Why become a member? ×

Life long Trace Elliot user looking for change but what? please help!!!

big rob

Dear All,
I have pretty much been a life long trace elliot user (apart from my first amp at 15 carlsbro thing). Currently running through a 2x10 with horn for practice and a 4 x10 for gigs. However i'm thinking of changing but would like some advice on alternatives.....TC RH450 etc.
I would like a good onboard compressor but thats about it in terms of minimum standard.

Thanks in advance for your help

Kind Regards
Big Rob

The TC gear is excellent, I'm planning on selling mine on soon though mainly because I've never had any heavyweight gear and want to try something else. Here's what I can tell you about the disadvantages of the TC RH450 that I've found during my ownership.[list]
[*]The volume knob... past the halfway point doesn't really do anything, it's not a huge deal but it does mean a minute change can have a huge difference on volume
[*]Top end roll off, 80% of the time I don't miss it but at other times it does bug me (but then my ACG does have a very lively top end
[*]It has it's own sound, if you told like it you're pretty screwed
[/list]
Advantages:[list]
[*]It is LOUD!
[*]Very versatile EQ if you disregard the top end roll off and 3 x saveable presets
[*]Great built in tuner
[*]Very good / Very nice sounding DI
[*]Good but simple compressor
[*]Tubetone can add necessary grit (although it doesn't get gnarly enough for me)
[*]It's very very light
[/list]
So there you are :)

I moved from TE to TC Classic 450, played through Barefaced cabs, and found that the tone was surpisingly very similar. TC do colour the sound somewhat but in a TE kind of way. At least, that is what my ears tell me. I also have a Genz Benz Streamliner 600 which is nice but different - more Hi Fi. I actually find I am using the TC more - the compressor is very useful, as is the Tubetone, which you can increase/decrease without unduly affecting the volume. The gain on the GB head is obviously extremely versatile, but you need to counter each adjustment with the volume.

Thanks for the hints,

I like to try and get a very even volume across the strings when playing if the top end rolls off then maybe the TC is not for me. I hate losing the definition on the thinner strings.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Big Rob

I had a TC Classic 450, and it was definately the most versatile amp I`ve had. From crystal clean slapping sounds (not used much) to Ampeg break-up tones (used predominently) to pure out driven filth (nah) it could do them all. The Spectracomp compressor I found very good as well, as with the Tubetone. I think if I were to be a session musician, although I love my Markbass gear, I`d have a TC amp as well, for the versatility it brings. And it sounds great as well.

Thanks again all the information is good, i have heard that there is a difference with the RH450 and RH750 other than just the power output, is there a technical reason why the top end disappears?
Looked at the Mesa Stuff also and other brands but not many do built in compression.

Again thanks for the help.

Big Rob.

This is exactly the situation I'm in!.....I'm currently selling off all my older Trace gear to fund a Barefaced big twin cabinet....just about got the funds together. Alex suggested keeping my old TE ah400smx and newer ah500-12 just to see how they fair with the new cabinet.

The tc electronic was the first alternative lightweight option I looked at (the rh450) but I'm now considering gk fusion (500w) valve amp or gk1001rb. Also the mark bass little tube amp gets good reviews.....? Being a trace man myself for the best part of 20years it's all a bit daunting, but, just like Big Rob, I feel the time for a change is fast approaching... :)

Barefaced was ordered 2 weeks ago - so about 6 weeks to wait!

JohnO

I moved from a Trace GP12SMX to a Genz Streamliner because I like the 'fat' sound of old Trace stuff and the Streamliner fits the bill. I wouldn't call it 'hi fi' at all. I'd say the Shuttle is 'hi'fi'. No onboard compressor though.

EBS amps generally have very good onboard compression, in my opinion better than the SMX-era dual band Trace Elliot compression which, while good, tended to suck away some of the low end.

I can't speak for the TC Electronic stuff, I went for a Mesa Walkabout when going 'lightweight'.

[quote name='john_oprey' timestamp='1363901095' post='2019291']
This is exactly the situation I'm in!.....I'm currently selling off all my older Trace gear to fund a Barefaced big twin cabinet....just about got the funds together. [i][b]Alex suggested keeping my old TE ah400smx [/b][/i]and newer ah500-12 just to see how they fair with the new cabinet.

The tc electronic was the first alternative lightweight option I looked at (the rh450) but I'm now considering gk fusion (500w) valve amp or gk1001rb. Also the mark bass little tube amp gets good reviews.....? Being a trace man myself for the best part of 20years it's all a bit daunting, but, just like Big Rob, I feel the time for a change is fast approaching... :)

Barefaced was ordered 2 weeks ago - so about 6 weeks to wait!

JohnO
[/quote]

Thats really good advice, wish I'd never sold mine..

Hi, I had a TC BH500 (which I believe is similar to the classic but with a more traditional, and heavier power amp) and this was paired with a BC 210 and 212. It was monster loud and had quite a few useful features.

However, I knew after a few run outs that I was never going to love it, just seemed a bit 'normal.' After I had moved it on one of my guitarists descibed it as 'characterless.'

I got a good deal on a second hand EBS rig and the HD350 is a stonking head, with lots of tonal variation, compression and drive. I like it very much, and so does my guitairist friend!

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1363983278' post='2020641']
Hi, I had a TC BH500 (which I believe is similar to the classic but with a more traditional, and heavier power amp) and this was paired with a BC 210 and 212. It was monster loud and had quite a few useful features.
[/quote]

The BH heads and BC cabs are part of their 'budget' line. The RH and RS being their premium. They're fairly different in my experience.

I was a large fan of Trace, I had my GP12 SRX and add on 1x15 for over 10years and only got rid because it was on its last legs. I went to my prefered music store and tried every brand in there. Orange, Warwick, TC Electronics, Ashdown etc, but I found MarkBass to be the stand out of the bunch (for the sound i was after) by a long, long way.

Edited by Smythe

I have heard quite a few of these micro heads now and I gotta say, none sound like a TE. I don't think any amp apart from one of theirs does. They have such a signature tone I don't think can be replicated. I do like these micro amps, I think they are great, especially the streamliner 900, it's killer! I would get yourself down to see Mark at bass direct and play through a few to get a feel for one. They all do different jobs and have different sounds.

I went from a trace AH400smx with two 4x10's and a bright box to a markbass LM2 with two 2x10's. never looked back. :)
I swapped to a Genz shuttle 9.0 and barefaced compact/midget T stack which I really didnt like much at all. The head was better when I swapped the BF cabs to Bergantinos, but when I swapped the shuttle for a markbass MoMark I was, and still am really, really happy.
It doesn't sound like a lightweight rig at all, the nearest I've found to that huge, solidity of the old trace rig. But still dead light :) Just not as light as the shuttle/BF rig, but not as light on tone either.
One day I'll get the MoMark graphic module :)

What we need is a micro Trace Elliot that has all what we like about the old gear! Are you listening Trace? Sadly, I don't think there are many close alternatives especially when you factor in a built-in compressor. I didn't think the TC RH amps were in the same ball-park. Not as dynamic and punchy as a Trace and a little processed-sounding. If you are open to a combo I would have a listen to the latest NEO Ashdowns which are due out any day now. (They also do a 1000w Class D head if that's your thing). This will have the compressor, tube and an octaver plus 7-band eq. If you forgo the compressor more options become available - GK MB Fusion and Markbass Big Bang come to mind. Nothing I've tried quite has the same tone and punch of my GP12SMX (though I've yet to try the new Ashdowns yet myself)..

Edited by markorbit

Hi, I used to use a 1210 trace elliot with a 1518c bottom cab which to be be fair had a thunderous sound and the thud was something to die for!
I now use a 450 Rebelhead with a rs210 cab ( I do use my TE 1518c with this rig as a bottom cab as it packs a punch!). This was a big change for me as i simply loved the TE tone but as i'm getting older the TE was proving very heavy and i fancied a change.At this point there were many new compact amps on the market that have a big name and i decided to opt for the RH450 which is what i use now.
I have had it for 2 years now and i dont regret it at all! I play allsorts of gigs from small pubs,big clubs and festivals and it can certainly hold its own for such a small rig.
The difference i found was it was obviously smaller,easier to carry and the tuner is very handy.In my opinion its louder than my old TE it has a cleaner sound and has a wider range when trying out your tones. It has a sweet top end and a big bottom end and if you use the DI the engineers that used mine said it was the best they ever encountered.
It does take some getting used to using the controls but you will soon get the hang of it and it has more useful features than the TE had. The RH450 doesnt have the brilliance of the classic TE tone or colouring of the sound but it does have it own identity and its own tone which is more varible IMO. I'm very pleased with it and i plan to keep this rig for a long time. Good Luck! :)