Why become a member? ×

Oof! NBD - Gibson EB 2013

Gust0o

Well, after a month or more of prevarication - which Matt will no doubt attest to - yesterday I finally decided to treat myself to one of the new Gibson EB 2013 basses.

Trying the bass out in the shop, it felt like a good mix of plenty of other basses - the twin humbuckers of the Thunderbird; when tapped, much more akin to the Grabber, or a particularly grizzled jazz; nice maple neck; light ash body; stunning grain under sunburst nitro... and, finally, a sensible bridge.

It was good price as far as Gibson's go (£749) - and you get a Gibson hardcase thrown in, which is very nice.

I took it along to rehearsal today, to give it a go at some real volumes and was[b] very[/b] impressed.

The bass is light overall, but a good size. It feels robust without offering the dead weight of the Les Pauls. My rehearsal rig is a 100W Hiwatt combo and I was just using my Sansamp VT for some punch and a little drive. Bass was good, both clean and with the pedal - pick-ups were hotter than I thought, and sounded hotter than the comparable Thunderbird pick-ups.

The ability to coil-tap offered some nice flexibility, and some good combinations. Naturally, it nails the kind of rock tone you might expect from a Gibson, but has a few more tricks up it's sleaves - though I doubt it's going to have Pino fans flocking to it. I'm a rock player, so I knew what I wanted and I got it; those with more refinded tastes may wish to make their own minds up :lol:

The Babicz bridge is a massive improvement over the three-point. It feels solid, and the bass real sings - it sustains plenty, though I do give my basses a good thump! In conjunction with the Grover tuners it kept everything solid and in tune.

I normally use my Stingrays live with the band, as the 3EQ allows for some reasonable adjustment on the fly. They have a great presence - but this had something else. Just a real thump about it, which moved the room; I got some great feedback from the guys.

I think the nitro is likely to wear down pretty nicely, to boot.

All in all, I walked out of the rehearsal thinking I'd gotten a great deal. I know it's the first time Gibson have built a bass without a corresponding guitar, and in some ways it's a divergence from their other perennials, but it's genuinely a good bass. Yes, it has some idiosyncracies; but the overall effect is good. It's light; the pick-ups really power it along; and the maple neck is fast and fun to play.

I'll have to sort some pictures out!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1366573669' post='2054363']
I'll have to sort some pictures out!
[/quote]

You will - or it didn't happen! :D Is it a bit like this one..?
[size=4][/size]
[size=4]There's definitely something [i]Fendery[/i] about it. :)[/size]

[size=4]Edit: Aarrghhhh! I'm unexpectedly getting GAS! Nooooo!![/size]

Edited by discreet

That would be the one! Bizarrely, having just bought it a BC'er Tweeted me to say someone had walked in no more than five minutes after me asking where it had gone and if it was still available!

I preferred the sunburst over the clear lacquered finish. Both good finishes, just something more about the sunburst.

Would be good to let a proper Gibson head, someone like Neepheid, have a look and talk about how it differs - both good and bad - from other Gibsons. But I think it's a good bass in it's own right; I didn't really want to stop playing, and that felt like a good sign - a bit like when I got my first Stingray.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1366574035' post='2054377']
You will - or it didn't happen! :D Is it a bit like this one..?
[size=4][/size]
[size=4]There's definitely something [i]Fendery[/i] about it. :)[/size]

[size=4]Edit: Aarrghhhh! I'm unexpectedly getting GAS! Nooooo!![/size]
[/quote]

Yeah, looks great in the white/satin colour. White/tort/RW my fave.

Congrats on the new bass Gus, looks like a good new addition from Gibson there.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1366578197' post='2054479']
I have thought about one of these. Am a long way away in the boonies from any Gibbo holding music shop. Will it do the Jack Bruce / Andy Fraser (Cream/Free) sound?
[/quote]

At a guess: no.

I always thought the secret to that sound, beyond the groovd of both Bruce and Fraser, was the mudbucker at the base of the neck.

You don't get that here. I imagine, if I stuck some flats on it, it would do a passable impression, dialling down the tone. Wouldn't be quite the same, perhaps. No flats to give it a try, mind!

Always welcome to have a go if up in this part of the world.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1366581123' post='2054536']
I always thought the secret to that sound, beyond the groove of both Bruce and Fraser, was the mudbucker at the base of the neck.
[/quote]

I think the scale might also have something to do with it. The EB2013 is a 34" scale bass and the Bruce/Fraser basses were short scale, were they not? Unless I'm very much mistaken - which is quite possible, of course. :)

Very nice, did you get that from Banks'? I seem to recall seeing a couple of nice Gibsons on my last snoop through. Annoyingly, I love the look of it (it's reminiscent of a Sabre, which I love the looks of for some reason), but I know the sound would be all wrong for what I do.

I've just got one of these basses after yoyo'ing between short & long scale and deciding long scale was the way I wanted go. Here are my thoughts......

[size=2][i]When I first opened the case, I must say, I was a bit "underwhelmed" and disappointed; the wood grain has not been filled and the finish looked a bit cheap, but I must say, it "grows" on you pretty quick, its another of those quirky, unique Gibson type things; and now I love it!! Also, they have carved a volute at the weak spot, near the top of the neck; good move, as I know Gibsons are a bit prone to neck fractures; (luckily, I've never had that problem)![/i][/size]
[size=2][i]When I first picked it up, I was [b]stunned[/b] how light it was compared to my Mustang, and doing the "bathroom scale" test it comes in a full 1.25 lbs. lighter, so now I have a solid, lightweight, long scale bass that suits me perfectly.[/i][/size]
[size=2][i]The set up was bob on (for me), neck relief, string height and intonation, all absolutely perfect and the neck has a lovely profile and is a joy to play.[/i][/size]
[size=2][i]Plugged it in to my TC electronic BG250 combo (1 x 15), and nearly demolished the house..... jaw dropping low end Then I set about discovering all the possibilities from there upwards and the range of sounds available on this bass seem endless, mixing and matching the two humbucker pickups with the coil tap switching volume pots, plus the tone control too, seem to give all the sounds one could possibly want or need; truly superb!
I am going to re-string it with my own favourites (D'Addario Chrome Flatwounds), but that's just my personal choice, the bass is just amazing as it is, straight out of the box and absolutely incredible value for money!![/i][/size]

[size=4]So, I re-strung it with the D'Addario chromes, gigged it twice this weekend.............absolutely sooooooperb!![/size]

Edited by onemanband

Quality review from which [i]certain publications[/i] might draw inspiration.

Despite my well-documented, profoundly unreasonable hatred of Gibson's management and it's tatterdemalion business model, I am not inconsiderably more than pleasantly surprised by this outing.

Your new bass is really quite [i]lovely[/i], Gus, and I hope you derive much satisfaction therefrom. Perhaps this is the light at the end of Mr Juskiewicz's tunnel.

Roll on the ES125TDC RI at 'studio' prices.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='onemanband' timestamp='1366636486' post='2055198']
[size=2][i]When I first opened the case, I must say, I was a bit "underwhelmed" and disappointed; the wood grain has not been filled and the finish looked a bit cheap[/i][/size]
[/quote]

I think I called his the standard Gibson "idiosyncracies" - so mine has a little flaw in the scratch plate, where one part of the surface is thicker than the surrounding area. I quite enjoyed the grain though - and I should be seeing a lot more of it when the nitro rubs through!

Bob, yes, this is the one from Banks - Matt, who is their bass guru, is a BC'er to boot! I'd been walking past it for months - every time I'd come back off the road, and finally make my way into town... well, there it would be! I originally managed to wring from the wife some conditions under which I'd be allowed to treat myself, and I finally did it :)

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1366648459' post='2055452']
The more I look at it the more I like it!
[/quote]

Haha, it has that effect - that's how I fell for it!

That odd bump struck me for a while, but with playing it I've come to realise it's not a bad idea for stabilising the bass on a strap - not a hint of neck dive here.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1366646788' post='2055413']
Sounds like its right up my street, just not sure i like the cut of its jib :/
[/quote]
[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1366648459' post='2055452']
The more I look at it the more I like it!
[/quote]

That's a quick turnaround is it not? :o

It's really growing on me too - quick call a doctor!!!!!

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1366736299' post='2056647']

That's a quick turnaround is it not? :o

It's really growing on me too - quick call a doctor!!!!!
[/quote]

It is rather. I think I feel either a black or a natural one coming on. Just need to play one first, I'd love to a/b it against a les Paul bass and my Bob Glaub though. I've had gibson GAS ever since I sold my dear old grabber. That had a great sound but it was just a little too un reliable tuning wise.