Why become a member? ×

"What's your fee for dep work?". Errrr, dunno...

solo4652

Comments like; "Don't do it if you don't like the numbers", just tells me that you don't have the right attitude to do this job.

The first thing I tell the band is send me a set list. If I've depped with them before I'll send [i]them[/i] the set list and ask them to indicate any different arrangements, changes or new numbers.

I don't read fluently so I'll want YouTube's, mp3's or charts.

After that my challenge is to make the band sound better than they usually do. I put the time in “because I give a sh*t” (good quote from Lee Sklar). It's usually a good, focused learning experience.

Professional pride is a big thing with me and while the object is earn money, it is equally important for me to succeed in an “out of my comfort zone” situation and to ensure that I go straight to the top of the band's list of deps.

I think the question of whether or not to have a rehearsal depends on the sort of music being played. We had a dep drummer for some Terrortones gigs last year, and there was no way I was going to take the stage without having played through the whole set at least once with the replacement drummer, so we knew we wouldn't have to worry about what he was doing and get on with putting on a great show. Also while we had good studio recordings of most of the set, a couple of the songs had changed slightly since they were recorded, and we had a couple more that only existed as poor quality rehearsal room recordings where it wasn't always possible to pick out exactly what was going on.

Besides if had turned out that the dep couldn't cut it then we'd have only wasted an evening in the rehearsal room and not damaged our reputation as a band by playing a crap gig.

Good Busking chops and knowledge of tunes is important,
Reading chops a great asset - more options for varied work available [shows and acts/turns and some top end function bands]
If it is just an ear job and you have not done the gig before, ask for an emailed set list [usually one suprise on the list - but usually the same old stuff]

If it's an original numbers one off gig [I tend to stay away from] be prepared to rehearse, it's the bands reputation at stake and less yours.

Being out of your comfort zone, might be a good experience for you - but certainly not the other Musicians working with you.

Pub gigs, around £50.00 is about normal...
Functions/Weddings/Show deps/Corporate gigs anywhere between £100 & £300 depending on distance, finish time
and any expenses involved. Corporate overseas weekends will pay more.

Having an evening suit of blacks comes in handy, any vocals or backing vocals always a winner.
Freelancing/Depping is a great way of picking up contacts.

Above all enjoy it

The objective is that the band will not be aware of any "out of zone" challenges I might be facing. That's the point and the buzz. Get it right so they never know.

The rest of Lowdown's post is spot on.

Unfortunately, these days I'm not on the corporate circuit, but I'm open to offers.

IME, it is possible for a 6 piece band gig to open at least 4 other doors.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1366017828' post='2047224']
Yes, if you are a regular dep, you will have those skills, so £100 is very cheap.
If you are not a regular dep and aren't set up for it, you will need a rehearsal at least.

We have used a dep keyboard player a couple of times.
We paid him £20 less than an equal split, because deps don't pay for rent or fuel or the PA etc.
Was still a good wage.
[/quote]

I think Deps should get MORE than the band members as it's not regular work so they're not having the benefit of recurring gigs and they have to be better than the band members 'cos they're not getting the rehearsals...

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1366022047' post='2047297']
Are there many deps who don't read?
[/quote]

Pino... ;)

Edit: Too many regulars!

Edited by chaypup

I don't read well so it's always a lot of listening.

Never been paid over £50 for a dep but it is pub gigs. I've also learnt around 60 songs before (not my usual genre and they gave me the old set list first!!) then done two gigs for no money as the drummer disappeared with it all :unsure:

My band uses a dep drummer a lot. We have an unusual set list and provide the dep with drum scores in advance. Makes very short notice gigs possible.

Have paid the dep from between £100 to £150 depending on availability usually.

Can't see that it would be possible to hire a dep who can't read for short-notice gigs for songs that they have never heard before.

There is no exact amount, unless you are only prepared to play for an exact amount.

For me, playing is a fun self financing hobby, so if i'm asked to dep, my first thought is not the fee, this is how I evaluate

1. who is the band, are they good

2. will I enjoy it , will it be fun

3. Is the effort (amount of songs to learn, rehearsal) worth it for a one off, will I enjoy that

4. Whats on the table if its not charity, generally if i've ticked 1 to 3 then im happy with a small fee (even 1/5 of pub or small function money), a higher fee is nice (like wedding), but it wont change anything if I cant tick 1 - 3

Also, as a Dep, i've never been asked to pay toward any rehearsal cost, which is the way it should be.

Edited by lojo

I've done plenty of deps for cover bands in and around glasgow. I have been asked this exact question. I always just ask for an equal share. This normally ranges from £50 to £100. I would say though, that these are your run of the mill rock covers bands and wedding stuff so most of the tunes I either know, or know of. Makes life a lot easier. I would also say I'm willing to help with the loading and unloading so the work I do starts to add up. I've been asked twice to join the bands permanently afterwards so I must be doing a decent enough job! haha

I dont read either! But generally speaking, theres no need.

[quote name='bassfunk' timestamp='1366028766' post='2047400']
I normally pay deps the same as my regulars, plus a bit more to cover rehearsal time etc. I see it as the regular guys get the benefit of regular paid gigs etc. The dep doesn't, 30 songs is a lot of work, especially as we change keys and have alternative arrangements etc.
[/quote]

This

We always split the gig money equally with the dep. Normally if there's a bit left over we put it in the kitty but when we use a dep we give them that bit extra.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1366032346' post='2047457']
I think Deps should get MORE than the band members as it's not regular work so they're not having the benefit of recurring gigs and they have to be better than the band members 'cos they're not getting the rehearsals...[/quote]

Exactly. If it wasn't for the dep, the gig would have to be cancelled or played without that particular instrument.

This is also why supply teachers get paid more (on a daily basis) than permanent teachers. Supply teachers don't get paid during the holidays...

I think that any dep should probably be told if you need to turn up in the middle of the afternoon for sound check on a week day gig (well a friday) and not find out on the tuesday after a friendly "alright mate, what time for the gig on friday and where is it?" email. Especially if it's a 2 hour drive away and the bastards know I do a normal day job that doesn't end til 5. Especially when it's been booked for months...
Twats. :angry:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]This is why I left that band....[/size]

My function band used a dep this last weekend as I'm curently awaiting Mrs BITF to give birth to sprog nr 2 - was due on friday......

anyway, this guy is a mate and plays bass in the function band's singer's orig band and is a quality player.
He doesn't read but had to learn 35 songs but with no rehearsals.
One gig was within an hour of 'home', the other was an early set up and late finish over 3 hrs away.
We own a splitter van so he got picked up from home and dropped off again.
Gig 1 was easy and he was home for 1.30am, gig 2 was leaving home at 11am and he got to bed the following morning at 5am - he got paid £400 for the 2 gigs.

Whatever normal bass player's fee is.

There are a lot of players out there who have good ears and a massive repertoire of songs.

If you are serious about being a bass player you should be learning all the songs cover bands are ever likely to do anyway. Open YouTube and spend an hour a night learning tunes you don't know. This will become amazingly simple and easy to do the more you do it. Then when an opportunity comes up you're more likely to be able to cover it.

Having played in cover bands for nearly 20 years, a few things to note.
1. Most bands cover the same songs.
2. Most bands play in the original key and format. If they don't then it makes their life harder when it comes to finding deps.
3. Most pop songs follow a simple format with simple repeated chord progressions.
4. You're the bass player, solos and intros are unlikely.

Really depends what and where the gig is but I do expect clients to play straight and give me a proper 'share' as a fee.

I'm pretty much a 'known value' round these parts, so even if I don't know the band, they know me.
For me, rehearsals are rare though, so I need to keep my wits about me and watch\listen for cue clues. :D

Funniest dep was at a festival a couple of years ago - the deal was done on the steps as I was coming off stage with the band who were just going on. :)

I get the same as every one else in the band. If I asked for £100 for a pub gig that pays £50 to the rest of the band I'm never going to hear from them again. Whether it's a small paying pub gig or a decent paying function I just ask myself if I'm available that night, if I want to do it, and if it's worth it because of distance to travel & petrol costs. I don't normally have to learn too many songs as I've been at this a while and pretty much know most of what I'll be asked to play. But I always do my homework and learn (and chart out in case I need to play the songs again in the future) any songs i didn't already know. There have been times in the past where learning 20-30 songs for one gig hasn't been uncommon but these days it's usually only a handful at most. My approach to depping is simple - turn up at the gig completely prepared, do a solid job without showing off all over the place, and be confident in my playing that next time that band want a dep I'm top of the list or damned close to it. That way, in time, the phone will ring and more gig offers will come my way.

dont assume that they might be happy with you reading from charts during the gig - there are bands who have a 'no charts' policy for fear they give their punters the impression that they havent learnt the material properly (ie committed to memory)

price your fee according to the market - you wouldnt expect to go and dep at a real high end (semi)pro function gig and only ask the cost of an average pub gig and vice versa

if its an average pub gig i would say it would be a fair ask for equal cut of the fee (ie what the regular bassist would have got from it) plus expenses

if its a big fat monster of a gig then nominate your fee accordingly as long as you feel happy you can deliver the goods to their required standard

ed- going back to OP comments you said you had been recommended for it - in this case you need to ask yourself who recommended you and for what reason?

is it expected to be done at mates rates?

is it local muso acquaintances who know of your capability and recommend you accordingly in which case you got more chance of asking your fee above the mates rates scale?

will it likely provide good exposure or networking opportunites for future work?

apologies if any points covered in previous posts i have only skimmed the whole thread :huh:

Edited by steve-bbb