home on aswell.

Unless you have to have an "acoustic" bass for the image or you are happy to spend a lot of money (£1000+), you are far better off getting a good DI box for the electric bass you normally use. IMO cheap electro acoustic basses sound poor and feed back all too easily.

Acoustic basses, unless played through some kind of amplification, in general will not compete with acoustic guitars. So as BigRedX says, unless needed for the image, sort a decent DI with the money instead.

Thanks for the replies so far,it's definitley not about image the guys in the band are adamant that they want an acoustic bass. The line up is going to be two acoustic guitars or one guitar and a mandolin, minimal drums (played with brushes) vocals and acoustic bass. I have an Ashdown Perfect ten for home use which I suggested but they seem pretty insistant that everything goes through the P.A.
I thought there might be a problem competing with two guitars and vocal through the P.A. thats why I thought about my practice amp. I like the idea of putting my Precision through a D.I box as it's already strung with flats. Any suggestion for a D.I. box?

Hi I have a Washburn AB35 fretless 5 string electro acoustic bass which has an xlr out so that it can be put straight into the PA. I recently had it setup and I think it sounds amazing amplified. The guys are right there is no way an acoustic bass is loud enough without some kind of amplification. But I definitely think there is certain vibe that an acoustic bass has.

My bass is currently for sale but I'm actually thinking of just holding on to it as it's great and I don't have another fiver..... oh and no-one wants to buy it ;)

Edited by steviedee

As previously stated...

Too quiet acoustically
Too prone to feedback when amplified
Certainly not better than anything else you might use instead (fretless electric, upright, P with flats)
Cumbersome
Unwieldy to play
Delicate
A pain to get a decent case for..

All of which contributed to my Ovation being sold...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1370858146' post='2106259']
As previously stated...

Too quiet acoustically
Too prone to feedback when amplified
Certainly not better than anything else you might use instead (fretless electric, upright, P with flats)
Cumbersome
Unwieldy to play
Delicate
A pain to get a decent case for..

All of which contributed to my Ovation being sold...
[/quote]

+1 to all this. I bought an Ibanez AEB8 electroacoustic a few months back, and while it was nice to play it was also completely pointless due to points raised above.

Additionally, it was much harder to play the solo to high ho silver lining behind my head with the acoustic then on my Jazz bass. :yarr:

I'm always a little suspicious of bandmates telling the bassist exactly what gear to use... I remember a gem of an ad on London Gumtree a while back requesting a bassist using an 8x10 or 2x15, no small amps, 'markbass generation need not apply'... :rolleyes:

I've owned three and sold three. Tells its own story really. Won't be buying another one. If someone's getting all precious about the acoustic thing then (if I even wanted to proceed) I would offer the "compromise" of the Epiphone Jack Casady. It's got F holes, and that's about as "acoustic" as you're going to get from me.

i dont get this " waste of time " standpoint , you could say the same for pointy basses , Erbs , or any fretted bass made after the 51 precision ...

I have one that i picked up in the Ad's here they're , great for home noodling , open mics and informal acoustic sessions ( yes you need an amp , but a small practice amp usually suffices) .

My one has a very versatile pre-amp with direct out too so I just run a small amp for a monitor and go straight in to the desk. and i do find that i play differently (both basslines and technique) on it , as opposed to my electric basses .

i think they're a good tool to have in your bag if you have your fingers in a few different musical pies so to speak and bargains often come up in the for sale ad's here !

[quote name='sticker' timestamp='1370861863' post='2106354']
i dont get this " waste of time " standpoint , you could say the same for pointy basses , Erbs , or any fretted bass made after the 51 precision ...
[/quote]
"Pointy basses, Erbs, or any fretted bass made after the 51 precision" will all to do what the user wants them to. Whether it's pointy, an extended range instrument, vintage or modern is immaterial as they all operate in the same way - you put them through an amp to hear them.

Unlike an acoustic guitar an acoustic bass is pretty much useless when used with other acoustic instruments unless you put it through an amp, at which point you may as well use an electric bass.
An acoustic instrument that can't be used without an amp apart from when messing about on your own at home is, in my view at least, a complete waste of time.

Nah , still not convinced - they sound different , you play them different , they are their own thing although perhaps the monikker "Acoustic Bass " when used in a direct comparison to an acoustic guitar is a misnoma and Acoustic/Electric is more appropriate...

sorry above is in response to Rhys P

Edited by sticker

[quote name='Buzzy' timestamp='1370780465' post='2105385']
Any one got any opinions/advice on Electro/Acoustic bases. I've been offered the gig in an acoustic band, so if I go for it I need to get something that will sound ok fed through the P.A rather than have to buy another amp. Not sure how much I need to pay for something half decent as I don't want to break the bank in case the band doesn't get beyond the rehearsal stage.
[/quote]
Have a look at this - looks acoustic-y & will be a lot more versatile than an acoustic bass:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/201523-fs-yamaha-bex-4-semi-acoustic-including-hard-case-l250/

Acoustic basses are not a waste of time although many are rather worse than others.

In terms of sound the ideal acoustic bass is an upright bass.

Amongst the acoustic bass guitars there are several that will do the job amplified (which is completely reasonable when even the acoustic guitars are amplified) and without sounding like an electric bass. I use a Takamine B10.

But, in the circumstances described by the OP, using an electric bass preferably fretless and preferably with flats would also look and sound fine.

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1370879710' post='2106787']
*Selling a bass plug*

What about the blendable tones of both acoustic and electric with the playability of an electric?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/201523-fs-yamaha-bex-4-semi-acoustic-including-hard-case-l250/"]http://basschat.co.u...hard-case-l250/[/url]
[/quote]
Already did it for you - see post #17. :)

[quote name='Buzzy' timestamp='1370780465' post='2105385']
[/quote]
[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1370859458' post='2106300']
As others have pointed out, acoustic basses are pretty much a complete waste of time.
[/quote]
Some of my favorite gigs I played was with an acoustic bass. Keep in mind that my gigging bass was an original 1964 Precision. I have a cheap Ozark I've had since I was 16, so that's 19 years. I strung it with flats and used a Rare Earth sound hole pickup because under the saddle ones always have too many pokey mids and a harsh sound for my liking.

I often went into the PA and used an active DI (Sans Amp, not that I'm particularly fond of them so I kept the 'wet' signal low) and the bass sound always fitted nicely into the mix, sounding very acoustic.

That's my two cents and very enjoyable experience story!

Edited by Chiliwailer