Why become a member? ×

Micro Thumpinator Opinions? Alternatives

Mark_Bass

[left][size=4][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Howdy guys, i've read a couple of posts from past year of people talking about how good the [sfx]:Micro Thumpinator is[color="#000000"] and I'm strongly considering buying one.[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]I play a 5 String Warwick through a Mesa Boogie Big Block into a Ampeg 410HLF i play a mixture of rock through to drop c metal'core' and im a finger player.[/font][/size][/left]

[left][font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif"]Those of you who own one do you play (or have played) similar style music as me and was your experience positive or did you have any negative results; drop in input volume, loss of tone etc?[/font][/left]
[left][size=4][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color="#000000"]I was just wondering of those of you who use them where in you chain do use them? [/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color="#000000"]The site says that it can be used anywhere between bass and amp or pre-amp and amp (would that mean the fx loop?) [/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color="#000000"]Are[/color][/font][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif] there alternative pedals to consider?[/font][/color][/left]

I tried one for a very short period of time, I use an OC-2 a lot regardless of the genre and wasn't overly keen on how it affected its tone.
I'd like to have a bit more time experimenting, but not in a huge rush

Si

Do you have a problem that the Thumpinator will fix?

Do you have excessive cone movement at any time when you are playing?

I tried one but my Bergantino cabs seem to have filtering built in because I had very little cone movement, even on low notes and at high volume, and the Thumpinator didn't have any effect.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1364652969' post='2029250']
Never used one, I just turn down the Lows on my amp to suit the stage/venue :)
[/quote]

At the mo my bass is running a flat eq with the bass on the amp cut by about 15% I know that the cab im using is fairly 'subby' at times , and i think this is some coloration to some of the notes im playing, maybe its more the case of looking into buying a compressor?

before you buy a compressor, reply to me marcus!! :)

only messing, back on subj. :

i've never tried a thumpinator but FWIW its probably worth investing in one, playing around with it to see if theres any apparent benefit, if not then you can most definitely move it on with very little depreciation of value

[quote name='Mark_Bass' timestamp='1364660501' post='2029359']
At the mo my bass is running a flat eq with the bass on the amp cut by about 15% I know that the cab im using is fairly 'subby' at times , and i think this is some coloration to some of the notes im playing, maybe its more the case of looking into buying a compressor?
[/quote]

Interesting thought, I originally got a compressor because when playing my 6 string tuned to low A I had to be really careful not to let the low notes swamp the mix. It helped a lot!

[quote name='Mark_Bass' timestamp='1364650761' post='2029222']
[left][size=4][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#000000]The site says that it can be used anywhere between bass and amp or pre-amp and amp (would that mean the fx loop?) [/color][/font][/size][/left]

[/quote]

No, it wouldn't mean the fx loop, unless your fx loop is wired in series. Most are wired in parallel (allowing a mix of the unaffected signal and the clean signal to go through to the power amp section). There would be no point in doing this with a low-pass filter such as the Thumpinator: you want to filter out all the harmful low frequencies, not half of them .

It refers to the situation where you have a separate pre-amp and power amp: you could put the thumpinator in between them.

Not sure why you've tagged this with 'compressor'. Thumpinator is a low-pass filter, not a compressor.

I' knew its not a compressor but I tagged the thread compressor because I mention that maybe a compressor would be better suited to my needs.
but if it offends you I can always remove the tag
;-)
Thanks for the advice and extra clarification about the fx loops, I can't say I've ever really used mine so it's good to know

Edited by Mark_Bass

Build your own high pass filter with a very high db/octave shelf. Plenty of diagrams on the web, components will be a matter of a few £ at most. If it works, box it up, problem sorted. If not was less than a beer and a bit of time.

I had one and never noticed it was really there until things got loud and I took it out the chain.

I was running dual 2x10s and it seemed to keep them really under control in extreme excision and the overall rumble effect was gone so the sound was more pleasing too. IMO ofcourse.

I only took it out as my new head has a similar filter built it.

It's just a high-pass filter tuned to filter out all frequencies below 25-30Hz. I'd probably just build one myself instead, and add a pot to vary the threshold frequency. A lot of amps nowadays have those low frequencies filtered out anyway.

Edited by heminder

Thanks guys,
My Mesa M-pulse i owned had a really handy parametric EQ so i was basically able to shelve the low frqs in a very similar way, now playing with the big block which has a much simplier eq i don't get the option but
i'll keep tweaking and see how i get on.
Having sold some pedals i really don't want to start buying new ones if i don't need to ;-)

[quote name='sprag' timestamp='1365298444' post='2037850']
It might be a problem as a low B is 30.85 Hz and I think the thumpinator cuts at 30 so if your dropping down to C = uh oh
[/quote]

This can be an issue, but a lot of the time it isn't. Most speakers can't reproduce those frequencies anyway, and those that can will only produce a very small amount of them. What you're hearing is harmonics sometimes a couple of octaves higher. You'll find that you'll be able to turn the amp up louder without hitting its limits, and saving the speakers! :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1365300802' post='2037854']
This can be an issue, but a lot of the time it isn't. [b]Most speakers can't reproduce those frequencies anyway, and those that can will only produce a very small amount of them. What you're hearing is harmonics sometimes a couple of octaves higher. You'll find that you'll be able to turn the amp up louder without hitting its limits, and saving the speakers! :)[/b]
[/quote]

^This^

Great product. Only bit of sound processing on my board built by someone else! You don't notice it until it's gone. If you get chance to try one out then I'd recommend it. If anyone wants a loan of mine they're more than welcome!

• 2 years later...

The Thumpinator is a smart gadget; you get your filter ready for use, instead of a lot of talk about how simple and cheap it is to build and in the end never do a thing about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I could build one myself, but why should I? Then there is a lot of theories about compressors and eq:s. An eq is there to sculpt your tone. A high pass filter is there to take away problems so you can have your tone. A compressor that is fed with a lot of low note rumble will squash your tone.

I had a very nice power amp a while ago - I was stupid and sold it - a QSC PLX 3402 that had a built in high pass filter. You could set it flat (no filter), at 30 Hz and 50 Hz. (Many PA:s filter out under 50 Hz...) The amp could deliver 2 x 1700 W RMS in 2 ohms, a real power plant. I tried with my Lakie 55-94 into an Avalon U5 into the QSC and then to my old Eden D410XST. When I pushed the B-string towards the pickup, the cones moved to their outer limit. Just like that. When I played some slapping, the cones almost popped out. The volume was "moderate", but remember: it was a BIG amp. I set the filter at 50 Hz: that was not pleasing. You could hear the difference. I set it at 30 Hz: no audible difference from flat! Only difference was you hardly could see the cones move. Conclusion: a high pass filter saves amplifier power and the life of your woofers.

The Thumpinator filters out at 28 Hz. 4 Hz under low B. That sounds like no margins, but at these frequencies 4 Hz is a lot. Since I am lazy, I'll get a Thumpinator to add on my pedalboard, before the compressor. Even if many amps have built-in filter, not all have it...

Edited by bassmayhem

In my opinion, a very worthwhile purchase.
Can't really say it has any noticeable adverse audible effects, but it does have a positive effect on speaker excursion in those inaudible frequencies.
You know, the ones you can't really hear, because the driver can't really reproduce them, but which do make a speaker motor work hard ...and therefore hot.
It sits there, doing what it does, no need for further comment really.

Edit: I play 4 string. I dunno about low b...

Edited by GremlinAndy

Slightly off topic, what would [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Thumpinator do, to say a Meatbox? If you were being DI'd and it was after the meatbox, how would it effect the sound at front of house, would you get less sub bass etc? [/font][/color]

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1451745168' post='2943018']
I could build one myself, but why should I? [/quote]

Because it is the difference between £10 and £115, with the added enjoyment of making it.

That might not matter to a lot of people, but seems a good justification!

I was going to build one, but the Zoom B3 has a high pass filter, so I tried it and it made no difference at that frequency to my setup so it didn't seem worth it.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1365300802' post='2037854']
This can be an issue, but a lot of the time it isn't. Most speakers can't reproduce those frequencies anyway, and those that can will only produce a very small amount of them. What you're hearing is harmonics sometimes a couple of octaves higher. You'll find that you'll be able to turn the amp up louder without hitting its limits, and saving the speakers! :)
[/quote]

+1

my 6 string has a low E, ie an octave below a normal bass, i have no idea what hz that is but its below the cut off but you can still hear and feel it, plus having the thumpinator there at the end makes me alot more comfortable using the crazy octaves that i have and not worrying about super lows.

on the meat box front which i have thought about i think id work it in with a di before the thump, so i could send the dirty to the pa and clean using the new trs out to carry on in the rest of the board

Andy