Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass opinions please

Buzzy

Just my two cents: I have a Kingman, which is very nice but quiet acoustically. However, the Warwick Alien I've just got is much louder. However, while it might keep up with a quiet acoustic on its own, there's no such instrument other than an Earthwood that could actually do an unamped acoustic gig.
The comment about the Ozark being horrible and middy is true, but times have moved on, and that's far from the norm these days.
Both mine, played clean through headphones and a Tascam Bass Trainer, can sound very good, and different to an electric. That difference will be less through stage amps or PA.
So the only real choice is over the look of the thing. If that's really all it is, then go cheap!

I had a lovely Ibanez whoch i enjoyed playing very much.
Strung with flats it sounded great.
However, apart from what's been said already, the pub i used it at only had forward facing monitors. With acoustic guitar, violin and two vocalists i could never hear myself.
I had to lean forward over the edge of the stage to try and hear.

Playing with an acoustic band I use a Tacoma Thunderchief with Thomastik Phosphorbronze wound on Nyloncore Acoustic Bass strings (AB344). I reckon it sounds pretty 'acoustic' even when amplified. I can certainly get a more appropriate tone out of it than any of my solid basses. The biggest problem, when DI-ing into a PA is that it is very prone to feedback. Need a good engineer - or put it through a good rig, positioned at the side or in front.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1371149959' post='2110620']

The comment about the Ozark being horrible and middy is true, but times have moved on, and that's far from the norm these days.
[/quote]

You're absolutely right, piezo pickups have moved on a lot. However I have never heard one that I actually like, either on a bass or guitar. The reason for this is more a matter of physics as the pickup lies under the string where it is at it's tightest, so they are always creating a style of tone that drives me up the wall!!!

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1371281056' post='2111990']
You're absolutely right, piezo pickups have moved on a lot. However I have never heard one that I actually like, either on a bass or guitar. The reason for this is more a matter of physics as the pickup lies under the string where it is at it's tightest, so they are always creating a style of tone that drives me up the wall!!!
[/quote]

They also generate massive amounts of handling noise. Every time I've been tempted by what looks like a nice "acoustic" bass, 30 seconds of playing through an amp is all I can take before the extraneous noises being picked up and amplified drive me nuts - and that includes some very expensive models from the likes of Shuker and Rob Allen.

My last band was an acoustic band. Singer played guitar or banjo, other was either mandolin, ukulele or whistle, drummer joined us occasionally & I played my electric ibby through some fx.
I used my filter to get a pretty reasonable double bass sound & adding in some dirt during a part of a song can really get things going.

Other option would be to get an EUB with the same scale as your bass.

[quote name='Mr Lizard' timestamp='1370863411' post='2106402']
I have an acoustic bass that I use all the time. Perfect for practicing at home.
[/quote]

Agree with this - I use my Crafter 5 string ABG for all my home practice, and I've used it at a few open mic nights as well. Ok, so I've had to go through a PA occasionally, but it's no big deal. The only thing you really have to have down is your muting technique.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1371282492' post='2111998']

They also generate massive amounts of handling noise. Every time I've been tempted by what looks like a nice "acoustic" bass, 30 seconds of playing through an amp is all I can take before the extraneous noises being picked up and amplified drive me nuts - and that includes some very expensive models from the likes of Shuker and Rob Allen.
[/quote]

I sold both my Stingray 5 fretless and Ovation acoustic.
I bought an NS CR5 Instead. First piezo pick-up I've played that really does the business...

I have an Eko AB4, fretless, which I've had since '81.
TBH I used it for the look on a couple of videos and then for practice at home.
A couple of years ago I fitted it with a K&K transducer from Bob Gollihuhr's
which improved it, I could gig it without a DI.
Now I have a Fishman Platinum Pro Eq and it really has come into its own - sound wise.

OTOH, it is a monster fat boy, the neck is forward of where you'd expect it,
its difficult to find a comfortable playing position.
it cannot compete seriously in a totally acoustic scenario outside of a living room.

Recently, I was specifically asked to play it on a session for its sound,
the studio engineer had his doubts until it was plugged in - directly in
and told me it sounded great...

I have used it live through My Walkabout and Wizzy 12 with success.
Definitely a different sound, not trying to be, it just is...
Whether you NEED it? well....
Nodd

This, for less than £500!

Thin bodied electro acoustic ... [url="http://www.musicjunkie.co.uk/product/Epiphone-Zenith-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-in-Antique-Natural?gclid=CPOo9tfy6rcCFTHJtAodgh8AnA"]http://www.musicjunkie.co.uk/product/Epiphone-Zenith-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-in-Antique-Natural?gclid=CPOo9tfy6rcCFTHJtAodgh8AnA[/url]