Why become a member? ×

Bass Ownership - Feeling Guilty?

spongebob

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1365137825' post='2035794']
Never meant to underestimate you, bro'. Was just playing a little with the concept of smart bidding.[/quote]

No offence meant, none taken.
The only thing I'd add is "never bid more than you can afford" and on ebay, I guess you should never underestimate the chance you're being ripped off.

:) Rich

Edited by Grangur

I think people get too carried away with what they see as the perfect number; if you have 15 basses and they make you happy, fine. Equally some find 2 too many.

I had a Rickenbacker that wasn't my main bass and I felt guilty that £1500 was just shut away in a case. I sold it and went on holiday. It kickstarted the end of my GAS but I'd never knock another musician for how they spend their money (I currently sit at 2 electric basses but once had 30 instruments in my house)

iain, i am almost 52 now and i have regretted a few sales recently, dont worry about having two stunning rics!!! they will appreciate in value and you got both at great prices , so worry not, i go through those thoughts all the time, i dont gig at all now, i am just recording at home when my fingers let me play. you have a great sounding 4003 hang on to it hard to find!! also your 4004 is hard to come by and offers a different tone from the 4003. enjoy the basses and relax.

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1365110651' post='2035617']
I have three basses I use, .................. This gear brings delight to my otherwise bitter soul and they are my [b]priced[/b] possessions.[/quote]

One of the best Freudian slips I've ever seen on this forum! :lol:

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1365175270' post='2036399']
One of the best Freudian slips I've ever seen on this forum! :lol:
[/quote]
No, I'm from Polane, I make spelling mistakes :P

Edited by Immo

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1365176521' post='2036423']
No, I'm from Polane, I make spelling mistakes :P
[/quote]

Yes, I noticed that & I assure you no insult was intended.
I have a highly [i]prized[/i] bass (to me anyway) but sometimes [i]price[/i] gets in to cloud the issue too.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I think you've talked me around - just keep what I've got and worry less!

I think it's just the demise of the band kind of got me thinking - and it sounds like we've all been through similar. What with the other band chugging around the pubs, I'll admit I could do with a new challenge.

Also spot on about regretting it later, and costing more cash.....so yes, good call.

Good message there - worry less and just play - and don't let me disfranchisement with bands get in the way.

May even stick a pic 'on the settee' over the weekend to seal the deal - never even seen that thread before! :)[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1365174426' post='2036375']
Guilt is a useless emotion.
[/quote]

Sure is - guilt is about the past (which has gone). Worry is about the future (which hasn't happened) There is only the present.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1365092849' post='2035265']
Quite an odd one this.

I own two bass - both quality pieces of kit - both I love and play wonderfully.

However, as of recent times, I now only play in one band, just covers 'round the pubs and odd function since the originals band fragmented.

I keep pondering if I should sell one of the basses - I just feel a bit guilty having two, when it's not like we're gigging every night or even every week! The cash would come in handy elsewhere, but it's not a desperate situation or anything.

Maybe it's just a funny time, but if this band split right now, I think I'd have a gap anyway, as I'm a little jaded with the whole thing anyway as we all get from time to time, especially with the disintegration of the originals project. Don't get me wrong, I'd never stop playing, but it's just a thought to play one bass to bits.

Could be an age thing - I was 39 this month, and years and years more of dragging around the pubs is kind of losing it's appeal - especially after a couple of recent, 'through the motions' gigs is dives.....

Please tell me we've all be through this temptation to start flogging, and just own TBH, what I need?
[/quote]

If you sell one bass buy a double bass with the money. Lots of original bands looking for DB players and it will give you a new lease of life because you'll be starting almost from scratch.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1365176688' post='2036430']
Yes, I noticed that & I assure you no insult was intended.
I have a highly [i]prized[/i] bass (to me anyway) but sometimes [i]price[/i] gets in to cloud the issue too.
[/quote]
No offence taken ;)
P.S. You see? I wrote "PolanE" instead of "Poland". Damn, this smallish netbook keyboard combined with haste results in me embarrassing myself. :D

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1365251610' post='2037200']
No offence taken ;)
P.S. You see? I wrote "PolanE" instead of "Poland". Damn, this smallish netbook keyboard combined with haste results in me embarrassing myself. :D
[/quote]

Think of it not as a mis-spelling ........ but as a D## :happy:

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1365251610' post='2037200']
No offence taken ;)
[/quote]

I clocked that and was suitably amused and impressed at the same time. :D

My take is that while basses (and guitars, and stringed instruments in general) sound great, they also look great , and if you have some way of showing them off , do it . I am in the process of a bit of DIY for that very reason with HID approval . I called at Ian (Rushbo) the other week , and his 'music room' was a gem, a room you just didn't want to leave , simple, but well laid out and everything at hand.
Make your instruments a showpiece and celebrate them, if its your passion then in all honesty they can be (relatively) inexpensive. B)

I own 4 basses, and only 2 of them get regular playing time. Which doesn't mean I don't play the other two at all - I simply play them *less*. Guilt? What guilt?

Don't sell any of your basses unless 1. you're upgrading to sth better, 2. you absolutely have to for financial reasons.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1365092849' post='2035265']
I keep pondering if I should sell one of the basses - I just feel a bit guilty having two, when it's not like we're gigging every night or even every week! The cash would come in handy elsewhere, but it's not a desperate situation or anything.

Maybe it's just a funny time, but if this band split right now, I think I'd have a gap anyway, as I'm a little jaded with the whole thing anyway as we all get from time to time, especially with the disintegration of the originals project. Don't get me wrong, I'd never stop playing, but it's just a thought to play one bass to bits.

Could be an age thing - I was 39 this month, and years and years more of dragging around the pubs is kind of losing it's appeal - especially after a couple of recent, 'through the motions' gigs is dives.....

Please tell me we've all be through this temptation to start flogging, and just own TBH, what I need?
[/quote]

I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm the same---I don't like having kit sitting around not being used. I'm not a collector and I'm not rich---I'd rather go on a great holiday or buy something else that I want instead of having instruments lying around unused, especially when I'm already running out of space. I have two guitars and two basses, and thats enough for me. I like having a "backup" in case of some kind of technical disaster and they're also all sufficiently different that they can be used for different things. I can't see myself buying any more unless my circumstances change significantly.

The main problem with downsizing now is that its a bad time to sell. There are some things that are still desirable but its very much a buyer's market just now. If you're not desperate for cash then maybe hang on to your stuff and see what the market does (I find it hard to believe it can get worse). What you could do is leave one of the guitars somewhere where you can't get it easily (mates' house, in-laws, etc) and see if you actually miss it.

I'm gently downsizing. Selling off cheaper instruments like an Ibanez, Ovation electro-acoustic, OLP and potentially Hohner B2A, whilst keeping more useful/ better instruments.

Figure I'll keep the VMJ, MIA jazz, Vigier, Yamaha and two of the Warwicks. The fate of the Streamline and Infinity are undecided.

In place of the 4 or 5 that go, I'll likely invest in an EUB. Has to be a fiver, though!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1