Why become a member? ×

Best All Rounder?

bassatnight

One of the young uns I teach Bass to is doing very well and his father has agreed he can upgrade his current bass, he has a bottom of the range Squier P.

The son wants a Full blown Ray but his father is a little more realistic with costs, as at 14, he may just give it up in a year or two so his budget is £450/500. He asked me what I though and I gave it a little thought before recommending either a G&L or possibly a SUB

I have said I will have a lookout for something that may suit - any thoughts?

Musicman Sterling Ray?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/204933-fstrades-considered-musicman-sterling-ray-34-natural-mint-cond-price-drop-l425/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/204933-fstrades-considered-musicman-sterling-ray-34-natural-mint-cond-price-drop-l425/[/url]

ACG for £550?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207088-for-sale-acg-finn-4-graft/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207088-for-sale-acg-finn-4-graft/[/url]

+1 to Charic for the Sterling by Musicman recommendation. I had one of these, along with an actual Stingray, and there really wasn`t a lot in them, in fact only the feel of the worn neck on the 98 Ray, as oppose to the new neck of the SBMM. Other than that, difficult to tell apart.

SBMM stuff is very good no doubt, also if your man doesn't want to spend to much money, but wants a great bass try looking at some of the stuff by Vintage and the Bass collection gear from the bass centre, they both offer great "bang for the buck" as my Americans friends say.

G&L L2000 is a good option, he can get a used one on here under-budget which will please his dad and it does a whole range of tones (very useful when you're still finding your style / sound) including a convincing (IMO) Stingray tone

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1368188081' post='2074223']
G&L L2000 is a good option, he can get a used one on here under-budget which will please his dad and it does a whole range of tones
[/quote]

+1 for the G&L L2000. These are one of the most versatile basses tone wise. The Tributes come with only one neck size (1.75" at the nut and 12" radius). These can be a bit chunky for some, but as he has being using a Squier P, he should be OK.

Other G&L's worth considering would be the SB2. This is G&L's version of the precision, which has a jazz width neck. The final option is the G&L JB2, their jazz bass.

They are all well made and great value.

Sandberg Basic?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206371-sandberg-basic-4m-natural-l500-collected/page__p__2064781__hl__sandberg%20basic__fromsearch__1#entry2064781"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206371-sandberg-basic-4m-natural-l500-collected/page__p__2064781__hl__sandberg%20basic__fromsearch__1#entry2064781[/url]

(no affiliation, just has a MM pick-up, is within the price range, and is a well-made instrument).

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1368180013' post='2074081']
If he wants a Ray tell him to go for a decent used one. Plain black tends to sell for the least amount and they pop up at £600 -£650. Not much over budget and won't lose value :)
[/quote]

+1 on this . A decent used USA - made bass like an EBMM 'Ray or an Am. St. Fender bought for sensible money will be a pro - quality bass that you can always get all or most of your cash back out of if you look after it .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1368189272' post='2074246']
+1 on this . A decent used USA - made bass like an EBMM 'Ray or an Am. St. Fender bought for sensible money will be a pro - quality bass that you can always get all or most of your cash back out of if you look after it .
[/quote]

+2 on this one, but get his dad to say it's only on the condition that he gets a band together and does his first gig somewhere. Added incentives!

Used Stingray. When I was 13 I wanted a Ray. I got a rubbish copy, but it looked half decent, (awful tone).

I still wanted one, then eventually at 18 I landed a job at Virgin Records before I went to Uni, so in my year out I bought a new Stingray.

Never looked back to be honest, and I'm 32 now. Still my overall favourite bass guitar.

Yes, they are sometimes quite low in price on here, and yes, there are a lot of them. However the very fact you cannot buy a new one for under £1400-1600 (for a new stock, single H, with hardcase, plain headstock) shows that they have recently given them a fairly hefty price increase.

Over the years, this will reflect in second hand values. I certainly wouldn't ever sell a mint condition Ray 4 H for under £790 ish. In fact, 2 years back I sold a 10 year old natural Ray H for £850.

Depends on the neck size of the Squier. The necks on G&Ls are chunky, but if he can get on with that, an L2500 tribute easily trumps a Musicman in terms of versatility. Although the Musicman arguably sounds great in almost all genres of music so it really comes down to what he wants. :)

Something out of left field here, what about a mim fender jazz? Could easily
Get a nice one for under £300, and put some better pickups in and you are away! Your original post said best all rounder, and IMHO a jazz is it. you won't get it to sound like a ray, but it's hard to get a ray to sound like anything other than a ray (ducking for cover) as they have a distinct sound, not that that's a bad thing! Just my 2 cents

I would go with those who recommended a G&L L2000 but I would add to the list the MIM Fender classic series - either a jazz or precision.

Bought used of course.

Great instruments and not expensive to buy used, but will hold their value and give years of service.

Frank.

Cheers chaps, the lad in question is now the very happy owner of a 1994 Stingray, he even managed to get it in a black/maple finish. I went with him to try it out and apart form a decent set-up requirement it was fine. £550 sealed the deal.

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1368441477' post='2076987'] the lad in question is now the very happy owner of a 1994 Stingray. £550 sealed the deal.[/quote]

Great price for a great bass that will certainly (at least) hold its value!

Maybe not what I would call a real "all rounder" though... but we could argue about that till the high horses come home! ;)

Yamaha BB424.

Can be had for just over £200 second hand and really are tremendous instruments. Cracking build quality, slim necks, they look awesome (especially the x versions) and the PJ pups both sound as they should. Plenty of meat from the P, loads of burp from the J.

There's my 2 pen'orth!

Truckstop