Why become a member? ×

Oof! NBD - Gibson EB 2013

Gust0o

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1369044678' post='2084118']
Musicroom, York. Used to be Banks.

Matt behind the counter is a BC'er, just struggling to remember his username.
[/quote]

Did he remember to give you your mod discount? :lol:

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1366648459' post='2055452']
The more I look at it the more I like it!
[/quote]

Agree with that. There's still a few things I'm not too keen on, such as the bridge (although I don't know what would be a more suitable replacement) and the pickup styling as I think they look a little out of place with what's otherwise a really nice looking new design. I think I'd like the pots to follow the shape of the body/pickguard a little more, and the pickups should definitely be in chrome casing with a black surround. If it had elephant ear tuners as well instead of the sealed type then it wouldn't look out of place with some of the 70s Gibson basses.

• 7 months later...

I finally got to play on one of these today, and I was very impressed. Really liked the neck, over all it was very comfortable and looks great. It sounded great through the SVT I was going through, with lots of options with the coil-tap and that.
Now I'm all in a bad mood because I want to buy it but just can't with having a new Coronado and my TBird build on the way. Curses! I wish I'd hated the bloody thing!

I'm surprised I've not heard more about these on the forum, I think for the price they are well worth a punt.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1388519740' post='2323085']
I`d have a white one with either a black or tort guard, not so sure about the cream finish, look nice though, i do like a pair of buckers ;)
[/quote]

They look much nicer in reality than on the pics - I`ve not played one, but saw one in a music shop and really liked the look whereas on pics it doesn`t look great.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1369167619' post='2085820']
I never go in Banks', although last time I did they had two of the Antigua reissues in which was surprising.

I like the look of that bass, very surf-friendly.
[/quote]

Ah that's a shame! It'd be nice to have more bass players coming in for a chat, even if you don't fancy buying anything :-) (I do try and get as much stuff in that's interesting with my limited influence! Allen Woody rumblekat, Gibson EB13, Gibson SG Bass, Jack Casady, Nate Mendel precision, Antigua precision, Fender Lacquer classic 60s Jazz bass and Ibanez SR1200 have been a few of the cheeky highlights this year!)

I am pushing VERY, VERY hard to get some Aguilar gear in but whether it materialises is out of my hands!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1389705108' post='2337026']
Is there anyone with a Thunderbird and an EB, who can compare the sound of both (EB in HB mode)?
[/quote]

+1 The more I see of the bullion gold model, the more I want one!!! If it can out-Thunderbird a Thunderbird I'm having one, with chips and a LARGE coke!!!

• 1 month later...

I succumbed. The new 2014 models had finishes I preferred, got rid of the (IMO) gaudy tort pickguard for traditional 5 ply black and moved the jack off the pickguard to the body. Had seen it looking pretty fly in a few YouTube vids and some people getting distinctly "modern" sounds out of one. So I went for a Bullion Gold one (because if I'm going to lurk at the back of the band, I want a shiny bass ;) ).

Opened the box, nice case. Opened the case and felt a bit underwhelmed. As you probably already know, Gibson are not filling the grain of these basses, and unfortunately my bit of ash was quite featured. Also the pickguard was a bit poorly cut - about 2mm too big in two directions around the neck pickup, so much so that you can see body gold in the hole. Not sure how this can be achieved in this day and age of CNC manufacture. If I had made that pickguard, I'd have thrown it in the bin and started again. Oh well.

Anyway, I had to leave for a band rehearsal in an hour so I had a quick plug into the amp to check it was at least functional. No wiring oopsies, all settings worked, no hums or buzzes, so that's a leap forward from my Grabber 3 70's Tribute experience.

Played it at the rehearsal, no time for a setup, just straight out of the case, tune up, go. What a great sound! Bark AND bite? This dog will have postal workers running for their lives. The coil taps make a noticeable difference to the tone, but don't sound weedy. The ergonomics are good, neck is a good inbetweeny profile, and it's satin smooth with no grabby feeling. I had so much fun playing the bass that I forgot all my initial cosmetic doubts. Also, it looks fine from a distance, as this quick phone shot from the rehearsal will show:

[url="https://www.facebook.com/TheInevitableTeaspoons/photos/a.735767989769886.1073741828.614595371887149/813105655369452/?type=1&theater"]https://www.facebook...?type=1[/url]

Haven't played with the bridge yet, so will reserve judgement on it, but it's not a three pointer so yay for that. Tuners seem to have changed from Grover to Gotoh GB7 - doesn't bother me, they're a known quantity. I'm glad they continued to use small buttons - I think elephant ears would make this bass look like the kid with big ears who everyone took the mick out of at school. Also a direct fit for a Hipshot Xtender if that's your thing.

EB vs. Thunderbird? I can't directly comment - the closest thing I have to a T-bird is my IV (mahogany body and neck, ebony board, set neck, TB+ pickups). The EB has a hotter output. The EB is brighter, but without losing any of that mid growl that makes the IV the simplest, drop into any situation bass that I own. The EB has a certain "authority" to it - it has no problem making itself heard.

I recorded the session with a Zoom H2N (you can see it sitting on that 4x10 in the background). The EB is being played through the RedSub 1x10 combo you see in the foreground. No trickery apart from normalising and a smidge of compression to even it out a little. Here's a snippet:

[media]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/269680868/Boy_snippet.mp3[/media]

So all in all, am I happy with the EB? Yes. Despite my initial misgivings about the finish and the pickguard, playing it was such a joy that I forgot all about it. Sending it back because of the pickguard would probably cost more than a sheet of pickguard material and if I'm that bothered about it, I'll make a replacement some day. But I think I'd have to be really bored.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1393014691' post='2375378']
Any idea what the difference is between the 2013 version and the 2014 version apart from the Gibson anniversary logo at the 12th fret??
[/quote]

Changed jack position from the front to the side.

And colours, I think.

Edited by Billy Apple