Why become a member? ×

PLEASE REMOVE. Thanks everyone.

itsmedunc

Hi, just a bit of advice please. I use a CIJ Fender Precision and I need a spare. Must be cheap, light (glass back) and up to the job. Hopefully it will never leave its stand, so don't really want to spend loads on a bass that will hopefully never be used. I'm looking to spend up to £150. Anybody any experience of Squier? Decent copies? Precision or Jazz type would be ok. Thanks...

Edited by itsmedunc

Squier Precisions are fine. I`ve had both the Affinity, and the Classic Vibe. Both very good. For a backup instrument, to get you by, the Affinity would be fine. If you needed it, just knock some top off the eq, and add a bit more lows. If you could get a Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified 2nd hand around your budget I`d snap it up.

Interesting question and I'm also interested in the answers being in a similar place coincidentally with a Japan P bass.
I'm looking for a used SR300 which people seem to rate (especially our Space Chick). There must be some right dodgy stuff in that price bracket, but hopefully the odd gem.

I guess weight will be the biggest issue, but if you're already playing a P-bass then perhaps it won't be so much. :)

As others have said, the Squier's are the ones to be looking out for. The lightest bass in that price range is probably going to be an Ibanez SR. Or if you can find one, a Yamaha BB will always stump the competition for the silly prices they seem to be going for.

Hi, thanks for the replies, I had been looking towards Squier but interestingly enough a friend of mine has a Vintage Musicman copy. I heard it through an old Peavey 115 and it sounded great, so I think I will investigate the V4 further. I just sold an Ibanez SR, it was nice and light but it seemed to have more of a metal sound. Its a traditional P bass sound that I'm after. I have some Fender CIJ pickups that I could always try in a spare when I get one too.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1369920172' post='2094464']
I'm looking for a used SR300 which people seem to rate (especially our Space Chick).
[/quote]

Yep, I do indeed rate them very highly. Fabulous basses! I have my 4 string with maple neck, 5 string and tomorrow I should be receiving my 4 string that Wunjos de-fretted for me :D

So, I would recommend a second hand Ibanez SR 300 without question.

If you want to go the vintage route, keep an eye open for a tony butler p. it's an awesome bass for the money (299ish new), so a second hand one should fall close to your budget.
There are some wonderful jap basses from the 80's available within your budget that sound gorgeous. Anything from matsumoku is normally worth a punt.
I've had some really great results using Westfield basses and upgrading the pick up. My favourite one cost me a total of less than £100 and gets compliments whenever I use it :)

Edited by dudewheresmybass

Big fan of the Vintage V4 here. Inexpensive and easily good enough to be someones main gigging bass never mind back up.
(Yes I've got one, picked it up in a trade with a fellow BCer. Not heavy for a P either. Love it.)

Edited by miles'tone

As to Squiers, AFAIK the Affinity must be checked hands on before purchase.
My local shop had a few I absolutely did not want to buy due to loose fit and other issues.

The Squier Classic Vibe series OTOH is said to be riskless.
I've got three of them. Two were perfect in every respect, and one just had a slight rattle from one of the intonation adjusters on the bridge - which is a detail.

I've read slightly different reports on the Squier Vintage Modified series. Though they're highly regarded, some say they must be checked hands on.

Yamaha BB, no matter what number it's equipped with, is a great playing classic with a great sound. Don't have one yet, but will buy gazillions of them once I grow up and become rich.

Don't know the Vintage brand basses.

Good luck!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='superclive' timestamp='1369933673' post='2094673']
If you are after a cheap p-bass. Usually loads of Westone thunder 1s on eBay. From the matsumoko factory and you can usually pick one up for around £100.

Very good basses for the money.
[/quote]

Great basses, but maybe a tad heavy for a bad back.

+1 for squier - i have an affinity J and its the nuts and i gig it equally alonside a TRB - i recently checked out the exact same iaffinity J's in a couple of shops in west end and the 2102/13 squier affinitys are imho not quite as well finished as earlier ones - from serial number mine is 2009 - if you see one up on the boards 2009 and earlier is well worht the punt - newer ones id reiterate mr tractors comment and make sure you try before you buy

I have a '93 MIJ Squier 'Silver Series' P. Bass which weighs around 8.5lbs and the tone is more woody and P-Bass sounding than any other P-Bass I have played! It also has a relatively narrow neck at 40mm. Straight out of the case, it is the nicest P-Bass I have had - no need to mod, though I have put a high mass bridge on it as I find the BBOT uncomfortable. Something going on in those Silver Series pickups that is rather nice. And they usually change hands for around £200 +/-