Why become a member? ×

Recommend a cab for me, please!

Pembo

I'm starting to save for a cab to accompany my Markbass SA450. I'm currently using the 15" cab that was part of my old Ashdown EB180 combo (head stopped working, so removed head and cut the head enclosure away). I currently play folk/ americana/country/downbeat/blues/soul orientated styles of music in the band i'm in. Our music is low volumed and dynamic, as opposed to boom, boom, thud, thud :o Therefore, i'm looking to get a nicely voiced (if there is such a term!) cab instead of a 'Watt-Monster'. I'm thinking that something around 250-400W would be ideal, but also want to keep things easily transportable and relatively inexpensive. Figure in my head is ideally no more than £500 new or £300 used.

[u]Cabs i'm currently looking at:[/u]

Markbass Traveler 102P (4 or 8 Ohm)

Markbass Traveler 121H
Markbass New York 121
TC Electronic RS210

TC Electronic RS212

TC Electronic RS112

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Given the styles of music you mentioned, you wouldn't need a 'T'. I think a Midget would do you very well.
And if you didn't like it you could easily move it on here without taking much of a hit! :)

And a Compact would not be a lot more expensive!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1364251199' post='2023995']
Given the styles of music you mentioned, you wouldn't need a 'T'. I think a Midget would do you very well.
And if you didn't like it you could easily move it on here without taking much of a hit! :)

And a Compact would not be a lot more expensive!
[/quote]

Good point with the re-sale value. Not sure if I would go for the compact. I've got a 15", albeit not great, but fancied something with a little more top end, so will probably go 12".

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1364251485' post='2024000']
I played my first gig last weekend with my RS210 & BH250 head. We're not a loud band and it was a small pub but I had more than enough volume. It was also quite nice to have a physically small footprint. Very pleased.
[/quote]

Yeah, being able to get everything in the boot of the car (VW Lupo) would be a blessing. I was considering getting the BH500 before i picked up my SA450. What's the BH250 like?

A lot of people here don't like MarkBass cabs as much as their heads but personally I think they can work very well. Especially when paired with an MB head.

The little Traveller 2x10 can sound great if properly used and you can find them for £300. I've also used one with an MB 1x15 and the two together are a great full range combination :)

Or you could buy a Barefaced cab and sell it a few weeks later without losing much money - anyone else noticed how often that happens?

Edited by molan

If your current cab is good for the volume of your band, and your budget can stretch to £550 (and ideally another £60 for the cover), the only cab I'd be looking at is the Bergantino HD112. If you can stretch to another £100 then the Baer ML112 and (in a month) the Bergantino CN112 would be fantastic cabs to try out.

I use Berg AE112 cabs, which I think are the best cabs I've ever played, and the HD is supposed to be even better.

You won't believe the quality of tone you'll get by pairing your Markbass amp any of these cabs. MB amps go well with a 112 but if you add a second cab in the future you'll be set for life.

Currently Barefaced don't do a 112 that compares with these cabs. Alex does have a 112 prototype which might do the job, but it hasn't surfaced yet.

[quote name='Pembo' timestamp='1364252779' post='2024025']
Good point with the re-sale value. Not sure if I would go for the compact. I've got a 15", albeit not great, but fancied something with a little more top end, so will probably go 12".
[/quote]

15's do no inherently lack top end, and 10's/12's do not inherently lack bass/low end, it is a widely told myth I'm afraid. There are other factors such as the Xmax and SPL ratings, as well as the cab volume etc that will affect the tonal qualities of the cab, but driver size alone is not one of them.

There are a few useful pages on the barefaced website that will explain this alot better than I can, as I am not an audio engineer :P

I seriously doubt you will be disappointed by any Barefaced or Bergantino cab, as every single one of their offerings I've had the pleasure of trying has been fantastic. (If only I could afford them :P haha)

[quote name='Pembo' timestamp='1364252779' post='2024025']
Not sure if I would go for the compact. I've got a 15", albeit not great, but fancied something with a little more top end, so will probably go 12".
[/quote]

As has been said above, speaker diameter has no bearing on 'tone'. You may find this interesting:

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/speaker-size-frequency-response.htm"]http://barefacedbass...cy-response.htm[/url] [color=#ffffff]m[/color] :)

Edited by discreet

Markbass amps to me sound great through Markbass cabs. The NY121 is a great little cab, I have it as an extension cab to my Mini CMD121 combo, although I mostly use the combo on its own. For the music styles quoted, and your description of volume, a 1x12 would undoubtably do the job fine.

Very much agree with the suggestion that you should try lots of different cabs - but remember your bass in isolation will sound very different from playing live in a band. Alex at Barefaced has a trial scheme in place whereby you can try a cab out for a month and return it if you don't like it.

If you drop Alex a mail with your requirements he will be more than willing to discuss them with you. He is extremely knowledgeable and won't give you the hard sell! If he thinks a Markbass cab (for example) would suit you, he'll tell you!

There's a lot of love for Barefaced, Markbass, Berg [i]and [/i]TC cabs on this forum - the tendency will be for everyone to recommend their own favourites - so it's really down to you! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1364288375' post='2024245']
Markbass amps to me sound great through Markbass cabs. The NY121 is a great little cab, I have it as an extension cab to my Mini CMD121 combo, although I mostly use the combo on its own. For the music styles quoted, and your description of volume, a 1x12 would undoubtably do the job fine.
[/quote]

I gigged for a while with a Mini CMD121 and a Traveller 115 as extension cab. They sounded great together!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1364258210' post='2024104']
A lot of people here don't like MarkBass cabs as much as their heads but personally I think they can work very well. Especially when paired with an MB head.

The little Traveller 2x10 can sound great if properly used and you can find them for £300. I've also used one with an MB 1x15 and the two together are a great full range combination :)
[/quote]

I don't usually speak up for Markbass but I'd look at their 210 range for your gig.
I'd add Epifani UL 10's as well..and possibly EBS.10's.

Aguilar do not make lightweight 10's so would discount them if weight is key...otherwise the DB210 is a great cab
A Berg AE210 would also be on the list.

I would start with a 210... with a view to adding another should you need to.
You are on the right lines..IMO..in going for tone rather than volume.
You can always ramp up to with your amp for volume if you have tone..but if you don't have it with a cab..you'll never get it

Yeah I think there's a lot of mileage in starting off with a 210, with the option to add another at a later date. Vertically stacked 10's are rather nice - plenty of output and good projection - just make sure you get ones that have a tone you prefer, that's more important than volume. And of course I can hear things better at that height too. Just my uneducated view.

Thanks all. Some very valid points to consider, especially in regards to speaker diameter and trying out cabs with my amp. I've always been quite ignorant when it comes to the sound engineering side of things and just assumed the bigger the speaker, the phatter the sound. As for trying out cabs, there's not much scope around Newport (Gwent). I would need to go on a bit of a drive methinks.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1364287602' post='2024233']
When you bought the Markbass what did you try it through? Did you like the sound of it then?
[/quote]
I bought it in blind faith after reading reviews. I was after an amp that doesn't colour the sound too much. Think i found what i wanted.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1364295443' post='2024373']
I'd add Epifani UL 10's as well..
[/quote]
Forgot to consider Epifani's. Have read good things about those aswell. I'm guessing i am on the right track in regards to cabs, just need to save the bit extra i suppose!

IMHO
If you want it to be ultra clean at a markbass cab
If you want clean but a bit more grunt/oomph maybe Bergantino
If you want clean and to work really well with effects probably Barefaced

All entirely subjective but there's my opinion

Charic nails it pretty well there. I've owned a range of markbass, bergantino and barefaced cabs and gigged lots with TC cabs.
I'm the odd one out on that I'd rate the barefaced the least out of all them, apart from their portability, and i found that despite the protestations to the contrary, the compact sounded exactly like an old school 1x15 and midget T exactly like a small 1x12, but the midget took fx well. The Bergantinos are in a different league to the others, Just phenomenal in every way, best bass gear I've bought.
I like the sound of markbass cabs but not the projection which isnt great at filling a room with solid low end, or excessive cone excursion. Which to be fair doesn't seem to hurt them.
I owned a traveller 102p among others and for most jobs it was a great solution.

Out of all those mentioned I'd suggest the TC
rs212 as having seemed the best value for money as a gigging all rounder, you can then add another or an rs210 later if needed. Great form factor, power and punch, tonal versatility etc. just expect it to get shabby quickly unless cased.

It's worth mentioning I used a range of amps with the cabs mentioned, little mark 2, orange terror, shuttle 3, shuttle 6, MoMark, Promethean, crate etc spring to mind.
I also did indoor/outdoor/big/small/mic'd/backline only gigs with them over a period of time, so I'm speaking from first hand gigging experience of it helps.