Why become a member? ×

Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Or Gibson Sg Bass

Jag_Bassist

Hey guys, im looking to save up for a new bass, i want a short scale and i think a more meaty sounding bass will suite the guy im playing bass for. give him a listen for some idea.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4N3S9a_Jqs[/media]

[url="http://www.facebook.com/georgebarnett.uk?fref=ts"]http://www.facebook....nett.uk?fref=ts[/url]

Anyone got some thoughts of if

1) a hum bucker would be good for this style of bass playing ( fat chorus' )

and

2) which they feel is a better bass, Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Or the Gibson Sg Bass.

they both look like awesome bass's, but unfortunately i live nowhere near a decent music shop.

ive tried a short scale before and loved the feel.

[attachment=131001:DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_513285.324_cherry_R.jpg]

[attachment=131002:MX-PawnShop_MustangBass_owtstrip.jpg]

19 year old genius eh? That boys gonna go far.

Dunno about the basses you mention. Gibson don't sell a lot of SGs for a reason and even 70s Mustangs don't sell for much on ebay. You can get medium scale Fender Jazzes and Precisions which would be more versatile.

Edited by gjones

Personally, as much as I love Fender, I think there's better quality in many ways with the Gobson, even down to the hard case/ gig bag included with it.

A few things I like about the mustang is the finish won't wear as easily as the gibson, the one pickup has had good feedback so far as much as Fender simplistic design points.

Both basses, although short scale have very different features. I'd advise you to try both before buying :)

BSB

I just bought the pawn shop mustang today and have to say, possibly one of my best bass purchases over the years. To me it is the perfect shortscale bass can be very smooth and thumpy to very aggressive, it's like a p bass tonally only bigger (yet smaller but only physically)

I haven't played a Gibson SG bass so you can take the above with a pinch of salt

As a gibson lover I think the SG bass is a bit of a one trick pony, the pickups in it are particularly weak too. I'd buy the mustang purely becuase it will be more versatile and more fun? Also if you get bored with it you can sell it to me :)

I don't want to upset any SG lovers as I'm a fan of the look, but my god...the ergonomics are unbearable to me. I was very dissapointed with the sound on a newer model as well.
Mustangs however, I've played and owned a few and they are a great shortscale. Simple to use and very comfy - although I prefer the genuine 70's ones as they dont have a slab body like the new reissues.

Big Big Big +1 for the pawn shop mustang, had mine just over 3 weeks now n love it to bits, I went out with a enough in my pocket to get anything upto an american P or an SG reishue, tryed everything on the wall in Andertons and Nevada music over a two week period and the mustang won hands down for finish tone feel and playability, so i got one :)
Now im just woundering should i spend the 600 quid i got left on a pawn shop bass IV ? B)

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1364180190' post='2022895']
Fender Squier VM telecaster special is a fun bass to play and worth a look
[/quote]

Yes, check this out for meaty sounding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkcmO1DunDU

• 1 month later...

I just returned a Fender Pawn Shop Mustang. I thought the 30" scale is a PITA. (Pain In The Azz) I've had both the Mustang, and the Gibson SG Std. If I was going to do a short scale bass again, the Gibson would be my choice. I use D'Addario ETB92S Nylon Tapewound strings for short scale basses. The 30" scale on the Fender doesn't work right with the silk winding ends of the strings. The Gibson 30.5" works with no problem. Hardshell Fender cases are a nightmare to get. The gig bag it comes on is to long for it.

The Gibson is the way to go.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1367786607' post='2069490']
I just returned a Fender Pawn Shop Mustang. I thought the 30" scale is a PITA. (Pain In The Azz) I've had both the Mustang, and the Gibson SG Std. If I was going to do a short scale bass again, the Gibson would be my choice. I use D'Addario ETB92S Nylon Tapewound strings for short scale basses. The 30" scale on the Fender doesn't work right with the silk winding ends of the strings. The Gibson 30.5" works with no problem. Hardshell Fender cases are a nightmare to get. The gig bag it comes on is to long for it.

The Gibson is the way to go.
[/quote]

Just a tip for anyone buying a Mustang. When buying strings, get medium scale strings as the short scale one`s are too short due to the string through body. Stringsdirect is the place to help you out.

Yours sincerely

Mr Learned from Experiance :)

Edited by jezzaboy

I tried a pawn-shop Mustang in PMT Bristol a few weeks back - very meaty (too meaty for me in fact!) tho' can be tamed by backing off the volume control. Unfortunately, the one that I tried had a fault whereby turning the tone control right down resulted in no sound at all - a worrying QC oversight on a new bass!